Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Tor Books to release only DRM-free e-books

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts
If you're a fan of SF/Fantasy, you'll know who Tor Books is - essentially, the largest publisher of the SF/Fantasy genres in the world. And if you're an e-book reader, this is cause to rejoice.

On Tuesday, Tom Doherty Associates, which publishes Tor Books, the world's largest science fiction imprint, announced that it would be making all of its e-books available in a DRM-free format by early July 2012. The move comes just six weeks after the United States Department of Justice filed an anti-trust lawsuit over e-book pricing against Macmillon, Tom Doherty Associates' parent company, and five other publishers.

Read more HERE.

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

infamos

infamos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
Oddly enough I can't think of any TOR books I have owned or read.

Well, I checked them out and found a list of authors...

Tor Books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Death Never Accepts.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,574 posts
I've read a ton of TOR books over the years. Awesome news

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

UOForums Owner/EOGamer CEO

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark
I don't know what TOR is...but anything that kills off DRM and similar things are a good thing.

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

Oddly enough I can't think of any TOR books I have owned or read.

Well, I checked them out and found a list of authors...

Tor Books - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And that is far from a complete list of authors - multiple dozens of others have published under the TOR banner as well. Even the ones they have listed are a veritable who's who of SF & Fantasy. Robert Jordan? George R. R. Martin (like there aren't 3-4 Game of Thrones threads going on here...). The granddaddy of them all, Isaac Asimov...

I'd say odds are very good that you've held more than a few of their published books in your hands at one point or another.

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,574 posts

I don't know what TOR is...but anything that kills off DRM and similar things are a good thing.

It's a book publisher

darrenfictionuk

darrenfictionuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Caffeine Nights Publishing is one of the leading UK crime fiction publishers today. From its base in the south east of England it has established itself as one of the most progressive British crime fiction publishers producing crime fiction and British fiction from Shaun Hutson horror to novelisations from British films. Caffeine Nights Publishing are crime fiction publishers with a broad range of authors and titles.

• darrenfictionuk likes this