Stratics Going Pay to Post Model?

There is some new information about how the revamped Stratics will work:

Here's a breakdown on how to earn or lose Trinkets.

GAIN:

•  
  • Registration (New Accounts) 10
  •  
  • Site Visit 1 Daily
  •  
  • Referral Visitors 10 once Daily
  •  
  • Referral Signups 40 (10) times over the life of your account
  •  
  • New Forum Topic 1 once daily
  •  
  • Reply to Topic 1 (first time only)
  •  
  • Favorite Topic 1 (5) times life of your account
  •  
  • Invite someone to a Group (5) daily
  •  
  • Profile update 1 Daily
  •  
  • Friendship 1 Daily
  •  
  • Comment on someone else's profile 1 daily
  •  
  • Join a group 5 unlimited
  •  
  • Create an Article or Guide 50 (unlimited credited when approved and published by editor)
  •  
  • Comment on an article/guide you wrote (10) per post
  •  
  • Purchase 50 ($1)
  •  

Losses (These are always unlimited per day)

•  
  • Spam Removal -5
  •  
  • Removed Comments -1
  •  
  • Upload an Image -1 (Linking to embed images from Photobucket or Flickr for example is OK and no charge, Articles and Guides do not charge just Forums and Activity Streams)
  •  
  • Topic Deletion -1
  •  
  • Reply Deletion -1
  •  
  • Leave Friendship -1
  •  
  • Create Group -500
  •  
  • Leaving Group -5
  •  

Of course the other method to earn the new Stratics currency Trinkets is just to buy them with real money.

It's not really pay to post, but it is interesting way to generate revenue if you want to create groups etc.

I need to look at their Terms of Service. Before when you wrote guides for Stratics it was property of Stratics and you couldn't use them elsewhere which is one of many reasons I left as staff.  As a forum user, I'd be hesitant to post any guides of Stratics owned them.

New owners apply new rules. I don't know what the agreement is now. The last agreement I signed gave Stratics the right to use anything I wrote, but not the ownership of it.

Of course a lot of what I did was merely updating old information, so I don't own any of that.

Yeah I know when Taylor took over the rules changed from what it had been but I never looked too closely.

I'll be honest, I'm a little more concerned seeing the EM's leaving Stratics citing various reasons, but one stating that their identities weren't being protected...which makes me wonder a bit.

Not that my identity is a secret.  Anyone can find out who I am by googling Kayhynn LOL

Much like the situation when the new owner took over and so many felt the need, for whatever reason, to depart from Stratics, this too is not really any of our affair.  Stratics and its ownership is free to operate their forum in any way they see fit - if it offends people, and brings us more traffic, then so be it.  We welcome anyone, regardless of the reason.

However, we won't allow this forum to be used to sling mud and arrows.  Care to discuss things in a civil manner, that's fine.  Politics, pricing, staff issues?  Not fine.  (No, present discussion not included, and is a prime example of appropriate)

Please don't be the person that causes me to close this.

Grazie.

Much like the situation when the new owner took over and so many felt the need, for whatever reason, to depart from Stratics, this too is not really any of our affair.  Stratics and its ownership is free to operate their forum in any way they see fit - if it offends people, and brings us more traffic, then so be it.  We welcome anyone, regardless of the reason.

However, we won't allow this forum to be used to sling mud and arrows.  Care to discuss things in a civil manner, that's fine.  Politics, pricing, staff issues?  Not fine.  (No, present discussion not included, and is a prime example of appropriate)

Please don't be the person that causes me to close this.

Grazie.

I think the major issue alot of people have with it (myself included), is how they are the "official" UO forum. This leaves EA having no control over who post ideas. We all know Stratics has been very heavy handed in moderating viewpoints... not they are basically charging people to post.

I think the major issue alot of people have with it (myself included), is how they are the "official" UO forum. This leaves EA having no control over who post ideas. We all know Stratics has been very heavy handed in moderating viewpoints... not they are basically charging people to post.

I don't disagree with you.  We do have some confirmation that some of the EM staff have decided to no longer participate on Stratics - however, they have chosen to either go with social media, their own web solution (site/forum) or both.  Literally for years, we have been trying to have a more formal relationship with the various bosses at UO, and we have continually been snubbed.  Through all those years, and all the leadership changes, there has been one constant, and that person is still on the staff.  I'll leave it for others to figure out who that is.  And after all these years, we're still being punished.  Oh well - to paraphrase - we don't blame the game or the player -  just the maker.

Normally, I wouldn't care overly much about a bunch of rants and raves on your side of the topic.  I don't see where you (and many others with the same opinion) are wrong.  The problem is, employees of EA/Broadsword don't log in here.  We very rarely have an EM that pops in, but they never seem to post anything - all of our in-game news comes from in-game players/volunteers.  So they (EA/Broadsword) would never see it.

The suggestion I would make is to post complaints directly to EA - not Broadsword, but EA.  Shouldn't be too hard to find out who the boss over Broadsword is.  And start an e-mail campaign.  Beyond that, I have no further suggestions, because -

1) We have no affiliation, nor relationship with, Stratics.

2) We have nothing beyond a very casual relationship with EA/Broadsword.

3) We seem to have NO relationship with current Broadsword staff.

We've tried to make changes with 2 and 3, and 1 had the well poisoned so long ago that there's not enough carbon to ever filter that well pure again.  We are trying very hard to keep the attitude here about Stratics as neutral as possible on an official level.  Anyone that's been here more than a couple of days knows the position of the current staff.  And again, in that light, we can't, and won't, allow mud and arrows, or flames and pitchforks.  It's not our business, and until the attitudes at EA/Broadsword change, we can't allow it to be our problem.

It doesn't sound like it will cost to post topics or make replies etc. IT will cost to upload images to the server (which I can sorta understand) and to create groups/specific forums etc.

And there is no charge here.  

I do accept donations for my sanity fund though :P

If it costs $1 to post a topic on Stratics what will it cost on UOForums? I need to budget how much I can post each month. I don't want to go hungry because I posted a few too many times.

The same as it's always cost to post here.... and while I may be getting old, I don't ever recall a charge to post here... or even a requirement for 'donations' to be of a certain level...  that's the history of the other forum.  So as far as we fit in, your only expense is for your ISP.