Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Stuck on Taming Skill

- - - - - skill stuck taming

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Jakar

Jakar

I'm very sneaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
I just reached 76.4 in my taming skill doing mostly stuff from Ice island - 50-65 polar bears; 65-76.4 snow leopards. But now, I am stuck. I use stratics taming calculator to see what percentages I have for a taming an animal, but all the ones that fall within the gaining range (35-55%) seem to give me little to no gains - including great harts, white wolves, etc... :-/

Anyone have a solution to my situation?

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Let me mention two things.

1. You will go thru some dry spells with skill gain. Don't know why it happens it just does.

2. I recommend that you use the calculator and tame the ones you have the highest percent chance (less then a 100% success chance). Remember you only get a skill gain check on a successful tame. So it stands to reason the more successes the better the chance for a gain.

So I would recommend horses, giant rats, llamas, forest and desert ostard at your present skill level.

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Leave it be for a bit. Wait till your next GGS gain is ready till you start again. This usually kickstarts the gaining again...

Posted Image

Jakar

Jakar

I'm very sneaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Thanks you two. I hadn't tamed since yesterday, and didn't tame all day today. Just did my taming for the first time today and already gained .3 in 10 mins. Guess I just had to wait.... so much for GMing before the week's end. :P

TyphusReturns

TyphusReturns

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
yeah i gave up on my tamer on chessy along time ago...i got 120 lore with the vet trick with 2 polars ALONG time ago... then i started on the taming again and it has been stuck in the 80s for about 2 years... i just said the heck with a tamer and started a warrior...then i got into pvp.. imagine that...

Anyways...Good luck and more power to ya... its gonna be a long road ahead of you.. =)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Who's Next? is it YOU?!

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Still not a legendary and its been years just gave up and where jewels to 120 when needed
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
I have done mostly GGS's since about 75 (88 jeweled) on Gamens. Currently at 108.2 (not jeweled) and still doing Gamens.

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Dip are you on now?
Posted Image

DiP

DiP

The Anti-Adam (which means I'm cool)

• Members
  • 9,578 posts
If you meant now, then yes :)

Posted Image

Thanks again Maddux!

Adri: women don't discuss men while in the bathroom, we sacrifice small animals and smoke tampons *rolls eyes*

Adam: aye and in order to expedite the production of solidiers, i kill off the old people (Carp was right, Adam IS evil!)

moxie_denzien

moxie_denzien

resident red robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i know!

i've been stuck on 77 - for days!

Rascal

Rascal

Madam of Mayhem

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
I did ggs in Pacific from 95 to 120 :laugh: took a while but I found myself less frustrated in the end.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

moxie_denzien

moxie_denzien

resident red robot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ggs?

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
ggs=guaranteed gain system

click here to read about it
Posted Image

Erucid Starr

Erucid Starr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
My advice,

No matter what the skill you want to attept to perform the action that gives you a 50-65% success rate. You don't gain much on things that are too easy. If you fail half the time, you are more likely to get a gain.

Taming is boring, time consuming and a pain in the butt. Then when you get skillful you can attept to boss around powerful creatues with a stupid AI and horrible pathfinding. But on a good day, being a tamer is awesome.

While I have you attention.. how many tamers have died by saying "All Kill" and missing the enemies stat bar and hitting your own. (or another pet, or a guild mate) That is so friggin agrivating and should be a feature in game without an "Ok?" pompt.

Craig

Craig

wanna be mage/tamer of europa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes i agree with most people it is the most tricky skill of them all in my view and i have jewels to boost me up gd luck tho :)

Jakar

Jakar

I'm very sneaky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Well since my last post, I've had no problem what-so-ever gaining taming skill. I found that its easier to tame creatures you have a high success chance with, like at least 50 and all the way into the 80 percent range. I tamed snow leopards, mixing in polar bears, walrus's, and the occassional white wolf all the way to 85. Now, got no problems getting into the 90's with great harts, and other monsters in that range.

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Congrats!!

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Unsupportable

Unsupportable

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
I've died countless times to my Cu Sidhe. Since he kills my tamer in one hit. I got a MKage Spellweaving Tamer. I found out last nite that if i'm care full I can solo Lady M with him :)

Dispelling the revs is hardest.

With reguards to taming, I'm gonna work it up tonight for 3-4 hours. And do GGS from now on. He would be 110 by now if I'd done GGS with him. I think I got 115 Taming and Lore scrolls on him.

I'm at 85, what should I tame???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts
Assuming your lore is the same of your taming, I would tame aligators, bears, cougars, death watchbeetle, or scorpins. Pretty much go to stratics put in your taming and lore skills and tame anything with 75-90% sucess rate since you only gain when you sucussfully tame
Posted Image

Baldguy

Baldguy

AKA Thom O'Bedlam. Got a Question? I got a link for ya!

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
Also, use jewelry to keep you in the same range for longer periods of time. This works great for the denser spawn areas, like T2A. You can tame there longer, and gain faster by juggling jewlery. Need a range of +taming / lore skill points so you can make minute adjsutments as needed.
Best bet is to get taming as high as you need before you raise any other skill, except lore. This will allow you faser gains under GGS.

Useful links

[UO:F Common FAQ] [UO Guide] [Official UO Play Guide] [UO Feedback] [More Links, gathered by the Forum]
[B][SIZE="3"]Got a Question, or a great answer? PM me with it and I will post in the FAQ.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skill, stuck, taming