Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

New studio to make UO/Sandbox styled MMO

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

Experienced MMO developers announced Citadel Studios, an independent Washington D.C.-based company that's developing sandbox-style, open world MMO in the vein of games like Ultima Online.

The studio was quietly founded in July last year by CEO Derek Brinkmann, art director Chris Ondrus and creative director Tim Cotten, who collectively have worked on games including Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online and the Elder Scrolls series.

The studio’s first project is Shards, a Unity-powered 3D top-down isometric MMO for PC. Citadel’s website says the team wants to experiment with non-XP-based character development.

The rest of the story is HERE.

This sounds interesting, and has a good squad behind it for a change.  It's definitely something I'll be keeping my eye on.

• Kayhynn likes this

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

Rumor has it Chrissay is on the team too, but nothing official to back that rumor.

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Sounds interesting.

I hope it does not take too long to develop

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

The crew is all names we recognize:  http://citadelstudio...t/?page_id=2134

And more information on Shards (more than their official website for the game) is found here:  http://citadelstudio...t/?page_id=2021

And of course, if you're looking for a job with them: http://citadelstudio...t/?page_id=2179

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

going to follow this! though with a healthy grain of salt

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Hate to bump old topics but its the open alpha weekend, more info @ http://citadelstudios.net/?p=2458

It's very basic right now but its only 250mb :)

• Kaelyn likes this

Guido

Guido

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

Downloaded it.  Pretty fast.

Installed it.  Pretty small.

Logged in - 22 players across 8 servers - pretty inactive.

Played 10 minutes - waited for someone to yell - The eyes, Boo - go for the eyes!. 

Pretty disappointed...  Realize they dropped the NDA, but this really isn't review worthy.  As is, it's not ready for prime time.  People don't always want, or require, 2014/Crysis 4 graphics.  But it's fairly certain that people are not that nostalgic about 90's graphics either.  It's basically full screen UO CC, at 1920x1080.  And in this case, that's NOT a good thing.  Hope things get a lot better between now and release, or I don't see this lasting for an extended period of time.

Esse Quam Videri

fs_pc.png

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

UOForums Owner/EOGamer CEO

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Honestly too many people are simply chasing a dream. UO was a unique experience that you cannot recapture by simply rehashing what it was.

• Sufikation likes this

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Downloaded it.  Pretty fast.

Installed it.  Pretty small.

Logged in - 22 players across 8 servers - pretty inactive.

Played 10 minutes - waited for someone to yell - The eyes, Boo - go for the eyes!. 

Pretty disappointed...  Realize they dropped the NDA, but this really isn't review worthy.  As is, it's not ready for prime time.  People don't always want, or require, 2014/Crysis 4 graphics.  But it's fairly certain that people are not that nostalgic about 90's graphics either.  It's basically full screen UO CC, at 1920x1080.  And in this case, that's NOT a good thing.  Hope things get a lot better between now and release, or I don't see this lasting for an extended period of time.

I think the graphics are adequate. Myself I would even go for the cartoonier style like Albion has, as things stand out more, but if UO had these graphics they could even market it again.

This also was just a pre alpha to get people interested in the kickstarter. Though they really should decide the part of the community the court.

If it is people that want to play on official shards then they need to show more concepts and what they intend to do. If they want the way smaller community of people that want to open their own shards I guess they .... well not sure that alone can carry development.

I really hope shards takes off as most mmos seem not to be worth the effort these days. I am mostly back to single player games  ...   :(

SatelliteMind

SatelliteMind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

New kickstarter https://www.kickstar...y-by-your-rules Looks a ALOT better this time around

• Kayhynn likes this

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

And they are already funded, so any further donations just make it better.

Guido

Guido

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

Not that there's ever really a guarantee on these kickstarter games, but this one, while sort of grabbing me early on, really does nothing for me this time.

I am grateful that they're honest in pointing out, almost from the top, that they aren't guaranteeing delivery of a game - quite the contrary, the only thing they guarantee is taking production to alpha status.  The final product is NOT a bet I'm that I'm willing to lay money on - maybe as a fully functional beta, but not as a pre-alpha.  And it looks like my original impression - go for the eyes, Boo - was, indirectly correct...

We'll see what happens a year from now, when they're asking for money to get through beta... Garriot's privilege fest should be live by then, too.

Esse Quam Videri

fs_pc.png

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

*shrugs*

It is either shards or runuo for me.

DustyMonkey

DustyMonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have followed this project from the first KS, and played in almost every public playtest, and I have to say what they have for a pre alpha client is pretty solid. Sure there is not a huge amount of systems in there but what there is is fun. 

It will be entering into an official pre alpha phase which is covered by NDA

I like to think of Shards Online as, What if UO Devs didn't have to deal with 2 clients and was allowed to update the client while also facilitated the modding/free shard community.

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Ok, we are almost a year later.

Alpha acces for $ 40 pledges is open.

It is alpha .. it is buggy ... but damn it is a game where I can put things down.

Bears don't drop gold... there is actual server code if you want and are able to change things....

There is sort of treasure hunting, housing, stealing is possible.

Is it perfect? No!

But damn I wish EA had upgraded UO to such a level.

It seems streaming is ok now.

A video of a streamer playing with supreem on shards can be found here

http://www.twitch.tv...game/v/29746030

• Kayhynn likes this