Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Potentially returning - Hard to start over?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

RamsayIV

RamsayIV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

As the Title states; I am considering returning.  However, how hard is it to start from scratch?  Pretend I am a new player, can I jump in and play and still have fun/enjoy myself? Or am I looking at never being able to get any where?

Just a honest curiosity question. :)

Thanks.

Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde

Ultima Online Devotee and site VIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Depends what shard really. Most shards the existing players will welcome you, help you and shower you with items and advice.

Posted Image

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Honestly, it is much easier to start over these days.  It is much easier to train up skills than it used to be, although it does help if you know some of the tricks.  Still, the good old fashioned plugging away at it will get you up to speed very quickly.  Also, the big thing is finding new equipment.  People activating old accounts will typically find their old equipment outdated so everyone returning sort starts off in the same boat in that regard.  What shard do you intend to play?

Bronx_Ciez

Bronx_Ciez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLS
Sablestorm check inbox, i just brought you in on an ongoing message...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

I can confirm it is pretty easy to start from scratch now.  I make characters on new shards just to start over again to feel the nostalgia.  I try to start over using different techniques.  Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, you do meet people along the way willing to help.  The greatest things to help a new player are: Full Spell Books (for whatever spell class, although Magery is probably the most new-user-friendly now) and full 100% Lower Reagent Cost suit, so you can stop collecting reagents for spells.  This opens a variety of options on how to progress your character.

I've thrown this example out before, but this is just one way that I break into a new server:

1.  Start new character with 50 taming and 50 imbue.  Other skills can be in Magery, Mysticism, Necromancy to get their allotted bag of regs to start with.

2.  Start in Haven and head to the Moongate.  Take Moongate to Ter Mur.

3.  Follow the road north until you reach the big bridge.  Cross bridge and go straight down until you reach an area with Bouras (Lowland and regular are both fine)

4.  Tame 2.

5.  Head back up to where the bridge was, follow road until you find some Toxic Sliths.  They are pretty tough so have to be careful sometimes.  Try to get 1 at a time.

6.  Have Bouras kill Sliths and loot until you are full or need to get new Bouras (the Sliths can kill Bouras so you might need to tame new ones during this)

7.  Once full, head back to Ter Mur Royal City and use the Soulforge there to unravel all of the magic items.  Deposit Gold in bank. 

8.  Repeat.

9.  Once you get enough materials and gold, you can buy a fresh suit of armor (most commonly used is Leather) from a NPC vendor and buy the gems you need from a NPC jeweler to use your Imbuing skill to put Lower Reagent Cost (LRC) on the Leather armor.  This shouldn't cost more than around 5k to do, which you get very quickly killing Toxic Sliths.

This is a pretty simple method, and allows you to start off in the thick of things killing with Boura friends.  Once you make your own LRC suit, you can kill Sliths for a few more gold and use Vendor Search to find a full Spell Book somewhere and then you are pretty set.  Once you work Magery a bit and can Cure the Bouras, that becomes a whole new ball game.

There are tons of break out methods like this.  I like this one because it lets me get into the action from the start and I don't have to go around looting 10-20g at a time because Toxic Sliths have  a fairly decent loot table, especially for Gargoyles.

• Dendra likes this

Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde

Ultima Online Devotee and site VIP

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

If you want to be more independent find your way to Despise, tram and go up to where the lizardmen used to be. The spawn there will ignore positive karma characters, the barrels are not locked or trapped and most of your spells can be found in them. You might need to go around 3 or 4 times, waiting for respawn in between, but even level 8s can be found in those barrels. Strangely they don't seem to have level 4. You can buy level 4 from npc's - not all have level 4, but look around. At least one mage in Haven usually does. I have filled spell books that way.

• Ray likes this
Posted Image

EmeraldKnight

EmeraldKnight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I just returned as well and have to say im loving it! However, alot has changed since pre tram days when i used to play. Im currently on SP for Fel rulesets, but if i dont see much action here in the next week or so (been really slow) i might re roll to atlantic. Miss  the PVP i did log in there the other night, and the chat reminded me of old school uo not much has changed lol