Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Is UO Still Worth Starting?

- - - - - starting uo worth

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Ravenmane

Ravenmane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Greetings,

I was just wondering if UO would still be worth joining. I only ask because I want to be a part of something that will be around for a long time. I know UO has been around for years now (the first MMO) bu it keeps getting new content and people that I know that play love it like I have seen no fan love their game. So I would just like an honest opinion in response to my question if I should start playing UO. Thank you for your time.

-Ravenmane

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
So you come to where the addicts are and ask if it's worth it :P .

I would say yes. I have played for four years and love it still. The people will make the big difference.

Vepl

PS Welcome to UO Forums and hopefully to UO

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I think its worth it! There are so many things to do/try! Why not give it a test run for a month?

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Santi

Santi

El Mero Mero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
I think it is definitely worth it. Been on for 6 years and have recently brought my mother, sister, brother and niece into the game. They love it.

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I have been on for over 6 years, both the wife and I love the game. I am sure it will be on at least a couple more years. So yes I think it would be worth it

Posted Image

Vectus

Vectus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Yes it is very worth.

I just started playing again a week ago I guess and its the most fun I have had in a long time. It was a little difficult at first with all the things that are different but I am really enjoying it now.

Play on Atlantic! The guild I am in takes in new players and sets them up with a house!
  • Jazz likes this

Cerwin Vega

Cerwin Vega

Legendary Pimp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
ya its worth it, i been playing for 3 years and i like the game alot. ive tried to play other games but i always come right back to uo.
  • Jazz likes this

Som

Som

Nomad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Greetings,

I only ask because I want to be a part of something that will be around for a long time. I know UO has been around for years now (the first MMO) bu it keeps getting new content .....(clip)

-Ravenmane

as for being around for a long time as you point out it was the first MMO and it is still here and still making money for EA.

Their is a new client coming out that will update the look and has a new interface that will be easier for new players to learn witch should bring in more people to the game.

Most of the plans that I have heard about from EA are geared for the future of UO.

UO has been around a long time and is very stable because of it. Where newer games are still trying to stabilize there servers the UO team can look towards game play and content and that allows them to look further down the road then most.

So yes it is worth starting! it will still be here for many more years.

Oh ya and its alot of fun to :grin:

*Insert fabulous signature here*http://www.uoforums.com/image.php?u=2091&type=siguploader&dateline=1114833635

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
My 9 year UO anniversary was 6 days ago. Considering I've been "committed" to this game longer than anyone or anything else in my life, I bet you can guess what I'll say about joining! :)

I don't know of any other game with as much staying power - and believe me, I've tried a lot of them.
  • Jazz likes this

Shayla LaVeaux

Shayla LaVeaux

never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I agree with everyone else... yes it's worth it! I've played UO off and on for 9 years now and it is sooo much fun. I love it. I've made some of the best friends I've ever had thanks to UO. I just recently came back after about a 5 yr hiatus and I am having a blast. Give it a shot! :)

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
I started in 97, and have quit 3 times and come back each time. Everytime I quit its cause I get bored or have real life to tend to, but each time I take a break I come back. The last time I quit I thought it'd be permanent but I tried UO out again, and man, it's great. So much to do, so much to see, and now that KR is going to come out soon, I'm going to even have more things to explore.

Jazz

Jazz

The Ravenswood Alliance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
I think you'd find it worthwhile and enjoyable, assuming you get in with a good group of people to play with. That seems to be the deciding factor in who loves it and who doesn't.

And even though the game look easy, its actually quite complicated and it helps tremendously to have friends who can guide you through the early stages.

Atlantic is the most populated shard, so you might want to play there to have more people to play with. If you decide to play and come to Atlantic send me an ICQ message and I'll be happy to help you get started.

Lord of Shadows

Lord of Shadows

No Rest for the Wicked

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 820 posts
I have been playing UO since 1998. Off and on again I have been playing. I took a break to play EverCrack, Galaxies, and even a couple of player run shards, but have been back to UO for the past 2 years and am not going away. It is the best IMO. I won't make the mistake of going away again. In my opinion, well worth even starting now.

PS...woot! 100th post!
Guildmaster, No Rest for the Wicked (NRW)
Hokuto

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts

Greetings,

I was just wondering if UO would still be worth joining. I only ask because I want to be a part of something that will be around for a long time. I know UO has been around for years now (the first MMO) bu it keeps getting new content and people that I know that play love it like I have seen no fan love their game. So I would just like an honest opinion in response to my question if I should start playing UO. Thank you for your time.

-Ravenmane

Haha your asking a bunch of UO'ers =P Of course we will say it is worth it! But yes I do agree with the previous post... just do a free trial thingy to see if it is worth playing for you... many have diffrent games that call to them and others go BLEH! Like my darn WoW'er friends >_< Wouldn't touch UO with 100 foot pole other than to impale it and insult the heck out of it... there mean...

He hasn't even gaven it a chance and still hates it haha! Ah well other than that he is a good friend ^_^

But to me, yes UO is worth it! A totally diffrent game than any other out there, all the others seem to be copy cats of each other, UO seems as it has stayed on its own ideas and such making it unique and original!

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

I think you'd find it worthwhile and enjoyable, assuming you get in with a good group of people to play with. That seems to be the deciding factor in who loves it and who doesn't.

I have to agree with Jazz, the people you play with can either raise UO to stratospheric heights, or turn it into a dire and boring mess. I wouldn't nessc. reccomend UO as a solo game ... there are others prettier and more involving, but with a few friends it comes into its own. Group pvp and pvm, champing, roleplaying, all of these become utterly uber with the right people.

I used to have plenty of free time, and very good people to play with - while both of these were true, there wasn't a game to beat UO for me. Once they stopped being true, I drifted off and left.

As far as longevity ... I don't think EA would be investing in the Kingdom Reborn client if they didn't expect to have UO around for a fair old while yet ... and there are some people who will be logged on right up until the last shard goes down at the bitter end ... then switch to a freeshard :P. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
I've played over 5 years. Like many others I ebb and flow, meaning I have times I play a lot and times I just log in to see if my stuff is still there. :) Right now I am having login issues, probably due to my stupid DSL messup, but am very much looking forward to the new things coming out in the Spring and wanting to get on to go hunting with my neighbor.

It matters very much if you are hanging out with someone who enjoys the game. Good friends always make things more fun and the game is no exception. There are some fine guilds you can join to get the hang of it, and here is likely one of the best places to find a good guild. IE one that has the sort of gameplay you might prefer. Some are just there, with little or no help or camaraderie for each other. I wish you many enjoyable years on the shard(s) of your choice!!

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
Also forgot to add... I have played alot of MMORPG's and UO has the best community I have ever seen. I mean there is still some jerks, sore loosers, ejets, err well you know all those but it seems the people in UO who are nice totally out weigh all them types... and seems to be awhole lot of them too. (of the good ones I mean) Good place to make friends!

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Ravenmane

Ravenmane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Greetings Again,

I thank you for your input. I think a few of my biggest fears about UO is that fact that I am not in contact right now with anyone who plays that I consider a friend, being in the military does that. I admit I am a WoW'er and yes it is a great game. But it has stopped becoming the casual players game that it was supposed to be because people take it too seriously. I just want something fun to play (I can generally get along with any game), that is aimed to the casual and the hardcore (I stress casual because of that military thingy again :P). Another thing is that some people I have talked to though say it's great but what a lot of people new to the game hate is the fact that all these other characters with better gear just come and butcher them. I am a PvP'er through and through, but even I know when things are too unevenly matched.
Another thing is that fact I know nothing about UO other than I've played every Ultima game that ever came out and found them enjoyable just because they were incredibly easy to interface with and get into the story. Anyway, thanks again for your time.

-Ravenmane

RMS Carpathia

RMS Carpathia

Madien of the Great Blue

• Members
  • 2,443 posts
My freinds are here on UO:F to be honest... but they are nontheless UO'ers!

I solo all the time in UO, it is easy enough especailly with certain templates which I am sure people here will help you with that sense I am not a Vet player... just an advarage one hehe

I can understand the military thing... awhole lot. My dad was in it, always having to go to new places seeming every 5 years. I make a friend and totally loose it, make a friend and loose them again. Eventally I got used to that and never made a "in state" friend ever again... even after my dad leaving the military for retirement I just didn't care to have one after that... people in school totally thought I was an anti-social little snot but I just didn't want to get close and loose them because it was my last year in school (at the time) and here I graduate and never speak to them again... one managed to get through my barrier but as I predicted... I lost them too.

I found internet friends, when you find the right one are the friends made of gold... they are used to being far away from you, they have a life and you too have a life so if you are gone away for awhile... you come back talking as if you left the last conversation yesterday or something... or least mine are that way... go auido, maybe play games togeather sometimes just so it looks like there is a physical apperance and make the best of it... fun times I have had with them Online friends

-RMS Carpathia-
Posted Image

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts
Ravenmane if you want to PvP. It will take some time and money before you will be ready for that.

Not sure what you call a "casual" player. For me that means a playing an hour or two here and there. If that is the case expect to spend a long time just getting skilled enough to try. Then you have to get/find the items to make your suit the way you want it. So if you want a game that you can start today and PvP tomorrow. Don't pick UO. Unless your idea of PvP is constant dirt naps :P .

Vepl

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Another Quality Job by Atlas607

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: starting, uo, worth