Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Messing around with Bouras

15 replies to this topic

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi there,
I've got some more questions to ask, so I hope you could help me a bit around.

Talking about Bouras - They are easy to tame, they are tough and they deal a good amount of damage. I've tryed to clear Despise and it worked for me easily. I only had Problems with Ogre Lords so far (because I'm missing healing abilites at the moment but I'm about to improve that).

One of my characters is a beginner Tamer-Mage. He has 2 Lowland Bouras now + a Horse. Anyways, I'm about to improve things and will soon combine a High Plains Boura with a Lowland Boura - I've heard it's a pretty sweet combination.

So with those Bouras and a healing ability, what am I actually able to farm? Let's assume I have a nice mana pool, a 100% succes on "In Vas Mani" and of course a well-trained Veterinary Skill (like 60-70).

Additionally, I came up with the idea of taming those Bouras which need Taming Skill below 20. So I shall be able to tame those with my Human Crafter and use them as weapons for collecting tons of leather.

I'd like to hear your opinions as I have no real clue about the potential of those beasts.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Boura are one of the more underrated pets in the game.

The lowland boura are great because you need 0 taming to control them, so you can transfer them to your elf or gargoyle with no worries. This gives them great tanking abilities with no extra skill investment.

With only 90 vet and 90 lore (or more, of course), you can also ressurect them when they pass on.

The advantage to this is that with a very small amount of training time, you can use them to tank some very serious monsters (I wouldn't use them in PvP, but that isn't the question)

When boura were new, I did some tests and found that I could do exactly the same things with a high/low boura combination as I could with a cu sidhe (but with a lot more difficulty), which means pretty much anything except peerless.

Their biggest disadvantage is that they have low resists, and thus require quite a bit of healing to get through the day (and no horse on the side for a high/low combo)

So until you have enough taming skill to tame nightmares, bake kitsune and rune beetles, the boura will certainly get you through some difficult hunts.
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
hunt mud pies and stuff witht hem in the new shame. That will train them well and give you some money. May even pull some good jewelry

Drws

Drws

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
i use them to tame baki's. They live long enough to let me tame baki's with out them aggro'ing on me.

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Been a while since I was posting this. Now I recently grabbed my Tamer and improved him further. I used to run around with 2 Lowland Bouras + Mount. After training them a bit and hitting like ~90 vet, I noticed that I could kill more than just Ogres and stuff, since they really hit for a good amount of damage and they do have nice amount of HP for "beginner pets".

As Tamer Mage I'm currently able to farm Miasma with just those 2 little Bouras. Ofc I'm having a good challenge, but most of the time it's quite "easy".

I came up with the idea of setting up a human Necromageweaver who's running around with 2 Ruddy Bouras (just need 17,1 Taming at all) and farming out stuff like a boss.

But I wonder if I should skill Vet while having Spellweaving (Gift of Life). This would force me to put down Necro and SS just for the aspect of being a Wraith.

My idea was:

-120 Magery
-120 EvalInt
-120 Meditation
-120 Spellweaving
-100 Spiritspeak
-80 Veterinary
-40 Necromancy

Once the character would have the crystalline ring and 720 skill cap he could head for:

-100 (+20) Magery
-120 EvalInt
-100 (+20) Focus
-120 Spellweaving
-120 Spiritspeak
-120 Veterinary
-40 Necromancy

Making him even better in healing his pet and improving his mana leech from Wraith Form.

Any other opinions about this?

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
I love bouras myself and have several non-taming templates who run around with them. In fact, every one of my non-tamers that are upgraded to ML have two bouras in the stables. I'm referring to the lowland bouras. I prefer them to the high/low combo because of their pack instinct. You don't get that bonus with the high/low combo.

Sufikation

Sufikation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
This is some cool info. I had no clue you could use these things with non tamers.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Skunko of Atlantic/Siege - Brother Patrick of Origin

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
Being a wraith you can drop meditation down to 80 and still be fine, you could also drop SS to 80 and still be good. This would give you 80 points toward animal lore which would help you healing with bandies alot, and allow you to res them if they died without gift of life.

Also, even with crystalline no need for focus for MR purposes 120 focus= 60 med.

Sufikation

Sufikation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

I love bouras myself and have several non-taming templates who run around with them. In fact, every one of my non-tamers that are upgraded to ML have two bouras in the stables. I'm referring to the lowland bouras. I prefer them to the high/low combo because of their pack instinct. You don't get that bonus with the high/low combo.

Do they bond to you without taming and lore and follow your commands? I was thinking about getting 2 lowlands for my bard and my archer.

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Yes, they will bond with you with no taming. They are just liked horses, dogs, timber wolves, and other low level tamed creatures.

Sufikation

Sufikation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Awesome, got the 2 for the bard tonight and will get some more for my other chars. Since my tamer is only 85 tame I think I might try the high/low combo with him for a bit. These things are pretty cool pets, I wonder why they aren't used more often by tamers and non tamers alike.

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the further input so far - really helped me out making up a new character. With all the new hints I've gathered, I came up with the following:

-100 (+20) Magery
-120 EvalInt
-120 Spellweaving
-80 Spiritspeak
-80 Veterinary
-80 Meditation
-80 Animal Lore
-40 Necromancy

Which makes me a pretty good Mageweaver in Wraithform. I wonder which kind of challenges I could beat with it.

Talking about bards. I think they would do pretty well with a Bard. So i thought of:

-120 Musicanship
-120 Provocation
-120 Peacemaking
-120 Discordance
-80 Veterinary
-80 Animal Lore
-60 Magery

That would enable me to Mark and Recall with my bonded Bouras and let them beat up some enemies, while I provocate most of them. Maybe I could pick up some +Magery to cast Invis reliably.

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Awesome, got the 2 for the bard tonight and will get some more for my other chars. Since my tamer is only 85 tame I think I might try the high/low combo with him for a bit. These things are pretty cool pets, I wonder why they aren't used more often by tamers and non tamers alike.

UO trends get pretty set in their ways. For instance when chivalry and necromancy were first introduced, I created a dark paladin character which combined both skills. I got so much flak from players who said it would never work due to karma issues, they never listened to me when I said it was more viable than one might expect. Of course these days, Chiv is typically a standard with the ever popular sampire, but back then I was a lunatic mad tinker.

For tamers, it's greater dragon or bust. Of course you get quirky players like myself who try all manner of different oddball templates (mongbat tamer anyone?). Who knows? Maybe our discussions here will lead to the next great template.

Sufikation

Sufikation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Well I think the 2 lowlands are going to work great with my bard. Makes me laugh to think I have never considered pet help for anything but a tamer.

Sufikation

Sufikation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
So far the best high plain I have found is a 2.6...the hunt continues. The lowlands don't even have a spot on the pet calculator so I guess I just pick the one with the best hp.

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
There's another question which came up to my mind while playing with Lowland + High Plains Combo:

- Right now, I'm an Elf Tamer who's about to become a Tamer/Weavermage.
- Once I got the Greater Dragon, I have no slot left for a mount. Also, the Highplains + Lowland Combo needs 5 slots.

Should I just don't care about the 20 mana bonus and race change to a Gargoyle?

Reply to this topic