Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

LOL I know, right?! I totally wish I had even $500 to throw at it to guarantee a house spot :) But I did manage to scrounge up a few pennies to back it. I loved the hand-written story of Lord British, Mondain the wizard, and Sosaria that LB showed from his high school creative writing class.

It sort of sounds interesting, even if I have no real faith in RG producing anything worth a damn after what's essentially been (with the exception of UO) nothing but failure and mediocrity since 1992 (Ultima 7). It's not an MMO - it's multiplayer, with offline capabilities (unlike U4E, which will require a persistent net connection). The server space that will be required is going to be through the roof if he intends on making it persistent world.

Of course, I guess getting a baggie wrapped version of a 30+ year old game that you'll never be able to play is worth 10k... I'll sell mine for $5000.

Are you kidding me?

over 300,000 dollaz in less then a day?! Gtfo.

That's not even remotely remarkable. Torment: Tides of Numenera (a re-boot of the classic Planescape:Torment saga) hit $1million in 9 hours, met it's 900k goal in 7 hours, and is currently at $2.1 million pledged, with 27 days to go...

Torment: Tides of Numenera by inXile entertainment ? Kickstarter

And there are more than a few people that say that Planescape is one of, if not THE, greatest cRPG's of all time. (disclosure - I'm a $250 backer for this kickstarter/title.)

That's not even remotely remarkable. Torment: Tides of Numenera (a re-boot of the classic Planescape:Torment saga) hit $1million in 9 hours, met it's 900k goal in 7 hours, and is currently at $2.1 million pledged, with 27 days to go...

Torment: Tides of Numenera by inXile entertainment ? Kickstarter

And there are more than a few people that say that Planescape is one of, if not THE, greatest cRPG's of all time. (disclosure - I'm a $250 backer for this kickstarter/title.)

Well all I can say is thank you. Wouldn't priorities a game enough to fund it. But would love to play those that are funded. :)

These kickerstarts are merely to chec if there is a base for funding the final project. Seems like Shroud is doing ok, but not too good either. I guess that has to do with the failures RG has been involved with (Tabula, etc). I can't help it feel that Shroud won't be the Ultima Online succesor that we all hope for. I worried about the 2D screen with all those clouds.. I want a complete 3D world, but with the Ultima Online spirit. Lots of items, lots of skills, freedom to do whatever I want, whatever I want to train, dynamic events, etc. I want to be able to go fishing on my own, or safe money for my house, make some furniture with my mule, go hunting with friends on some dark dungeon, be harassed by GM's, use runestones, etc..

What I'm basically saying is: I want Ultima Online with the current graphical requirements in a new world, with a new storyline. If not, then Shroud is a no go for me.

Apparently, Mr. Garriott has forgotten one of his own virtues - Humility.

"I've met virtually no one in our industry who I think is close to as good a game designer as I am. I'm not saying that because I think I'm so brilliant. What I'm saying is, I think most game designers really just suck."

Sid Meier... Chris Crawford... Shigeru Miyamoto... Mateusz Kanik... Michael Cranford... literally dozens of others...

LB - we've loved your games. We've loved your vision. Speaking for myself, I'd love it if you showed a little more humility, and a little more respect, for people that are as good, or better, than you. Don't believe the hype - you weren't the first. You aren't necessarily the best. You've earned your 'greatness'. Do you really want to lose that legacy?

177°49'N, 152°31'W - try chanting Lum... it may unlock your karma, and maybe help your understanding of this particular virtue...

Just google "Garriott says everyone sucks"... there's a link for everyone, in multiple dozens of languages. I hope this is a case of space sickness or something...