I can confirm it is pretty easy to start from scratch now. I make characters on new shards just to start over again to feel the nostalgia. I try to start over using different techniques. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, you do meet people along the way willing to help. The greatest things to help a new player are: Full Spell Books (for whatever spell class, although Magery is probably the most new-user-friendly now) and full 100% Lower Reagent Cost suit, so you can stop collecting reagents for spells. This opens a variety of options on how to progress your character.
I've thrown this example out before, but this is just one way that I break into a new server:
1. Start new character with 50 taming and 50 imbue. Other skills can be in Magery, Mysticism, Necromancy to get their allotted bag of regs to start with.
2. Start in Haven and head to the Moongate. Take Moongate to Ter Mur.
3. Follow the road north until you reach the big bridge. Cross bridge and go straight down until you reach an area with Bouras (Lowland and regular are both fine)
4. Tame 2.
5. Head back up to where the bridge was, follow road until you find some Toxic Sliths. They are pretty tough so have to be careful sometimes. Try to get 1 at a time.
6. Have Bouras kill Sliths and loot until you are full or need to get new Bouras (the Sliths can kill Bouras so you might need to tame new ones during this)
7. Once full, head back to Ter Mur Royal City and use the Soulforge there to unravel all of the magic items. Deposit Gold in bank.
9. Once you get enough materials and gold, you can buy a fresh suit of armor (most commonly used is Leather) from a NPC vendor and buy the gems you need from a NPC jeweler to use your Imbuing skill to put Lower Reagent Cost (LRC) on the Leather armor. This shouldn't cost more than around 5k to do, which you get very quickly killing Toxic Sliths.
This is a pretty simple method, and allows you to start off in the thick of things killing with Boura friends. Once you make your own LRC suit, you can kill Sliths for a few more gold and use Vendor Search to find a full Spell Book somewhere and then you are pretty set. Once you work Magery a bit and can Cure the Bouras, that becomes a whole new ball game.
There are tons of break out methods like this. I like this one because it lets me get into the action from the start and I don't have to go around looting 10-20g at a time because Toxic Sliths have a fairly decent loot table, especially for Gargoyles.