Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Old school shard?

- - - - - school shard

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

supa187

supa187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I know UO has changed ALOT in the past years starting with Trammel and going into whatever else has happened since then. I respect that it has new players who know/want nothing else. This is fine but at the same time I see threads about populations on many shards being low. My question is this.

Why doesn't EA make an Official PRE:UOR shard? Look at all of the free shards out there that have done this. Many have good populations also and these are free player-run shards!

If EA were to make an official one I would bet it would be the most populated shard on the server. They would literally get back hundreds and hundreds of players who still rant (like me lol) about the good old days of UO.

To me it seems like garunteed money in the bank for them. I don't understand why they won't do this.

Also my apologies if this has been covered before :(

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The problem is people have different ideas on what a Pre UOR shard is

I'm 90% sure they're not going to bring out a pre uor/aos/lbr/t2a shard, it's been debated and argued about across many forums

I don't think even EA remembers what a pre UOR shard was

(Before I forget though, no discussion/advertising of free shards :) )

supa187

supa187

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ah. Thanks for the heads up!

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
I think it could be a good idea. If it brings in more customers it couldn't be a bad thing, you know.

(I personally wouldn't play it even if it were free, but that is just me)

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
Im with Tuka. :)

Posted Image

Lensky Entreri

Lensky Entreri

Retired from UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
I've tried those retro freeshards for a couple years. All they are are gank squads. It's not fun. Trammel was a good idea, trust me. I've been through the whole anti-trammel phase. I think the general misconception is that UO "vets" hate trammel. For me it's not trammel, it's the gameplay. Resist system/insurance/special moves/weapon attributes/arties/neon weapons etc. Bleh. Pretty much everything implemented when AoS hit. Everything got so complicated. Before I could become GM in my "class", grab a weapon and some regs and then head over to fel to PvP (I didn't know anyone. I just jumped in). Then I could go back to trammel and make some cash or RP with the guild. It was simple and it was the best game I have played to date.

And on that note I'd like to thank Adam for keeping this site up for so many years. Damn good work man.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Do we all think that EA can or will afford to invest in developing a third type of shard. We already have issue's with production shards vs Siege/Mugen. It just seem to me that there wouldn't be enough of ROI on it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

bendavho

bendavho

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Do we all think that EA can or will afford to invest in developing a third type of shard. We already have issue's with production shards vs Siege/Mugen. It just seem to me that there wouldn't be enough of ROI on it.

Very true.
Posted Image

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Uh.... I don't think EA cares what old school players want. The fact is UO is a very old game. It is relatively easy to upgrade the number of locations a player can go to by adding a new facet to the moongate gump. And, well, it does boggle my mind that they actually changed the Trammel and Feluccia maps considerably to add the new ML locations.....

But, really, how profiitable was the original game with its Fel-only ruleset? The game went from Beta to an official release to one expansion (adding in T2A). You can tell that they really must have enjoyed making all those secret passages into the Lost Lands. But then they decided the best way to save the game from the crapper was to make another facet called Trammel with the third expansion.

I'm sure in the old days, having two facets wasn't such a big deal. But after people stopped going to Fel in favor of doing extensive PVM on the safer shards, the programmers decided to give us Power Scrolls and re-wire Fel to give people who aren't normally into PVP the chance to go to Fel.

You're just lucky they didn't decide to purge Fel completely from the game and make everything just Tram-based. They could have done that, but they didn't. Sure, they've added insurance with AoS.

True, there are people out there who are so hardcore in love with the original play style that they've volunteered massive amounts of money so people could play old school style for free. Those free shards are..... FREE. They aren't allowed to make a profit. But they do take donations. I'd bet very few of the players on free shards actually donate.

The subscriber base of UO is probably the lowest amount of customers that EA has. The majority of their money is perhaps coming from sellling sports games or licensed games like the Lord of the Rings... I forget if EA published the Harry Potter games.

To be honest, I realize UO isn't really as important as many of its stoutest fans think it is. Maybe they respect us more than the makers of Lineage & EverQuest do (considering both of those games have sequels that were actually published). Or maybe they don't?

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
The decision to make Trammel was based on losing subscrptions to rampant PKing and massive customer complaints. Player events went down the tubes because of CONSTANT raiding without giving those folks the time to enjoy the game themselves.The plus side of that particular expansion was the doubling of housing space.
It's always been my view that the mistake Origin made at the time was they should have made the existing shard Trammel, and the new one Feluccia. The inability of many fine player run towns to make the housing transition cost us many of those towns. And that was a shame. With those towns went many RPers who particpated within those towns.

The number of subscribers is only relevent to the ROI or profit margin.

~ Se'an

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Eowyna Rohanna

Eowyna Rohanna

I may not be the queen of everything, but I'm the duchess of

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

I agree with Silverfoot. And I've been playing since the beginning. The game has evolved. I see no reason to go backward. This is such a tired topic. :(

Posted Image

Thanks to Maddux for the wonderful sig!

Maddux

Maddux

I've got Skinnies with RPGS! Twelve 'o'clock!

• Members
  • 6,272 posts
I agree, this is beating an old horse with the same stick.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vepl

Vepl

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,288 posts

I agree, this is beating an old horse with the same stick.

And we all know Maddux prefers beating people :laugh:

Vepl

Deraj

Deraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Not to start up any old Trammel vs. Felucca debates, but I believe that there are many valid reasons to dislike Trammel. I, too, have played retro freeshards (primarily because I joined Ultima Online when Renaissance came out) and I see the obvious virtues and vices of the "old way", so to speak. Personally, as much as Trammel did solve the problem it set out to solve, I think it caused some other problems (as Silverfoot mentioned, towns not transferring over, and so forth). My point is, there is a better solution out there than implementing an entire non-PvP facet. I have no idea what it is but I believe it so.

As far as creating an "old school" shard, I say forget about it. It doesn't matter. Even if EA made the dream "old school" shard, it wouldn't be the same. You won't get the same community feeling that you crave so much, there won't be a volunteer program, and you'll start to remember all that "rampant PKing" that people remember ever so fondly. The place would probably become Griefer's Paradise.
Still we loom in the mists as the ages roll away,
And we say of our folk, "they are here!"
That they built us and they died and you'll not be knowing why,
Save we stand on the bare plains of Wiltshire.

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Y'know, I would be amused if EA bought off a bunch of the most popular free shards. Since we are talking about them, I did notice that they were run by C# ("C Sharp") to emulate UO. I'd definitely pay an additional five or eight dollars per month just so I could run my own shard or play a player-constructed one.

I read in an interview that EMs only have limited power over the game. But imagine if there were player-run towns with completely customized maps? One minute you're walking in the woods of Yew, the next your smack dab in the middle of an exact replica of China Town or something.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

And on that note I'd like to thank Adam for keeping this site up for so many years. Damn good work man.

Welcome :)

HollywoodB

HollywoodB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
just wanted to bump this one too lol. I agree Supra! The ONLY reason I quit playing was Trammel and on. I haven't played since but if anyone knows something about the T2A- pre-Trammel servers, please PM me cause I will most likely go buy the game if I had some more info on that type of server...

HollywoodB

HollywoodB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry just saw we aren't supposed to talk about free shards. I didn't know

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts