Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

classic client "resolution" stretching

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

straun

straun

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I realize you can go full screen "hate that"

I ALSO know that you can change the res setting in the classic client but it has a VERY low max setting.

Now playing FREE shards, razor for example lets you 'stretch' the play screen bigger so when you're using a big flat panel you can stretch the play screen big enough to
you know...actually be able to see the play window lol :)

Is there ANY damned thing out there that will let you increase the play screen size on the classic client? At this point I don't care if it's supported or unsupported or a script or wahtever
the game is unplayable and i'm NOT going to set this big flat panel to some tiny resolution just to make the game playable. :(

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts
No - there is no legal way to increase the resolution on official EA shards. The programs that make it possible are illegal (per their ToS), easily detectable, and will get you banned.

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
I wonder if someone could whip up a program that just stretches resolution and get it approved by EA.

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

UOForums Owner/EOGamer CEO

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I doubt they'd create that, as they want to get people using the EC.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I might have to ask if they can add other resolutions larger than 800x600 for CC in a A&A question.

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark
They should go all out and add 320x200 resolution!!! Be risque Mythic!

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
So I can play it on my cell phone? Sweet idea :P

Guido

Guido

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

I might have to ask if they can add other resolutions larger than 800x600 for CC in a A&A question.

Might not hiurt to try again, but it has been asked and answered at least once (officially) before -

Hello Mesanna and Dev Team, because of the all-time discussion about the UO graphics I like to ask if there are any plans for the 2D/Classic Client to get better a screen resolution? We still have 800x600 max, this is quite outdated for today's games. (Medea, Ultima Online Bibliothek Forum)

Kyronix: There are draw issues associated with the world building when increasing the size of the client window in the 2D/Classic client. We’ve experimented with it, but unfortunately the results were not aesthetically pleasing. You can always come over to the dark side and switch to the EC….*evil grin*

Source

There was also a comment made when Crowner was lead that was similar in response, and iirc, one from the prior team as well. I can see where there might be issues taking it out of the old style 4:3 aspect and trying to move it to a widescreen format (16:9 or 16:10), but I'm really not sure what the issue is taking the resolution higher in the 4:3 (1024x768, 1280x1024, etc), beyond making the graphics much smaller than they already are.

Esse Quam Videri

fs_pc.png

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark
What I don't understand is that "unofficial" programs can increase the resolution. (albeit a bit buggy) So shouldn't the dev team be able to? The increased resolution doesn't make things smaller, it just makes the play window bigger.

I do think its an excuse to push people towards the EC sadly.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Sadly, I agree
Despite two failed 2.5D clients and a buggy, unfinished third client, they really don't "get it" that with UO's budget, they'll never be able to release a decent NEW client of the same quality as Wow's for example.
So why not improve what you have? But noooo

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Asked and answered, the answer in short is it was not acceptable the way a stretched gameplay screen looked, esthetic wise. I presume they mean the limitations of how the classic client load the terrain.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
To be honest, scruffy looking or not, it does add a great deal of depth to the game, having the old client's game window run at 1024x768, or higher
Yea it doesn't render the edges properly, but you feel almost immersed in the game, the feeling I once had eons back when 15 inch monitors were the norm, hehe
  • Kaelyn likes this

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
Imagine simply stretching the graphics that fit in a 800x600 window so that they will fill a big portion of a 1920x1080 screen. It's... just not gonna look good whatever you do. Stretching the EC doesn't exactly look the best but at least the ground textures are all hi-res and the rest are on the way.
Typesetter and Reporter for the PaxLair Times.

Guido

Guido

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

What I don't understand is that "unofficial" programs can increase the resolution. (albeit a bit buggy) So shouldn't the dev team be able to? The increased resolution doesn't make things smaller, it just makes the play window bigger.

What those 3rd party apps do is basically use something like a Glide wrapper (old tech, from the VooDoo days), the in-game maps and packet intercepts to show where you are on a stretched map. They can do this because there are no D3D/DX requirements for the classic client, despite the listed 'requirements'. While these programs stretch the maps out on your screen, they do not show anything that is player added, nor mobs, outside of the normal 800x600 original area. The reason is relatively simple - that information isn't transmitted, in the same way as that information doesn't show up in either of the mapper programs, unless you actually tag a player house.

The reason those programs are buggy is simple - Glide wrapper tech is OLD, and not well supported natively by modern graphics cards (most of it is done via software emulation now), and packet sniffing/translating/reacting/plotting/etc in real time doesn't work well in a ping based MMORPG.

As to why the dev team hasn't done it natively? It looks like crap, for one... blow up sprite based graphics by even 1.5x and they start to pixelate. Go from 800x600 to 1920x1080, or higher, and you start to make programs like Minecraft look like High-res, Crisis 3 level graphics. It's the same problem with any game from the era. Want a good example? Just load up any contemporary game from the era - if they even support a higher resolution screen. The main reason is, simply, it's a sprite based game. In order to change the resolution completely, it would require entirely new artwork, animations, everything. For the cost of that alone, they'd be better off either doing a new client that offers true 3D, or a new game.

As for pushing people to the EC, failed clients, etc, people have short, biased memories. Once Everquest switched from a similar set of graphics to a true 3d client, UO tried to do the same - and while the quality of the EA offering was nowhere near the level of the Sony offering, it was still the best effort they've made, before or since. It was the player base that, for all intents and purposes, bullied them out of any further work on Third Dawn client, much like they tried to bully them when EA announced they were dropping, first, Win95 support, and then Win98 support... long after MS had already done so. At least EA had the cajones to stand up for those changes. And it's a loud, vocal sub-section of the sub base that's still trying to bully them from making or completing a new client. Because regardless of if it's the current 2d client, a 2.5d client, or a 3d client, the only way things can improve graphically is for their to be a change in the client itself, from the ground up.

Esse Quam Videri

fs_pc.png

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

While these programs stretch the maps out on your screen, they do not show anything that is player added, nor mobs

You have that - to a lesser extent - even in the EC. If you zoom out to max level, you don't see stuff on the fringes of the gameplay window - only the terrain.

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

To be honest, scruffy looking or not, it does add a great deal of depth to the game, having the old client's game window run at 1024x768, or higher
Yea it doesn't render the edges properly, but you feel almost immersed in the game, the feeling I once had eons back when 15 inch monitors were the norm, hehe

Agree in full, I would totally accept any and all dodgy looking corners at the expense of a little more modern resolution !
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Arkhan

Arkhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Sorry for the thread resurrect.  I found this while looking around to see if there was any sane way to upscale UO Classic Client, because I've found that I think I still prefer it to the EC, simply because the EC's lack of updated building artwork really makes it look stupid.

That, and the awful paperdolls.

All they need to do is upscale properly... 

I grabbed a screenshot of my gameplay window and resized to properly proportioned *x1080 resolution.   With bicubic resampling, it looks fine.  Even bilinear.

Fixing the visuals of the game at this point, is honestly more important than any other updating they are bothering with.

With free games like Runescape, and LinkRealms offering decent visuals... you'd think UO would want to compete.

They could introduce a simple upscaler that resamples in a way that makes it look OK.   Even nearest neighbor doesn't look bad.     Any of that is better than squinting at the tiny doofwindow

hm.png