Whelp, I am sad to say that the number one worst thing about UO has not changed - after having been back only a week or so. I was lucky in that I had migrated to an EA/Mythic account a bit after Rennaisance/before AOS, but a few of my friends haven't been so lucky. Through sheer willpower I managed to convince THREE of my old friends who used to play with me back on Catskills circa 2000 that the game is worth playing again. They've never migrated an account... so they had to go through that whole pain in the behind process - your first barrier to entry.

Unfortunately, if you forget your UO password from the Clinton era, you're SOL if you haven't migrated. There is NO way to reset your UO account password that I can see --- especially if you don't remember your exact User name. Normally, when you pay for a service every month, you would expect some level of support. The fact that there is NO PHONE NUMBER for customer support is a complete slap in the face. All of my friends emailed "Customer support" and have received no response a week later. What would motivate them to stay? 

This is endlessly frustrating. I feel like we could really be undergoing a rennaisance as most of the other major MMOs are in a lull and some exciting things are afoot in the development community right now with UO --- but what the hell are people supposed to do if they can't log on and EA REFUSES to service the customer? 

The arguments that the team is small or that any of the existing staff are too swamped to support every activity falls on deaf ears with me. This game charges a PREMIUM over most other mainstream MMOs today and yet there is no support to be had. For a time, I had thought that UO was dying because of Renn or AOS era changes. Now that I've been back in the game, I can honestly say it's as good as ever - especially with the EC fixing most of the nitpicky things about the classic client. UO is dying - and will die. "We're swamped/we're busy/we're a small team/It's EA's fault" is no excuse. Hiding behind that excuse is a disservice to your paying customers. 

UO is a game that is meant to be played socially - at least for my gaming dollar. I believe in and want to support this team and this game that has meant so much to me but it seems nobody wants that LESS than the "machine"  behind it.

I know this is ranty, but it is SO frustrating to praise the game up and down the wall to my friends and then have them be completely ignored by "support@gofyourself.com" for over a week and have NO phone number to call and talk to a human being.

I hate to say it, but I think a lot of it has to do with the current manager of the game. It doesn't seem the right people are working there. What do most of them do? Outside of Mesanna's occasional trips to those forums we all hate, Kyronix seems to be the only one that responds or really works on it. If other devs are doing as much, it's their fault for not being out there communicating effectively what they are doing. Mesanna is supposed to be the manager, but it seems nine times out of ten she is doing the work of what a game master or customer service person should be handling. It also doesn't tell us if she could be an effective manager because she doesn't seem to have the time to focus on that with all the other crap she is working on.

Just to weigh in, from understanding and knowing the backside of Dev stuff....

People would be complaining if other people on staff were "wasting time communicating on forums instead of 'doing their job'."  This is an argument I've seen on games where more of the devs were active.  At the same time, you heard complaining from folks that the devs that didn't post much should be.

You have a catch-22.  In all reality, you can either post on forums with regularity or meet deadlines.  The two are not able to be done simultaneously, so if say 10% of their staff (assuming a staff of 20 people) are posting to the forums, I think it's reasonable.

It would be nice if whoever is handling their Social Media made themselves known.

Don't think they have someone directly for UO anymore. It is very cut down staff sadly.

I would suggest emailing Mesanna about it, she may be able to help. Don't remember if she has her email public or not, so if kayhynn remembers, she can post it.

Just to weigh in, from understanding and knowing the backside of Dev stuff....

People would be complaining if other people on staff were "wasting time communicating on forums instead of 'doing their job'."  This is an argument I've seen on games where more of the devs were active.  At the same time, you heard complaining from folks that the devs that didn't post much should be.

You have a catch-22.  In all reality, you can either post on forums with regularity or meet deadlines.  The two are not able to be done simultaneously, so if say 10% of their staff (assuming a staff of 20 people) are posting to the forums, I think it's reasonable.

It would be nice if whoever is handling their Social Media made themselves known.

I respect and understand the spirit of your message, but the fact is that people who SHOULD be 'doing their job' should have a job that doesn't entail addressing these kinds of issues. Conversely, there should be someone for whom this is PRECISELY what their job is. I'm not saying that Mes and the Dev team should be hunting down login information, I'm just saying that they should have someone who DOES do that. 

I understand that, in the macro sense, the team has probably been whittled away to just a core group, but if you look at it customer by customer, it is reasonable to expect that PART of your $xx/month goes into a support mechanism wherein you are enabled to utilize the service for which you are paying the money. When you buy a car, a certain amount of that purchase price is a statistical risk factor of you using the warranty you've been given for that car. It's no different.

I know that Messana@broadsword.com or whatever may be a good port of last call, but my argument is - and was - that there is no real formal support mechanism set up that delivers even ACCEPTABLE customer support. Can you harass the team lead to get it done? Probably, but you shouldn't have to. 

Broadsword has come in to manage UO, yes? Then their customer-centric attitude needs to be different then a single splash page with "Email support@broadsword.com" or whatever it is.

Edit: I will also say that looking through various forms has turned up a number of threads like this. This is pretty clearly a common issue --- if this is not issue #1 for Broadsword, I don't know what is. Veteran's Rewards, etc, are very nice - but what percentage of players is motivated by a particular item coming out (or even worse, another item for sale on the $ shop.) I can just about guarentee you that this system is going to be an enormous barrier to entry for returning players in the near future. Talk about a revenue choke - it's not another colored plant. That makes happy players happier - not miserable/absent players happy.

If we have a R2B, and 5,000 players want to come back and try UO (which is what, 75k/month in revenue?) how in the absolute hell will Broadsword accommodate 5000 User/PN requests? (Not all of them will have forgotten this information, but you get the idea.) 

I have a phone number...somewhere...for UO support.  I have to find it.  However, that being said.  If you can't recall the username and password or even come close to it, you're kinda SOL.  You're more SOL if the email you had it tied to doesn't work anymore.

Now, that being said, you can retrieve your account(s) usernames if your email address is still valid and working by creating a master account, then asking it to send you the list of accounts tied to it.  Once that is done, I do believe there is a way to change the password (i'd have to find out how, but I recall changing my password or retrieving it with my email once I knew the names).

if the above doesn't work (or has been exhausted already) let me know and I'll try to dig up the number(s).

bs1.jpgbs2.jpg

Not a huge staff, but not the 3-4 man crew people have been claiming, either.

EA Customer support - 866-543-5435

Once you get them on the phone, make it very clear that this is NOT an Ultima Online problem.  It isn't.  It's an Origin problem, and you need to speak with someone that understands billing and customer accounts.  Otherwise, you will be wasting your time and minutes.  If they try to send you to the website, tell them that it isn't a UO problem, and if they can't handle it, you would like to speak to a supervisor.  You aren't dealing with Broadsword here.  You're dealing with EA.  They still control the money.

You can take a chance with the website.  They do offer an option to leave your phone number, and I've seen more people saying they get called back than not.  That all depends on your patience level.

But once again, this is not an Ultima Online problem.  This is an EA/Origin problem - Origin as in the online store/billing/etc re-brand, not the Origin that originally produced UO.

• Like 1

woooo boy did Broadsword light the lake on fire last night. Talk about horrible PR. Drop a last minute patch before heading home for the day that with no warning affects the most sought out veteran reward. It's much like I said when the name changed to Broadsword, it is the same people as before, just a new name. Why so many expected a new level of service and communication over a name change is beyond me.

I hate to believe rumors, but it only reinforces what some fired/quit team members have said. The devs just don't understand this game nor do they understand what makes their playerbase tick. The accusation they spend a lot of office time playing World of Warcraft when they should be working on this game is starting to become more believable.

• Like 1