Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Starting over

8 replies to this topic

Jogge

Jogge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi returning to UO need some help though. Bought a token from Origin so i can raise 5 skills to 90 when i start and was thinking of making a Bard/Tamer what skills should i pick?

Template i was thinking to use is:

taming
lore
vet
music
peace
mage
med

Some pros/cons on that would be nice and what skills to raise to 90 from the begining to make my UO life much easyer :)

Thank you

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
If it were me, I'd choose taming, lore, vet, peace and mage.

Taming is a no-brainer, it's the hardest skill on the list to raise (and arguably the most useful when you have it).
With 90 magery, you can avoid using a lot of time/resources to raise it.
With 90 lore and vet, you can get your pets right away if you have a friend who can transfer them to you (alternative: beg a couple of pets from strangers, rune beetles and bake kitsune are nice for starting out) and avoid the time it takes to train vet.
Music is a skill you can train by mashing down a key for a while.
Meditation will take care of itself (and quickly at that).
Posted Image

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
Discord is a good skill to have as well. I'd say start discord at 90 as music and peacemaking are easy to raise. Extremely easy

Jeza

Jeza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I have a similar template (no meditation as my skills are 120 so I only have 6) and the hardest for me was, taming, vet, magery and peace.
As there are 5 skills to choose I would have taken animal lore also to be able to tame/control high end pets from the begining.
Music raises fast and meditation even more :)

Still If it was me I would drop meditation and take discordance, and that would be my choice of 5th skill instead of lore or vet.
you don't have eval int, you won't cast offensive spells, meaning you won't cast that often and can have mana regen on your suit to help. Med is not needed.

Once your account will be 1 year old you can have a soulstone and change between peace and disco at will, You will then be able to have only 6 skills at a time on your toon and go to 120 on those, way more efficient and to be able to control the best pets you need more than 100 taming/lore anyway.

Peace is great to help taming, and to keep yourself alive sometimes, but for big fights disco will help your pet take down mobs that would be too strong otherwise.

Jogge

Jogge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had my account since release. What is this soulstone?

Merek

Merek

R3 Guild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
Soulstone - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Jeza

Jeza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oh then it's even better !

A soulstone is an Item you can get as veteran reward (every year you can claim a vet reward). It allows you to store a skill that is on one of your chars. Once on the stone the skill can be claimed by any char of the same account.
It allow a lot of flexibility when building a template.

For exemple my tamer has
120 taming, lore vet music peace
100 magery
20 focus
total 720 skill points

I would like to have discordance also but it's too many skills.

I can stone peace (that's how we call storing a skill in the soulstone, we stone it) and raise discordance to 120.
Then I need either 2 soulstones or if I only have one, 2 chars, one that will have 240 skill points free and my tamer.
That's to be able to swap between peace and disco on my tamer.

She can then use one or the other skill depending what I want to do.
taming an aggressive pet, need some crowd control, I have peace. I will fight one powerfull mob, disco.

Very usefull !

If you buy a soulstone be careful to buy it as a token, once an account has claims the token, the soulstone can't be used by another account. So you would buy a useless deco if you bought a soulstone already claimed.
There are also soulstone fragments, they are not found as tokens, but they only have 5 charges, so the full ones are way better.

Merek

Merek

R3 Guild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
FYI: You cant transfer a skill in exchange for another skill with the soulstone.

By that I mean you cant exchange a skill you want to store with a skill thats already stored in the soulstone. You will have to put the skill you wish to store in a empty soulstone first to clear some skill points before you can take a skill from another soulstone.

Does that make sense??

Jeza

Jeza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

FYI: You cant transfer a skill in exchange for another skill with the soulstone.

By that I mean you cant exchange a skill you want to store with a skill thats already stored in the soulstone. You will have to put the skill you wish to store in a empty soulstone first to clear some skill points before you can take a skill from another soulstone.

Does that make sense??

Or if you have only one soulstone you can use another char with enough skill points free for the 2 skills.
A char A has 720 skill points used and wants to exchange Peace 120 (on him) for disco 120 (stoned).
Char B has no more than than 480 skill points used.
B takes disco from the stone, A stones peace , B takes peace also and then stones disco back on the stone. A takes disco.

It's easier to always have an empty soulstone to be able to exchange skills more easily and not limit one of the account chars, but it's good to have options ;)

Reply to this topic