Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

House Demolish/Resize Warning

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Alianin

Alianin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
If you are demolishing your house to place a larger plot, remove EVERYTHING from the house. If you drop it and let the contents drop to the ground, there's a chance that it will disappear when you place a plot back. The GMs will do nothing to help you. This came as a surprise to me since I've had issues in the past with items being lost with house placement and GMs have helped. Just wanted to warn everyone so you don't lose a ton of nice stuff like I did.
House of Corvus

UOGuide.com - The Ultima Online encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

Kahlan

Kahlan

Legendary ScribblerUO News Manager

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Aren't GMs the most wonderfu and helpful souls you will ever come across? :X

kahlansig.jpg

Alianin

Alianin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
They used to be. I don't know what happened. >:(
House of Corvus

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Did you use the "i wish to resize..." command? A few days ago I did that too but the game window warned me about the items lost. In any case, good thread, always good to warn people twice or more ;-)
Disclaimer: This user may use metaphoric language that unintentionally leads to confusion; Real, but at times failed intention: to make you think out of the box, beyond serious, pragmatic and direct utilisation - within UO and outside. Be cautious. =)

Alianin

Alianin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did not know there was a resize command. I was doing it the old fashioned way of demolish/place.
House of Corvus

zanku

zanku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

I did not know there was a resize command. I was doing it the old fashioned way of demolish/place.

As I. I was doing it the old way also. I guess I need to re look at the menu....thanks for the post.

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Resize is a spoken command and not in any menu (unless Pinco has added it because Pinco adds everything).
Disclaimer: This user may use metaphoric language that unintentionally leads to confusion; Real, but at times failed intention: to make you think out of the box, beyond serious, pragmatic and direct utilisation - within UO and outside. Be cautious. =)

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
There is a parallel thread about resizing here on Uoforums where I replied several times. Take the search engine and search for "resize" if you want. Might as well call Uoforums staff to have both threads combined as they have the very same topic and are active at the very same time.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I guess, as an avide house decorator and placer, I would have to ask why would you just demolish the house and not expect to run the risk of losing everything.

You have the decay timer, which will make you lose stuff.
You have people who will run by and pick up stuff.
Then you have the fact if things get stacked too much it will disappear.

It's more about common sense. Who would honestly demolish their house without emptying it first just to be safe? I know I wouldn't. I mean, what would happen if my internet crashed (like mine just did for an hour and they had a system outage..or a few weeks ago where an idiot cut the main fibers for our cable/internet and we lost it for half a day) - I'd lose everything.

I don't think the devs thought to warn about it because...well anyone that knows how IDOCers run and everyone else who sees stuff on the ground and picks it up would do so even if you were replacing the house with a bigger size. And even doing that, you run the risk of not getting stuff pulled into your house in a timely manner and stealthers taking your stuff.
  • zanku likes this

Alianin

Alianin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did it early in the morning to minimize risk. I understand I take a risk by doing it the way I did, but the issue is that this is a bug and the understood proper housing mechanics don't work how they are supposed to.
House of Corvus

zanku

zanku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Didn't I read on maybe the other thread that they were going to fix this when they do the next patch. If true, wouldn't it be wise to let everyone know then to wait till the next patch comes out and be patient till then.? makes sense to me. I know I can wait that long.I've been here this long, whats waiting a bit more for the resize to be tweeked.....lol

Alianin

Alianin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
That other thread is 4 years old. You'd think they'd have fixed it by now. Also, my scenario is different from the known issue explained in the sticky.
House of Corvus

zanku

zanku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Oh? I thought I saw someone say there were 2 threads going on at the same time..lol. maybe not. 4 yrs old?, wow, you'd think they would have fixed it by now. Especially if peolpe were losing items all along. You would think they would have heard players yell loud enough to crack windows, lol..

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
I don't know about any bugs. But if I was about to demolish my house - in any way - I would not expect any items to be safe.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I remember reading someone else post about how they did a similar thing and placed the house and items went under the house sign, but as they pulled items in, items were missing and the explanation I had seen was that too many items stacked and there is a stack limit in UO and that the others vanished.

So if you have a cluttered house and just demolish it to replace it, you run the risk of losing items that way.

I'm not quite sure what you call "understood proper housing mechanics". For me, understood mechanics was, if you demolish your house, IDOC and it falls or resize it with items in it, you run the risk of losing items.

Alianin

Alianin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
What I meant by proper housing mechanics is that you place a house and any items under the footprint pop to under the sign. Having too many items stacked has to be a more recent issue, maybe when they introduced the placing timer after houses fall. Before that, I used to place at IDOCs and have everything pop to the sign. It used to be an easy way to clean up all the loot, aside from getting the spot.
House of Corvus

Digitali

Digitali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
I remember when GMs used to decorate player towns or help a player with housing issues. I had my own that I couldn't get help on either. I would think since housing is a big part of UO they'd be a bit quicker to help with any issues concerning it. I also dislike that you don't personally have a chat with them. :( I remember when I got thrown into jail as a joke from a GM just to chat. lol.