Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Special House Decay Rate

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm not sure exactly how the Decay Rate seems to work, but after spending a bit of time on Siege Perelous and trying to place a simple house I have found that roughly 2/3 of the houses placed were 18x18 plots with nothing on them. Just spaces that someone else took up because it was a "prime location" forcing me to move my active guildhouse into the middle of nowhere.

My suggestion is simple; EA/Origin should adjust how house decay works so that if no one opens a door to your house, its decay rate begins after one week. A special item can be bought with Architects so that there won't be decay for up to one month (if you're going on vacation and don't have an active house), but it can't be used two months in a row.

This will cause a LOT of houses on less populated servers to fall and it will open up a ton of housing locations that people are sitting on.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
Decay rates used to be like that and was gotten rid of. I'm for keeping it the way it currentlly is. If you pay for your accounts, your house won't fall. If something catastrophic happens and you can't pay for your account, it won't fall for 97 days or so. It's fair enough.

Gorgon

Gorgon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey, paying for UO is super easy, just skip McDonalds once a month. And there is that exception that I put in so that people can extend the rate of decay timer, and putting it in a location where a friend can reset the timer makes it easy to keep up either way. My objection isn't to people who have nice houses and are enjoying them. My objection is to people who have a single 18x18 plot in the middle of a field that could hold 5/6 houses that is just a placeholder (no construction at all).

Heck, put the timer in just for houses that don't have anything in them or that haven't been built on. Or make it so that there are Game Moderators who have the power to turn decay on to houses that have actually been abandoned. I just want to put up a nice little plot that I can call my own in a place that doesn't take ten minutes of running through nothing but blank houses to get to.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
You're complaining about Siege - where it's a) hard to make money B) double the cost to place plots/build on them and c) where they just opened it up to let players place a second house on their account on Siege - so there will be a lot of undeveloped or under-developed plots right now.

Just because it's a private plot doesn't mean it's not being used. If you can't run on the plot, you can't see if there's storage on it or not.

I'm probably one of the few people on Seige that placed a plot and designed it and had money left over because I sold stuff in the past there.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Yeah, I'm wholly against this idea. Often times players will take a break from UO, but will keep paying the monthly fee to preserve their houses. This practice helps keep the game running. If they were to lose their houses due to your idea, they would stop playing which means less revenue which means EA would be more inclined to shut the game down. So no, keep housing the way it is.

StarKnightGoku

StarKnightGoku

Currently: Awesome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Yeah, no. Houses being stable so long as your account is open + a reasonable time after is one of the best changes they ever made.

Hey, paying for UO is super easy, just skip McDonalds once a month.

And man, I really hate this phrase and anyone that uses it, but check your privilege. There are people out there who don't have $5 at the end of the month spending their money frugally, not everyone goes out for fast food constantly and wastes it frivolously. Having a single ~$10/mo luxury is a big deal to some people.

Edited by StarKnightGoku, 12 July 2013 - 05:28 PM.