Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Wondering if this Crafter/Mage is viable...

14 replies to this topic

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Folks! As I am a new player I'm wondering if there is a nice opportunity of making a hybrid char: Mage (with Mysticism) and Crafter. Here are my thoughts: Mysticism ---> 120 Imbuing ---> 120 Blacksmithing --> 120 Mining ---> 120 Tailoring ---> 120 Magery ---> 100 Makes 700 at first. I know I'm missing EvalInt and ResistSpells. But my focus actually is on Mysticism. I'm taking Magery for some nice stuff like Gate, etc... What I want to achieve with this character is to hunt leather for the tailoring part and kill some advanced enemies while I am able to craft nice stuff. So, can you tell me if this is any good or give me an advice for a better alternative? I definately want to keep Imbuing :)

Merek

Merek

R3 Guild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
I'm still new, but I think Mysticism needs focus to be effective.

I dont think the template sounds viable, due to the fact that you are missing key elements to make your mage and blacksmith powerful

Thanks just my .02 cents.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
You will need arms lore.

And focus/meditation may be nice to have (but not mandatory)
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
The imbuing will cover the SDI of mystic. It would actually be viable for gather regs if that last 100 skill point was put into a 40 necro/60 SS split. Without focus or med you would need some way to get mana back and wraith form would cover it.

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So you have any suggestions which kind of Crafter would also be able to beat some enemies, paragons and even bosses?

How high do I have to go with Arms Lore? Is 100 enough or does 110/120 pay off more? Hmm...

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
100 arms lore is as high as you get. Remember your not going to be killing bosses and stuff with your crafting. You will be reliant on rising collosus and the other mystic spells for all dmg. This is why youw ill need wraith form so you can keep mana without focus or med.

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay I see so it's gonna be difficult having both things working in an excellent way. My thought for now is the following:

Mysticism -> 120 (or Spellweaving)
Focus -> 120 (or Meditation)
Magery -> 120
Eval Int -> 120
Tailoring -> 120
Resist Spells -> 100

Makes 700.

I wonder if the lack of Wrestling will be a bit uncomfortable for me. I'm also wondering what I'll be able to beat up with that kind of build. I'm also wondering if this Mage-Tailor is any good and viable. Imbuing shall be done on another character, though.

For now, I'm training Magery and Eval Int. Resist Spells allready got up to 100 and gave me some nice STR and INT gains. To make my training against enemies more effective, I'm casting in Wraith form (bought 40 Necro) for that sweet Mana Leech.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
1. Use a mage weapon to give yourself some defense
2. You still need 100 arms lore for tailoring, sacrifice resisting spells for that.

Apart from that, you're getting there.
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
Right, if your in a posistion where you can get hit with melee use staff of magi/staff of pyros. If not either use a slayer book for a scrappers. Personally I would drop eval for spellweaving, could only do 110 magery, drop resist for arms lore. Remember its not a full out pvm toon but should be able to do most things adequatly once u get the feel of playing it.

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Being around for a long time, I have accepted the benefits of making a combat peep...a combat peep only and a crafter a crafter peep only.

I would suggest doing the mage/mysticism peep with all its associated skills to make him the best for combat and exploring.

A crafter, for me, doesn't leave the house other than for shopping. I put 60-70 magery on the character to get around but the rest of the points goes towards 5-6 crafting skills.

Mixing crafter and fighting skills just makes for a less capable fighter and a limited skill crafter.

Hope helps,
Clex

drakhgard

drakhgard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello guys, thanks for your advices. So I shall consider pushing a spellcaster first and then just make a pure crafter. Now that I'm practicing around with Mysticism I'm having the following skillset at the moment: 96.2 Mysticism 100 Focus 100 Meditation 100 Resist Spells 63.5 Magery 73.7 EvalInt 40 Necromancy (for Wraith Form, gonna remove it probably) I'm doing actually pretty well farming stuff. Most of the time I'm farming Shame with the Rising Colossus. His damage is incredible and he can finish of all those Mud Pies and the Cave Troll with ease. After I've got the Manareg-Cap on items, I'm going to drop Meditation. Well, but what now? Spellweaving? I'm trying to push Mysticism to 100.0 first, then I'm heading for Magery and EvalInt. Then I'm going to reach ManaReg-Cap with equipment. After that, I shall be able to drop Meditation for Spellweaving. I've considered getting a MageWeapon -0 with SpellChanneling. Am I right that this will help me not getting interrupted? And a last question: After I've hit 100 Mystic, am I able to actually farm some Paragons in Ilshenar? My plan is the same as in Shame: Spamming the Rising Colossus and then just attack the Enemy with Eagle Strike (or is another Mystic spell better?) Thanks in advance for further help.

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
If you really wish to fit armslore in there you could dump eval, and use mysti alone for fighting, and just use mage for traveling, healing, and the other useful spells magery have other than the attack spells, sort of what you originally intended.

like so
Mysti 120
Focus 120
Magery 120
Blacksmithing 120
Tailoring 120
armslore 100 (won't go higher than that.)

Most stuff you can fight in uo, rising colossus can handle on its own. So you can just loot basicly, but depends how much of a min-maxer* you are damage wise.

*Min-maxer is defined by someone who wish to squeeze the lemon for every last droplet. (term from EVE)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts

Hello guys, thanks for your advices. So I shall consider pushing a spellcaster first and then just make a pure crafter. Now that I'm practicing around with Mysticism I'm having the following skillset at the moment: 96.2 Mysticism 100 Focus 100 Meditation 100 Resist Spells 63.5 Magery 73.7 EvalInt 40 Necromancy (for Wraith Form, gonna remove it probably) I'm doing actually pretty well farming stuff. Most of the time I'm farming Shame with the Rising Colossus. His damage is incredible and he can finish of all those Mud Pies and the Cave Troll with ease. After I've got the Manareg-Cap on items, I'm going to drop Meditation. Well, but what now? Spellweaving? I'm trying to push Mysticism to 100.0 first, then I'm heading for Magery and EvalInt. Then I'm going to reach ManaReg-Cap with equipment. After that, I shall be able to drop Meditation for Spellweaving. I've considered getting a MageWeapon -0 with SpellChanneling. Am I right that this will help me not getting interrupted? And a last question: After I've hit 100 Mystic, am I able to actually farm some Paragons in Ilshenar? My plan is the same as in Shame: Spamming the Rising Colossus and then just attack the Enemy with Eagle Strike (or is another Mystic spell better?) Thanks in advance for further help.

If your planning on dropping med in PvM then you better have necro and at least 60 SS (80 recommended) or you wont be able to keep up the mana. Unless RC is all your going to use.

DJAd

DJAd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Being around for a long time, I have accepted the benefits of making a combat peep...a combat peep only and a crafter a crafter peep only.

I would suggest doing the mage/mysticism peep with all its associated skills to make him the best for combat and exploring.

A crafter, for me, doesn't leave the house other than for shopping. I put 60-70 magery on the character to get around but the rest of the points goes towards 5-6 crafting skills.

Totally agree. Should be separate chars is my opinion. I managed to fit 40 natural mage on mine, then boost to 90 with jewels and spellbook.

120 imbuing
120 tailor
120 blacksmith
100 arms lore
100 carpentry
100 tinker
40 + 50 mage

For the Mystic you want to run 120 mystic, 120 focus ideally then maybe go for mage or necro or something. Keep them separate characters is my vote.

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
60 necro 80 med will let u corpse skin, evil omen, mind rot, and wraith form. This will remove the need for med and MR on your char. The focus regen just isnt enough.

Reply to this topic