Why I'm quitting this game & a warning about the Origin store.

Hello all, I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible. Please, excuse my bad english.

Who am I? Most of the community doesn't know me, besides a very few players from the Europa shard. I've been playing Ultima games since I was eleven years old. This includes Ultima Online, which I started at when I was thirteen. I've been in love with this beautiful world since then, and I've been playing it nearly non-stop.

It wasn't until four years ago that I decided to hop into the official shards to support the life and the developement of this game, not because there are not excellent free shards out there, but because I thought it was the right thing to do. Yes, I'm one of those "newcomers" that missed the golden era of the official shards. Starting from scratch during the Stygian Abyss era wasn't easy. But I endured and I got to love the new content and to adapt to the many changes. Again, just because I thought inside of me that I was supporting the game I loved. However I never approved the direction that this game took and how it was being treated by it's company. 

Last week, after a total of 36 paid months, I realized that all my hopes for this game are in vain and that there is nothing I'm able to do to keep helping it. Not because I don't want to, but because it's plainly impossible to do so. Not even if I decide to play alone most of the time on a ghost land.

One year ago I decided to buy a character transfer from the origin store. Because of a bug from the website (not my browser) I was told that the payment had failed and that I should retry in 1-2 minutes. So I did. But the payments were sent and I got charged 6 times, yet no purchase was ever completed and I didn't got any of the tokens.

After a long persecution with the support team, sending e-mails and telephone calling, I managed to get a refund. However, the refund only included 5 of the 6 payments. Why? Well, there is basically no explanation. I told this to the support team, and they apologized, telling me that the remaining refund would arrive in 7-14 business days. But it never happened. I contacted them again. Then all the support odissey had to start all over. I had to explain my issue one time and another, calling by phone and chatting with so many different persons so I could have my petition escalated, then I would be told the same thing, and no refund would come. Three times they promised to give me the 6th payment back, but it never happened.

But this didn't stop me from being a loyal client, even thought I felt like I was punched in the face. This could be an error, misfortune happens. It's part of life. "It's okay, it's not that much money after all". 

So I kept playing until last week, when I decided to buy a legacy token from the shop. This time the transaction went fine, but when I tried to redeem the token in-game (after reformatting it myself because origin *still* hasn't fixed the code formats) I got an error message telling me that "the token had already been used". But no token was anywhere, not in my inventory bag neither in my bank.

And the odissey started again. I contacted the support team via e-mail (the now called "broadsword" support), and they told me that to be assisted with this issue I had to contact an in-game GM. So I paged and waited forever. I went to sleep and I paged the next day. And the next day. Until I got an e-mail telling me "To be assisted with this issue you need to contact billing support via e-mail". So I was just bounced back to step one again. I told this to the "e-mail billing support" guys, once again. But I never got any reply. I paged again, in-game, telling them about this too. No reply again.

I sent a new e-mail to the support team, nearly begging them for their attention. No reply again.

So I guess this is the end for me. I've lost again another 10 euros, and a precious time and patience. I won't be robbed a 3rd time. And it's not about the money at all, it's about the principles and the virtues that this game used to be about.

I don't want to discourage anybody from playing the official Ultima Shards, which have an outstanding community you will rarely see in these virtual worlds, but I hope it serves as a warning for potential customers from the origin store. I've never had trouble with the time cards, but I sincerely recommend you to stay away from the rest of products.

Thank you so much to all of the Europa community, specially the CD reigns guild and their leader Aragorn, for all those wonderful experiences I'll never forget.

Long live Sosaria!

Aenvar.

The origin store/EA Billing is a nightmare. A couple years ago my credit card expired so I needed to update the info EA had on file. It was as simple as changing 1 digit in the date on the card. A 2 to a 6. This took 2 months to accomplish including have one of my two accounts canceled and reinstated, calls, emails, web chats....the works. So I feel you brother. Enjoy your time off!

• Like 1

Hey, barmstrong?  You seeing this?  Of course not - you're over on the whiny ass site where everyone licks the soles of your feet.

This is why your sub numbers are dropping.  Love ya.. mean it... hope nobody can do basic math and comparisons over a long stretch of time....

• Like 3

I read the log on LS and was just in shock. I've never had anything against her personally, but she just doesn't carry herself professionally enough to be in charge of a project like this. I speak from experience as a project manager, you can't ever belittle your client, or in this case, clients. I know she doesn't like to hear the same question over and over again from players, but god bless, the game is managing to attract new players now and then... and surprise they ask the same question over and over because you've outsourced all information management for your game to uoguide and stratics rather than properly operating a manual on uo.com like the original days. So when they ask you the same question for the 1,000th time, don't belittle them, don't be dismissive, don't be snide, and don't try to make expense of them in front of their peers. Be polite, say thank you, say it has been addressed before but you're happy to inform them this is the answer.

Quite frankly, if I was her boss, I would have fired her on the spot for the tone she has taken with the clients (us, the customer base). I know the truth, however, is her boss, or whoever is responsible for her in the corporate tree, could give two damns about knowing who she is or what she is up to with such a small but surprisingly surviving game.

• Like 3

I'm also pretty astounded by what I heard Dot say about the Nails Warstein impostor on Atlantic in the recent governor election. Messana in the end said it was her policy to not get involved and discouraged any further discussion on the topic. Essentially the breaking of the ToS is our problem to deal with, not hers, unless it is an attack on her.

I am midly entertained that she says to email her.

I emailed her questions for an interview for Video Game Scoreboard and have received one reply and nothing since, despite my follow ups.

I've emailed TWICE now regarding getting UOHomeDecor listed as an official fansite and not a reply back.

• Like 1

Stupid question, but you copied and pasted it directly as is from the email into game?

Thank you for your continued efforts in helping me. Sadly, I've also tried this and it didn't work either.

The error says "The code has already been used", so yes the token must have been redeemed somehow but I haven't received it, and I'm 100% sure about this because I've looked everywhere 3-4 times already (even in the house's moving crate), it must have been lost because of a bug or it is there but its invisible or whatever... I'm clueless. I believe the issue might be related to trying to redeem the code from the Enhanced Client, because that thing is buggy as hell... Or maybe not? Whatever, who knows...!

Her answer to everyone is to email her. I think its probably safe to say on a good day, she has probably 10 or so emails waiting for her. On a bad I've heard it can be a hundred. How is she even getting any of her normal work done? It shows failure to fix the support system that is supposed to be helping players with their issues.

Free shards are ran usually by a couple people, nowhere close to the team Mesanna has working for her, yet several of them have been able to resolve support issues... why can't Broadsword?  Maybe that is why many free shards average more people online than even Broadsword's most populous server, Atlantic.

The origin store/EA Billing is a nightmare. A couple years ago my credit card expired so I needed to update the info EA had on file. It was as simple as changing 1 digit in the date on the card. A 2 to a 6. This took 2 months to accomplish including have one of my two accounts canceled and reinstated, calls, emails, web chats....the works. So I feel you brother. Enjoy your time off!

Touching on the EA billing system...

When my debit card expired and I got a new one (same number, same expiration month just it expires in 2017 instead of 2013), I tried to update my accounts with the new card, it wouldnt take because it says card was already entered, I guess they dont recognize expiration dates... Had to move it to my credit card... f'ing stupid.

When my debit card expired and I got a new one (same number, same expiration month just it expires in 2017 instead of 2013), I tried to update my accounts with the new card, it wouldnt take because it says card was already entered, I guess they dont recognize expiration dates... Had to move it to my credit card... f'ing stupid.

Ugh, this is still an issue then I presume. Im relocating soon and will have to change my entire card info. YAY!! This will be a good time, I can already feel it.

• 1 month later...

I wish I had seen this sooner.  I went through ten kinds of hell when I tried to purchased the Kings Collection.  According to Billing support my credit card got blacklisted because of the Kings Collection screw up.  Then I had a different person say it wasn't.  I spent a solid month fighting with them. I was just going to let Amex(American Express) get my money back and my card cleared. I was told if I filed a dispute they would ban my Master Account. I even tried going to their corporate level, the nice reception connection to a woman's voicemail.  I left a massage and this guy from EA calls me back screaming at me as to how I got the woman's voicemail. This guy I had dealt with like a year before on another account issue.  He acted like a total troll. Finally Mesanna got involved and got it straightened out. I had emailed her to start.  I have my Amex on file to pay my monthly subs. IF I buy anything from the origin store I buy the EA cards from Wal-Mart.  http://www.ea.com/1/game-cards. I'm sorry you had so much trouble. I'm sorry you quit. just know that we do feel your pain.

When you go to change your card, you have to delete the existing ones. to do this go into your account where it asks you to put in the credit card, and up in the upper right corner of the screen is a link for "Manage Accounts" after you press this link, you will be able to delete the old card and put the new info in.

• Like 1