Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Basic Paladin Help

9 replies to this topic

Scull3y

Scull3y

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Hey guys! I'm new to UO and my first (and only character still) toon is a paladin. I've been reading different posts and everything...Im just confused between a Dexxer and a warrior? Then there's sampires?...Anyways, I think the most basic I found was:

Strength: 100

Dexterity: 100

Intelligence: 25

Chivalry: 100

Parry: 120 (Power Scroll Given to me)

Swordsmanship: 100

Spell Resist: 100

Tactics: 100

Anatomy: 100

Healing: 100

(I forgot focus...and meditation....I dont know what to do!!)

I think this is close to what I want...but I need an opinion!

Thanks

2lnflo3.jpg

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

I'll let the experts chime in as I usually play quirky templates.  Just wanted to say welcome.  Which shard are you playing?

Myers

Myers

Semper Fidelis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

I would change the Resisting Spells to Bushido (for Samurais).

Go to www.uoguide.com and read about Bushido. With Bushido you can wear a 2-handed Weapon without a Shield, but you still have the same blockrate.

Warrior and Dexxer is the same.

The Sampire has no healing, but in the Lich-Form from Necromancy he has Life-leech and heals that way.

www.semperfidelis.de

JayT

JayT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I'll toss in my 2 cents here based on the perspective of my first and main character is a Sampire, and its understood you are not making a Sampire just looking at the Bushido portion. Switching in Bushido for resist I don't think will gain you much if anything at all here's why I say that. With Bushido, players mainly use Confidence and Lightning strikes. A 90+ mana leech weapon that utilizes Armor Ignore (if 1 handed Broadsword/Longsword for example) will always allow you to dish out large damage portions far more than the occasional Lightning strike/Bushido critical hit this is from experience. So my Sampire needs about 4-5 minutes to destroy an unbound energy vortex (punching bag of gobs of hit points that lives at the bottom of shame dungeon), but if I used my Bushido and LS it would take so long I might fall asleep at the keyboard. The high mana leech weapon with AI allows you to almost continually chain high damage hits reducing most things to silly putty. On to the shield now. I feel the shields in the game are severly underestimated as its not difficult to get one from another player or get one yourself that is a magical drop (not reforged or imbued player crafted) and will have: defense increases, hit increases, stat increases, soul charge, and swing speed increases sometimes all of these together on the shield which to me makes this an easy trade off for a 2 hand weapon to maximize Bushido and its occasional critical hit with even rarer parry being triggered. Now your magic resist will come in more handy than some would think when some of the meaner nasties in the game drop flamestrike, flamestrike, and energy bolt all on you within a few seconds. Having a zero spell resist and I've gone both ways on this is a lousy feeling when your mend wounds is taking too long and bandages even longer while your health bar goes kaboom. I recommend if you go the 1 hand / shield route get a shield with swing speed and soul charge on it then make sure as many of your armor pieces have mana increase AND lower mana cost on it. That's the pain you will feel with a Sampire or Paladin using Bushido is they are very gear dependent which in turn makes them expensive to outfit since you will be needing to get a hold of a good imbuer using reforged armor pieces. My overly long 2 cents is geared towards pvm as I don't pvp if that was what you were looking towards someone else will need to help with the info for that. Hope you found everyone's comments on this topic useful.......

Myers

Myers

Semper Fidelis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

This is a very good Post JayT. But whats your Way to get a 90% Mana Leech Weapon? Reforging?

And what are your Skills?

120 Swords, Tactics, Anatomy

90 Healing

70 Chivalry (+15 from Jewelry)

100 Parry (+20 from Jewelry)

100 Resist

www.semperfidelis.de

Scull3y

Scull3y

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Wow! Thank you guys! I think I am starting to get it now. To be honest, I really wanted to stay away from Bushido...I'm not into Pvp really either. I was kind of trying to stick with a CLASSIC simple build like the one below which Myers stated.

120 Swords, Tactics, Anatomy

90 Healing

70 Chivalry (+15 from Jewelry)

100 Parry (+20 from Jewelry)

100 Resist

Though people keep telling me this won't stand a chance against harder mobs?

2lnflo3.jpg

JayT

JayT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Yes, getting the high mana leech weapons will be done through reforging. I used to for a good long time use high life leech weapons which was kind of redundant with a Sampire. A more experienced Sampire showed me the way to go using high mana leech weapons and maxed 40 LMC from gear worn. My Sampire runs the following:

• Bushido 120
  • Swords 120
  • Tactics 120
  • Anatomy 120
  • Chivalry 55 (Jewelry adds 15)
  • Necromancy 100
  • Healing 85

My jewelry uses SSI so I'm still on the hunt for an SSI ring that I can fit in with Chivalry to bring my Chiv up.

The template you show Scull3y should be able to take down most of the monsters. The weapon will make or break you. My weapons are not only high mana leech but have slayer properties added when reforged which is what you will want to do also. When I go to the bottom of Shame I'll bring: my air elem slayer long sword high mana leech, poison elem high mana leech slayer longsword, blood elem slayer high mana leech longsword so that whichever elemental I run in to while hunting in their area I just switch to the appropiate one and start chaining Armor Ignore. Dont forget to trigger Divine Fury whenever you have a decent amount of mana leeched back it shortens the fight.

mjhundem

mjhundem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

My first character was basic paladin and still has the following template:

Swordsmanship 100

Tactics 100

Anatomy 100

Parrying 100

Healing 100

Focus 100

Chivalry 100

Remaining 20 points can be allocated wherever -  Anat or Swords are best places for it.  I have 100 Resist Spells on a soulstone to swap with Parrying as necessary.  Character is a solid PVM warrior. 

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Though people keep telling me this won't stand a chance against harder mobs?

Sampires does have more survivability against the harder mobs, however should not underestimate a good old paladin too much.

But yes, if you are fighting heavy mobs alone, sampire is probably the way to go, however if you hunt in a group with 2+ paladins with healing, i would prefer that any day.. also because sampires cannot crossheal or ress their teammates. and also because only one can honor a mob (boss, red)

But i don't know about you guys, but I myself are not playing an online game to play alone.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Question, Is there a reason to choose Swordsmanship vs. other weapons skills, like Macing for example? Is there some benefit to using Swords with a Paladin (like there is for not using shields with Samarais) or is "Swordsmanship" used in this instance as "whatever weapon skill"? Thanks! 

Reply to this topic