Mars May Get Hit By a Comet in 2014

It is said to be about the size as the one that killed all the dinos back in the days. The comet was only discovered about 2 days ago. It is carrying water, any sort of possible impact will be of huge interest for astronomers to follow the aftermath.

Mars impact: The red planet may get hit by a comet in October 2014.

Edited by Ron/Nathaniel Hawk
Based on the parabolic orbit observed so far, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab estimates Siding Spring will pass within 186,000 miles of Mars. The NEO’s estimate, based on observations from data up to March 1, places the distances at 31,000 miles from the surface. NBC notes that observations made by Russian astronomer Leonid Elenin of the Keldysh Institute of Applied Mathematics indicate that the comet will pass 25,700 miles from the center of Mars.

Story is here.

Interesting - the consequences of a 30 mile wide anything hitting Mars is frightening - they're talking a crater potentially 300 miles wide and 1.25 miles (~2km) deep. That's a LOT of debris that could be coming our way.

I'm more interested of what the aftermath would be of such a an impact. It's known that Mars used to have water. Comets are usually filled with ice. Would an impact be able to "reboot" any kind of atmosphere?

I'm also a bit suprised they haven't noticed it before. Imagen if we'd get the news that such a thing would hit earth in 2014.

YOLO for a whole year.

Edited by Ron/Nathaniel Hawk

Yea it's interesting, one of the ideas behind terraforming mars, was to throw a large ice laden asteroid/meteor at it, which would kick start a greenhouse effect and also add ice/water to the planet

Not sure if that's how it'd work, but if it did kick start a greenhouse effect, it'd be interesting to see how that turns out, not that I'd see it in my lifetime lol