Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Returning player - house decay question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

sprcow

sprcow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
My friend and I just reupped our UO accounts for the first time since 2005. It seems a lot of things are the same, but I'm having a hard time finding solid information about house decay. Can anyone explain the conditions under which homes begin to decay? Mostly my question is: As long as I pay my monthly subscription, do I need to log in regularly to prevent decay?

Maedhros

Maedhros

Nidaros Librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Your house will go into decay if you place another house, or if you stop paying after a certain amount of time. You do not have to worry about logging in and refreshing your house as long as your account is active.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
Yeah what Maedhros said. If you stop paying for your account, you get 90 days before the house falls. By the way, welcome back. What shard do you play?

sprcow

sprcow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the info! I play on Napa Valley for the most part.

magosian

magosian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

My friend and I just reupped our UO accounts for the first time since 2005. It seems a lot of things are the same, but I'm having a hard time finding solid information about house decay. Can anyone explain the conditions under which homes begin to decay? Mostly my question is: As long as I pay my monthly subscription, do I need to log in regularly to prevent decay?

Your house will go into decay if you place another house, or if you stop paying after a certain amount of time. You do not have to worry about logging in and refreshing your house as long as your account is active.

Hello again sprcow. Shame on you Maedhros!

Seems sprcow and I have been in the same boat as we're both old players recently returning to a much-changed game, so I feel like I should clarify something here. ONE house per account on all shards, period. Placing a second house will not only put ANY other house you own into decay, but this process is irrevocable and is better known as being CONDEMNED. Again, you cannot stop this process! You have 6-7 days to clear out the condemned house, and I assume it's a time period allotted to move things into your newly placed house (assuming it's on the shame shard). Once it is cleared of fixtures and storage, you should probably demolish the condemned house to recoup most of the gold spent on the initial house deed/placement (I believe it's 90%). As stated by Maedhros previously, your house will not decay so long as your account is active.

Anyways, the reason I mention this is because you've probably placed a house but are not 100% entirely satisfied with its size or location. You can use the housing tool to hunt for better/larger spots, but be SURE that if and when you finally settle on a better/bigger location, you plan accordingly: set time aside to actually MOVE the contents once your old house goes condemned. If you're anything like me in terms of being a packrat, this will likely require LOTS of recalls, blesses, variously-marked runes, commodity boxes/deeds, plenty of containers, the works. Do NOT place a second house until you are ABSOLUTELY ready to move things, and you are ABSOLUTELY sure you do not want your old house anymore.

sprcow

sprcow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Haha, thanks for the tip. I'd heard that you might be able to use the Moving Crate feature to tote things from one house to another. Any idea if that is true?

Maedhros

Maedhros

Nidaros Librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
When I am moving houses I will move stuff into the moving crate by entering customize mode and filling the plot with walls. This moves everything into the crate and makes it easier to load into pack animals.