I've played UO on / off since forever. I end up back on this damn game after ping-ponging around other MMOs. I'm always back to UO, even though I often say "screw this game. Never again!" .
UO boasts the most things to do, and the freedom to do it when I want. I'm honestly tired of the 3D CookieCutter MMO mold where you have to go from zone to zone, leveling, doing meaningless quests, and chasing EndGame nonsense, only to have it nerfed in the next expansion.
Time of Legends recently got me to get back on. It's really hard to say no to dinosaurs, and Minax asking to have her face caved in. It's also nice to see that a lot of my artifacts from the Abyss are still viable pieces of gear. I'm still wearing a Jackal's Collar from Doom!
Naturally, I installed the Enhanced Client, to see how it had improved. It's better than Kingdom Reborn was, but still in need of things. I can't handle the classic one anymore only because the little game window isn't resizeable, and it looks so tiny on my screen. Otherwise, it would be fine. It's still a great client.
Anyway, I noticed basically EVERY shard has a population of LOW. I think I saw Lake Superior hit medium for a little.
What. Happened?! Last time I played (SA had just hit), things were still happening. People were everywhere.
So, I think the game needs fresh blood.
I've been playing again for about a month. I've been experiencing the new content (while fixing my characters to SURVIVE the new content), and I've also been trying to observe things that might suck for new players.
Here are some things I've noticed about the Enhanced Client, and some things I have gathered from friends about what is basically stopping them from trying the game. They favor Runescape. Runescape is essentially UO's competition now. It's not WoW, or FFXIV, or any of the other fancy 3D mmos. It's Runescape. That is the most similar game out there right now...
- The paperdolls in the EC are simply not good. To be fair, the Gargoyles look awesome. The humans and elves do not. The bodies are weird, the skintones are odd, and the faces are lazy looking. I suspect that this is because the gargoyles were drawn way later, by someone else. Unfortunately, players are forced to look at mostly human/elf NPC paperdolls (at shops), and most players. The elves don't even look like the ones presented in the Mondain's Legacy artwork...
- The free trial is only 14 days long and doesn't let you try the newer stuff. The only way to find out if you're into that stuff is to pay. Maybe the trial should allow you to try SA/ToL? Most brand new people spend over half of the free trial running around crying because it's overwhelming. That's UO, though.
- There are EC UI mishaps like hair not sitting right on paperdolls in NPC windows, dye tub/hair dye UIs being wrong (I submitted a bug report about this), and some other seemingly foofoo/mundane things that should probably be fixed. One that is still around from years ago is when the bag grid gets offset from the container frame and just bleeds out into nowhere.
- The house tiles. Kingdom Reborn promised those fantastic looking tiles. I remember them existing for like, 30 seconds. Now, the Enhanced Client has better rock/grass/water/MalasOuterSpace textures, and nicer models for players + enemies... great particle effects.... but the same goofy house tiles from the classic client. They don't sit right visually. I think we all are just used to seeing them and it's like "oh yay, sandstone houses!".... but all of my friends immediately go "Why do the houses look so dumb. Were they drawn with crayons by a little kid?".
- This is just my opinion: Maybe slowly redo some of the music? Most of the stuff you hear is still the same stuff that was ripped right out of Ultima IX. UO used to have it's own tunes, years ago. I think it's time for that again.
- Another SMALL thing that a friend and I cracked up about and admitted it was stupid, but funny: The names of people in Zento. "Rod the Samurai", etc. Maybe a list of actual Japanese names should be the ONLY names that spawn there, and maybe even go so far as to making sure the NPCs there use the Japanese paperdoll face? It would fit the implied theme of Tokuno Islands properly.
These are seemingly mundane things, really. However, new players aren't able to experience Doom, or Shadowguard. The Abyss will get them killed.
So, the above mentioned cosmetic things are really going to jump out more to those kind of players, and probably make them lose interest before they ever get to the cooler content. I think fixing these things would go a long way in enticing new players to come join and stick with the game.
Now, I understand that fixing these things involves time. I think I remember reading that the tiles were half-way-ish, but putting in half of the new tiles was senseless because it would literally look stupid if new tiles appeared next to old tiles. I agree.
I've seen other people's suggested paperdoll art. Maybe better quality paperdolls could be submitted by players and voted upon?
Maybe even for the tiles? It's possible there are enough fans of UO that are competent artists, that the work could just be farmed out to the players, and voted on either internally at the company, or on forums/UO.com? Maybe award the winners with free subscriptions for a bit, or some in-game tokens in lieu of real money?
Anyway, these are just ideas I had, and things I noticed. I am curious what other people's input is.
I would really like to see the population spike again. I'd also like to see some of my friends ditch Runescape for a game that has more interesting content once you get into it...
I'd also like to see Felucca have trees that aren't dead, but that ship probably sailed....