Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

The New “Retrieve” Option... Very Helpful OR Aggravation Waiting To Happen?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

EvilPixieWorks

EvilPixieWorks

Owner: Red & Purple Emp.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
If you are anything like me, you love the housing aspect of our game world. Building clever house designs, learning as you build, building better and more functional houses... and then the decoration. As time has passed, our options have expanded making our job decorating easier and even better as the years pass.

Then you have holiday decorating. We get gifts and little extras now and then... it's fun to do a little festive dressing around the old house, virtual or real. Every year, we get more and more goodies... sometimes they are not as nice as the year before, sometimes better. Still, the decoration containers get more and more packed as the years go on. That is, if you are at all organized.

Then you have a class of house known as an “establishment”. Houses that can not be customized just for a month of snow... NOW we have snow tiles. It's about time! Un-customizable houses have to depend on cleverness of the decorator to have a festive flavor for the holidays. We are not talking about just throwing together something in 30 mins. We’re talking hours, maybe over days. No matter how well known to the community, per shard, I honestly don’t think people really take in the trouble we owners go through. And we are talking hours, spent by a very experienced decorator that go all out year after year. I’m sure, this has been going on even without “festive” items from the first UO Christmas. A little change in vendor outfits, locking down green and red cloth, whatever options they had at the time.

Myself, winter’s kiss hit 6 out of the 7 buildings in my control. 2 only had just a small change. The smallest of the 4 got a powdering on new snow and some older items. 1 got it's traditional make-over with the new snow. 2 got an all out pampering. Both houses got new snow, icicles, wreaths and many other favorite items... plus, the grandest building, the Red & Purple Mini Mall sported an air-borne sled and reindeer for the first time. That one aspect alone took 3 hours to make perfect! 3 hours to set up... less then 30 seconds to take down. All the tricks and frustration to decorate becomes yet more work when Christmas is over and it's time to get back to normal decoration.

Now? Added not very long ago, this extra command simply marked as “Retrieve”. When I first saw this on the big publish list, I questioned why anyone would need it and yes... unless you are careful, it can make trouble if you’re not paying attention. My question was, “If you can put the item anyplace in the house... you can just as easily get it back, so why bother?” And it's true, YET... for more extreme decoration? It makes a long job a lot easier!

You may notice this when you click on any locked-down item in the house you own. Some, like containers, will say “set security” and under that will have “Retrieve”. Any locked down item, no matter it's design will have this outside any deeded items. If you select this, the item will go from the house to your backpack, as long as you have the free room in your main pack. Easily... this is a 2-edged sword!!! You have to be very careful when electing to use this option and aim very carefully. You will not loose the item in question as it's very secure rather then unlocking and picking the item up yourself. However, it will undo things you may not want undone. Some items harder to place originally... special placement, like under arches or on stairs. Containers, stacked. Accidentally remove one, you’ll have to re-do the whole stack again. BUT, once you get used to this option, it could save you 50% of the time normally spent cleaning up decorations. I know for me, for a very big clean up job of my mall, it saved a lot of time and a lot of special effort taking down items placed on the 2nd level and without anything to stand on. Placed with a ladder... and removed by not even being outside the house! Yes, you can remove anything in sight. Upstairs, downstairs, outside, inside... all with 2 clicks per item.

I’m quite sure this option was invented to aid home owners in moving valuables around the house. Defending against stealthers criminals lurking around your house. Something that has been going on since lockdowns came to be! Years too late. Having a noise maker by your door, like wind-chimes... will let you know if someone is hanging around your house. PLUS, using the “detect hidden” skill inside your house, a house you own, will show any hidden pests. Ban them, end of problem. hehe. You don’t need any actual skill points for this skill to work in a house you own, co-own, or are friended.

Did we need this new option? Honestly? I’d say no. Is it handy? Yes. But again, it's a 2-edged sword. AIM very carefully! Check the highlighted item before choosing the option! Again, you will not loose any item, it's about making more work for yourself putting items back that you didn’t intend to move. Big jobs? Like cleaning up over 200 Christmas decorations? Cleaning out a house for a move? Very handy! Biggest fault? It should really have the ability to target a container inside your main backpack! Before you know it, your backpack is a total disaster if you don’t pack away every 10 items.

If I had to rate it, I guess I’d give it 3 out of 5 stars. hehe. We have much more important needs rather then this, I think. BUT what's done is done. Better then not having it for sure.
Posted Image
The Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood [Town] - established 2001

Kahlan

Kahlan

Legendary ScribblerUO News Manager

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I have noticed and used it accidentially once. Wasn't a big deal on the item I retrieved but it very well could be a pain in the kiester! As far as a target container in ur pack, thats just bloody brillant! Might even make a good question for the devs *hint hint*.

kahlansig.jpg

EvilPixieWorks

EvilPixieWorks

Owner: Red & Purple Emp.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Best to take it slow.

It's kind of like the new carpets (not very new anymore), but the "carpet parts". Only, accidently double clicking on a carpet part and not noticing the highlighted part... that degenerates after a bit is easy replaced. These jump right into your backpack... and YES, I would love to put the suggestion in about picking a container to put the clean up stuff in, but I dont think the staff is taking questions again. I had like 5, at least, questions posted when they stopped answering.

Posted Image
The Red & Purple Pixies of the Yew Wood [Town] - established 2001

Kahlan

Kahlan

Legendary ScribblerUO News Manager

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Don't know if they've stopped but keep posting the questions. It doesn't hurt.

kahlansig.jpg

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I found it very useful, especially when redesigning a house with things not going into the crate and having to use the retrieve function to get it. Much better than having to redesign to put a block there, commit, go back uncommit, etc.