Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Potential New Player Questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Glowyrm

Glowyrm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello folks!  I have been considering playing UO and I have a few questions:

- Is it too late to start as a new player and have a good experience?

- Is the magic of the game still there?

- Are there many people to socialize with in-game?

- What's the best server for PvE?

- Is it terribly difficult to play a mage type?  Maybe I should try melee to start.

- Do archers have to kite mobs?

Thanks for any advice!

Glowyrm

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Hi and welcome!

It is not too late to start as a new player.  Some old vets were actually talking about starting new characters and building them up wiithout any aid from their other characters or from other players.  They determined they would only use equipment found while hunting.

The magic of the game is still here, though it might not shine as brightly as it once did.  The player base isn't what it used to be, but it makes up for it with the quality of the communities, I think.  Best thing to do for socializing, at least on Pacific, is to hop in the General Chat channel of Global Chat and meet all the regulars.  Now if you use a trial account, you'll be stuck in help chat, but just know that once you subscribed, you'll have access to the main method the players base catches up with each other.

I can't say which is the best server.  Atlantic has the most population, but I'm still partial to my server of Pac.  I love the community!  I'm sure others would vote for their own servers too.

Playing a mage type isn't difficult.  Best thing to do is find a Lower Reagent Cost suit as soon as you can.  If you play Pacific, I can make you one.

Hope this helps.

Glowyrm

Glowyrm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK, thanks for the response!

I'm on the East coast of the U.S...Would my connection to Pacific be OK?

Also, do you know if an archer or mage has to kite mobs?  I'm not very good at kiting...

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

We have a lot of players from the east coast.  You could always create a character and Pac and just test the connection.  As for kiting, I think that term came up after my time!  hehe

Glowyrm

Glowyrm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Oh!  By kiting, I mean having to run away from mobs, turn around and use a ranged attack, and then run away again.

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Generally yes, that's the way you'd use mages and archers, but there are other ways.  You could use summons or pets to engage whatever it is that you are fighting.  If the creatuers are targeting the summons, you can stand and cast or fire at them without having to run.

Glowyrm

Glowyrm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Oh, that sounds perfect.  So either a melee type or a summoner that has pets tank for me.  Thanks a bunch!

Glowyrm

Glowyrm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What kind of summoning should I do as an archer type?  Is their animal companionship?

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

What kind of summoning should I do as an archer type?  Is their animal companionship?

If you get the Stygian Abyss upgrade, I suggest asking a tamer to tame you two lowland bouras.  You don't need any taming to control them, but they are quite hardy and they have pack instinct so two of them do more damage together than just a single one.  You might want some way to keep them healed too so perhaps taking up Chivalry would help, which would also help the damage output you'd do as an archer.

If, however, you want to put taming and animal lore on your template, then the pinnacle you are working towards is a greater dragon or a dragon turtle.  Taming is very slow to gain, however, so start your template off with the starting 50 taming.  Again, if you have Stygian Abyss, you can start off taming lowland bouras as your fighting pets or one high plains bouras.

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts

Pure vanilla warrior is the best way to learn to play UO surely and the easiest way to start money wise?

Simple stand still and take the damage and dish it out. It worked for me for years. Fighting earth elementals and golems and stuff. Covetous and the Harpies. Happy times.

Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

Glowyrm

Glowyrm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

OK, I'm finally getting some free time so I'm going to try UO and Shards Online.  I was afraid that the lack of activity on these forums was an indication of the official servers being dead, but it can't hurt to give it a try.  I checked out the UO Forever forums and they appear to have about the same activity level, so I might as well stick with the official servers.

I guess I'll try a Paladin build for some toughness and self-healing.  Is there anything I should do right from the start so as not to screw up?  How do I join the general chat on the Atlantic server?  Are there any Atlantic guilds that are new player friendly?

Thanks!

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

There are several forums for UO too. These. the ones at UOGuide and the ones at Stratics. Judging by one fansite or another doesnt' really do the game justice :)

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Are you starting with a trial account?  Sadly, trial accounts get stuck in help chat to prevent spammers from making use of them to flood general chat with sales messages and what not.  If you subscribe, however, you'll be able to switch to general chat.  You don't really have to worry about screwing up to start.  You can train up most skills pretty quickly at the early going.  Having said that, there are the more difficult skills which, if you are going that route, I'd recommend starting them off as high as you can go (typically at 50).  For me the more difficult skills to initially train were animal taming, provocation, peacemaking, and discordance.

Arkhan

Arkhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hello folks!  I have been considering playing UO and I have a few questions:

- Is it too late to start as a new player and have a good experience?

- Is the magic of the game still there?

- Are there many people to socialize with in-game?

- What's the best server for PvE?

- Is it terribly difficult to play a mage type?  Maybe I should try melee to start.

- Do archers have to kite mobs?

Thanks for any advice!

Glowyrm

1) It's never too late to get addicted to UO.  If you go into it expecting an easy, WoW-like experience, you're going to hurt.  If you go into it expecting a sort-of learning curve, followed by classic WRPG style dungeon crawling, you'll enjoy it.   I've played like 15 MMOs and always end up back on UO, wondering why I stopped playing it.   Chasing the shinies isn't always a good idea.

2) The magic of the game is still there.  In fact, I'd say it's a bit better in some aspects than it has ever been.  We've only just recently seen the game actually relate itself to the single player Ultima series by something other than name-dropping things like Mondain and Minax.  

There are more places to explore than ever.   The only "magic" you'll be missing out on is having people ganking you while you try to figure the game out.   The PK/PvP environment of the game has been dialed back alot.   You don't have to worry about exiting town, getting killed, and then robbed of your entire day's worth of work.

3) There are lots of people, but it's not like old screenshots anymore.  There aren't large amounts of people standing around socializing, because they've added a more modern chat-system thing.   People can apparently chat from wherever now.

I kind of don't like it.  I preferred the crowds of bank-sitting, and screwing around.   This appears to be gone, sadly.  If more new players arrived, it might sort of restart itself.  

4) All of the servers are good for PvE.  That's the game's best feature now.  Play on the one nearest you that seems to be the most populated. 

5) Mages are tricky for new players, but only because of resource management.  Casting spells in UO requires reagents. (Spell components).  It's like ammo.  Without it, you can't do a damn thing.   If you run out of both gold+reagents, you're sort of hosed.   You can find regs on the ground, but that's tedious.   They have suits of armor that lower your reagent cost all the way to 100% (you need no spell components!).   If you can find someone nice enough to help you with that, it's not too bad.   You just need to learn what spells work the best, and when/how to use them all.   It's not particularly hard.   You'll just be frantically running around casting spells, trying to avoid being hit.  Pretty standard for wizards.    Also, unlike other MMOs, magery in UO also provides healing.   You can blow crap up, and heal yourself.  You can also teleport.   Wizards in UO are great.

6) Archers have to kite mobs.  IIRC, getting hit while trying to shoot lowers your hit chance.   There are also bows with Velocity (they get a damage buff when shot from further away).    You can get an archer shooting pretty fast, though.  So, it's  not as boring as it sounds.         Gargoyles can't be archers.  They use throwing weapons instead.   I personally think throwing weapons are 100% cooler than bows.   Gargoyles only.

I see you want to try out a Paladin.   They're a good time.  Ever since Chivalry has been added to the game, it's been one of my goto skills.   You get healing, teleporting, and combat buffs.   It goes good with any weapon! 

• Kayhynn likes this