Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Lets talk mage suits.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

archite666

archite666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I want to share some of my knowledge of pvp suits as well as invite input from others.

First lets about desired mods. Heres my end all be all list, feel free to contribute

100% LRC
40 LMC
2/6
70 DCI
70s
Corpse Proof
18 HPR
18+ MR
50 EP (Depends)
18 Damage Eater
25 HPI

I'm not a fan of Casting focus, I am in the midst of getting rid of off my suit. Lets talk mods before we go into pieces.

Edited by archite666, 05 September 2012 - 04:10 PM.

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
try to put str+ on the pieces with reforging. you can easily get 25 hpi from slither and crimson and 1 piece. So if you want more than the 137 life try to add it on the suit itself.

archite666

archite666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Oh duh, I forgot to add those on there.

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
but if your not a fan of casting focus (horrible addition to pvp if you ask me) that sums it about up.
I think to get the absolute most mods on a suit you should go woodland. One of the woods has a chance to enhance to mage armor and you will get more base resist than the leathers. Its alot more expensive but possible.

archite666

archite666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I'm not really asking how to build it, I just wanted to toss ideas about how to build suits different kinds of suits.

I actually already have this suit built, but that is some good input.

Il talk about about methods to get those mods in a bit.

Any other mods out there people prefer?

Downtown

Downtown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

100% LRC
40 LMC
2/6
70 DCI
70s
Corpse Proof
18 HPR
18+ MR
50 EP (Depends)
18 Damage Eater
25 HPI

Just theoretically here. I'm just coming back to UO, but I love teh mages.
Wouldn't we also want 12 (cap?) casting focus (even if you don't like it), +25 int (to reach 150 int for max spell damage increase). You can pot to 150 strength from what? 120 with 50 EP, but that'd be flexible since it's so hard to get (right?) So I don't remember if you need extra stats or not--I guess not if you also use dex pots.

Is 70 phys, 75 fire, 60 in the rest a common/ok thing to do?

The decision to get 70 DCI or not ought to be based, imo, on how many dexers are on your shard and not in your guild. I used to almost always run 70 though.

Is HP regen really that good/worth trying to get? I know you get it accidentally on a lot of items, but I don't think I've ever played with more than ~12 and that wasn't intentional.

Some amount of SDI will also be needed-15 or 30% I guess. Does anyone actually run 30? I suppose 30 SDI templates lend themselves to other setups like wrestle or anatomy and maybe even parry mages?

archite666

archite666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Casting focus causes you to "overcast" when your timing is already very good.

+25 int is fine if you can reach that with your Str and Dex requirements, not every mage runs 50 ep anymore with the addition of Mystics.

I highly recommend all 70s. Curses wear off and the old addage about expecting to be cursed is stupid. I am hardly ever cursed and I make it a point to stay that way.

Dexers are hot right now with current stuff like the new quiver along with poisoning being so good. I would never ever run a suit without 70 DCI, unless the majority of dexxers adapted and stopped running HLD but I doupt that will happen due to most dexxers not being able to stack 70 DCI.

18 HP regen is excellent and the difference from dying in situations, like running while lethaled. The HPR will actually keep you full health for the most part.

15 SDI is max for nonfocused mages. 30 for focused. Most people don't like what a focused mage has to offer. If I ran one again, I would not run parry as the 80 Dex requirement is too high to get synergistic INT for SDI. Afterall, if your going focus mage, you want all the SDI you can.

Random Note: I always use anatomy over wrestle. Its too slow and too hard to land specials, I would rather just take the extra 20 pts.

dax

dax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry am new back to the game how do you corpse proof a suit (besides not dieing in it)?

Downtown

Downtown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
2 questions then,

How did poison get buffed? I see cure potions have a lower chance of curing, but is there anything else? You can just spam g cure pots until lethal is cured right?

I don't understand what you say about 70 DCI. You say you won't run it unless dexers stopped running HLD, but that's when you'd want to stop running 70 DCI. I think I'm missing something

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

I don't understand what you say about 70 DCI. You say you won't run it unless dexers stopped running HLD, but that's when you'd want to stop running 70 DCI. I think I'm missing something

I think you have it backwards. He'll stop running 70DCI when dexers stop running HLD causing a need to go above the actual cap.

Downtown

Downtown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yea, I misread. My bad. Cool, 70 dci 4tw.

Answer my question about poison, please: How did poison get buffed? I see cure potions have a lower chance of curing, but is there anything else? You can just spam g cure pots until lethal is cured right?

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
As for poison I'm not sure exactly. I do know you can get up to lethal if used in conjunction with Necro (correct me if I am wrong). So you can evil omen someone then DP = lethal.

Spart

Spart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

What are the preferred materials for mage suits now? I know it's leather, because it's medable, but what are the best within the leather armors for mages?

Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Usually the method will be to get/make/hire an Imbuer to use Horned or Barbed Kits (from Tailor BoD Rewards) to Reforge regular leather sleeves until you get the mods you want, then have that Imbuer use Powder of Fortification to increase max durability to 255/255, then Imbue any remaining mods/resists as needed, then use an artifact enhancing tool to turn it into Horned or Barbed leather depending on what resists you need to finish out the suit.  This is the main reason I would always suggest making an Imbuer on any account...the rewards are just too good compared to not having one at all.  There is probably a lot more information on Reforging and Imbuing on Petra's pages.  There are arguments for using Studded, Woodland, or Stone armor depending on race, but that's a different conversation entirely :)

• Spart likes this

Spart

Spart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Usually the method will be to get/make/hire an Imbuer to use Horned or Barbed Kits (from Tailor BoD Rewards) to Reforge regular leather sleeves until you get the mods you want, then have that Imbuer use Powder of Fortification to increase max durability to 255/255, then Imbue any remaining mods/resists as needed, then use an artifact enhancing tool to turn it into Horned or Barbed leather depending on what resists you need to finish out the suit.  This is the main reason I would always suggest making an Imbuer on any account...the rewards are just too good compared to not having one at all.  There is probably a lot more information on Reforging and Imbuing on Petra's pages.  There are arguments for using Studded, Woodland, or Stone armor depending on race, but that's a different conversation entirely :)

What is the artifact enhancing tool called? I'm not finding any info on it.

Spart

Spart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Nevermind, figured it out, Just using the enhance option on the leather gives it the properties of horned or barbed leather. I was going nuts trying to find that tool!

Ray

Ray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

The tool is on the uo.com store.  It gives you a 100% chance to enhance the item, instead of the normal chance for it to break when you enhance it with just regular toolkits.