Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

I might wanna play but I have questions?

- - - - - new uo questions question help noob PvP

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

DeadlyHooves

DeadlyHooves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Alright, SO I've always wanted to play UO, and I wanted to ask some questions before I commit!

1. Is the game still open world full loot PvP? I heavily enjoy PvP, and having a good system for it is important to me.

2. Where can you even purchase this game? I look at orgins and the "Styggian abyss + new account" says I need the styggian abyss upgrade first?

3. What dlc do you need to have all the expansions? Again the orgin store doesn't even really comprehend UOs existence.

4. How bad is the learning curve actively?

Thanks for any help provided! :)

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

1) It's 1/2 open world PvP - there's one facet that's strictly PvE, and another that's mostly PvP.  There's also 2 servers (one Anglo, one Asian) that are solely PvP.

2) https://www.origin.c...NW.html?details

3) The above package contains everything but the High Seas stuff - unless you want to start out as some sort of mega-fisherdude, I'd wait on this one until you had a very good grasp of the game, and the desire to continue playing, before you spend the extra cash.

4) UO is a very easy game to learn.  UO is a very difficult game to be good at, and the learning curve for being anything more than adequate is rather large.  As a newbie to UO style PvP, you *will* get pwned on a regular basis.

I'm sure others here will chime in.  Best bet?  Download one of the clients, and try the 14 day free trial.  What you find during the first 2 weeks is pretty much what you'll find from here on out - it's not really all that likely that EA/Origin/Mythic is going to pump a lot more energy into a new expansion (although they have sort of promised more 'minor' dlc type things).

• Veramo and DeadlyHooves like this

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

DeadlyHooves

DeadlyHooves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for the reply! I'm currently downloading the game now for trial :)

I have played UO style PvP before though so Im hoping I wont be toooooo behind lol though I do expect intense pwning.

Also, are macros heavily used in this game?

From what I read people use them like crazy, and I really hate the thought of not having to work to be "finished" build wise. Its not a total deal breaker, but I would like to know :)

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

When People say Macros in UO, they use it in different terms.

My "macros" are binding certain phrases "I wish to release this" "I ban thee" and "I wish to lock this down" or they are binding singular spells to keys so I dont have to click on them in my window.  The game doesn''t automatically bind any spells to keys so you have to do it all yourself.

Other macros include things to speed up/reduce carpal tunnel like creating a macro for crafting X number of items.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Veramo likes this

Veramo

Veramo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Alright, SO I've always wanted to play UO, and I wanted to ask some questions before I commit!

1. Is the game still open world full loot PvP? I heavily enjoy PvP, and having a good system for it is important to me.

2. Where can you even purchase this game? I look at orgins and the "Styggian abyss + new account" says I need the styggian abyss upgrade first?

3. What dlc do you need to have all the expansions? Again the orgin store doesn't even really comprehend UOs existence.

4. How bad is the learning curve actively?

Thanks for any help provided! :)

Welcome to the game, DeadlyHooves. You've come to the right place. I've played almost every mmo, and this is the best. This game is about quality and content over style and graphics, and it has one of the best communities you'll find anywhere. But with that in mind, don't let the poor direction of the Mythic store turn you off. It can be difficult to figure out how to buy, subscribe, etc., but it's worth the effort.

DeadlyHooves

DeadlyHooves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Well I gave the game a solid 5 hour shot last night, and so far its very good, I met someone who helped me get set up for some good fighting (crafted me way better gear for where Im at) and I met a few others that were rather nice and farmed Clay Golems with me lol.

I plan on continuing the 14 day trial and seeing how I feel at the end :)

Thanks for the help everyone!

DeadlyHooves

DeadlyHooves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Im loving the game so far, so I went ahead and purchased Styggian Abyss + 30 months!

Thanks guys!

johnnyonthespot

johnnyonthespot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I'm contemplating returning. I give it a 50/50 shot with work and personal life. However, if I do come back I could help you setup some pvp macros that will help you out alot in the long run.

Myers

Myers

Semper Fidelis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

On which Shard you play?

www.semperfidelis.de

DeadlyHooves

DeadlyHooves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

On which Shard you play?

Im playing Atlantic Im DeadHooves on there, playing a tamer/mage in New Haven

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, uo, questions, question, help, noob, PvP