Coming back to UO after a long absence - have some questions / need some help

So my wife and I have decided to come back to UO after a long absence. We played from 97 to 2000 and then a couple of times since then.

We were able to recover our old accounts and decided it would be best to start some new characters to relearn the controls etc and that seems to be working well. However, UO has become an item based game (which we knew) and we're running into an issue where the beginners guides don't really touch on templates or suit building and the guides that are out there get so far into theory crafting that it's confusing if you are trying to come up to speed.

So my question is this. Can any recommend some reading that would be sort of an intermediary sort of primer for templates and suit building (what type of suit you need, where to farm it, etc).

First off welcome back. Which shard do you play? I'm afraid I can't really help you too much with this except to suggest UOGuide as a starting point. One of the difficult aspects of your question is the game is always being published with new content which changes things. For instance, one of the more recent publishes added new means for crafters to upgrade equipment. It's been months and I still haven't gotten into the nitty gritty of those changes yet. One of the best things I would suggest is trying to find players who are willing to talk templates and equipment. I know in my own alliance there are many who love discussing the topic. You can hop in general and just start by trying to strike up conversations. If at first you don't get a nibble, don't be disheartened. Try again later/periodically.

Hi Veldrane,

Many PVM templates are now centered around Sampires, but others are tamers and mystic/mages.

As suggested before www.uoguide.com is a good source of information.

UO.stratics.com also has a nice compiled bit of info, and okay forums when it's not being over moderated by Petra Fyed.

Feel free to stop here again with any questions you may have.

Have fun.

Welcome back to the grandfather of all MMO's! I would love to invite you both to come play with us on Catskills. If you'd like a bit of role play, we're a great guild to be part of. One of the "legends" of Catskills as we were a beta-testing guild formed on January of '97, spent a few months on Atlantic at release but as soon as Catskills came up we moved over there. What makes us amazing is that we're part of huge gaming community (most of which are couples) that have stayed together for the past 16 years give or take, picking up new folks are we go along. Our guild is Children of Darkness (its based on Ricean lore --- author Anne Rice's world) and the gaming community is called The Last Prophecy. What prompted me to reply was the fact you are a couple. My husband and I play together and we have many folks in TLP/CoD that do too. If interested, let me know through PM! As far as the suits, I would start here: Professions Forums | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming And there is an imbuing calculator (once you figure out what type of character you'll want to play) found here: [imbuing] - New Imbuing Calculator! | Stratics: A Career Path in Gaming --- you just plug in some stats and customize as you go, the math is done for you. :)

Welcome back!

Im going to be different in my response to your question. When I returned to the game a few years ago I used Google for everything. Id simply search "Ultima Online _______" It will yeild UOGuide results, this forum results, Stratics results, etc. Sometimes you'll find the best answers on player run/made personal sites or forums too. Also something that comes up with a google search.

So, basically, Google is your friend :).

Thanks for all the advice; it was most helpful - Google, UO Guide and Stratics have been my best friends for sure during the ramp-up on the new learning curve. Slowly getting back up to speed and hopefully I'll find a good guild on Sonoma that's open to returning players that I can throw in with.