Meet the new boss - same as the old boss. And both are full of sh*t

Greetings, Avatars!

Thank you for participating in our Plantronics promotion and signing up for our Early Access Giveaway. We are approaching the launch of Pre-Alpha Release 7 (R7) and look forward to you joining us! The R7 early access weekend starts at 10:30 am CST, June 26, and runs thru 10:00 pm CST, June 29.

To access the game you will need to register at www.shroudoftheavatar.com using the email address that you are receiving this email at. On Wednesday, June 25th, you will receive an email notification containing instructions on how to install and play the game. You will be able to login and play for the duration of the R7 early access weekend.

If possible we ask that you complete your registration on our site by midnight Tuesday June 24th to ensure you receive instructions on how to install and play the game during the R7 early access weekend. Registration after that time will still allow you into the game, and you can instead find the instructions on our website.

We hope you are able to join us and we look forward to seeing you in Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues!

Richard “Lord British” Garriot

Note the bold in the middle?  It doesn't say might, or maybe, or possibly... it says WILL.

10457472_327005140783697_666367013904907

So much for 'winning' anything.  I'll not pay $45 US to ALPHA test something for this guy.  And I seriously doubt I'll waste my money when it comes time to consider an actual retail product.  This is dishonesty at it's most flagrant.

After some griping, and 2 patches later, it's actually possible to log in now.  Still disconcerting that they didn't have this ready as advertised, but they did fix it.

I'll forgive some of the pre-Alpha issues, but much like Shards, I'm not certain I see the wisdom in the release, at this stage, to non-backers.  There are things that look promising (crafting), things that are worrisome (transfer speeds sitting at the top of things they can 100% control right now), and things that are meh (housing - sort of bland, and not really customizable - don't know if this is a 'yet' thing or wysiwyg for all of eternity).

Still nothing to make me want to pre-invest.  They've made over $4 million so far, on something that, in their own description, is pre-alpha.  And I still don't believe it's proper to make people pay cash for something that, despite some really weak protestations to the contrary, is key to this game, that being housing.   At one point, I paid 1.5 million gp for a small marble workshop, not too far from the Humility shrine - took forever to earn that amount (or so it seemed), yet I was able to earn it in-game.  Still not seeing a mechanism for this in SotA.

We'll see, but I'm still far from convinced.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots and houses will be an in-game purchase option, but the reason it is called pre-alpha is that it is far from feature complete...One concern I share is the housing (if we're stuck with standard houses, at least give us some skins to chose from (i.e. chose between one or more bare stone or plaster options), and the option to change colors, so we can have more diversity color wise)!

I have invested a relatively small amount, and got myself and my son up to a pledge level with housing through pledge referral rewards. That is why I can "afford" an optimistic attitude. I am active on the SotA Dev+ forums to share my view on things, and give suggestions where relevant.

• 6 months later...

I'm all in for this game. Yes at it's current stage it's not for everyone and going in this early can put people off, so yes a tricky decision on thier part. But I'm happy they made it and it's really moving along as we approach pre-Alpha Release 14.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I'm all in for this game. Yes at it's current stage it's not for everyone and going in this early can put people off, so yes a tricky decision on thier part. But I'm happy they made it and it's really moving along as we approach pre-Alpha Release 14.

Sorry for the thread revival.  I saw this while skimming where to post something completely unrelated.

It's too bad the game is nothing like what was originally stated in the Kickstarter.   They chased the money and went with the vocal "Make UO2" crowd.   

So all of us that backed this expecting a single-player-style Lord British game have gotten hosed.

Even with the latest releases, I personally think the game feels dated and out of touch with where CRPGs have gone in the last 15 years.   Some of the stuff that lends itself well to UO (an isometric 2D game) do not work as well with a 3D, third person game....

I dumped my Lord level pledge and downgraded all the way down to the bareminimum one that lets me play the ill-fated game when it is finally out.