Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Demuti! the *Yoink* tamer (tamer thief)

11 replies to this topic

BorikGL

BorikGL

UOForums Content EditorLover of all things UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
If anyone saw my post the other day about starting a new character you may have guessed that it would only be a matter of time before a guide came along! well wait no more, kick off your boots, dust off your robes, grab a drink and get ready to go on a journey of untold glory and riches.... in other words, this may take a while and thank you for reading hehe.

Ok, So I remembered how much fun I had playing a thief on siege and europa back in the day... then in later years on siege! So i figured I would make a new character and try to relive the good old days... then I remembered item inurance, bless deeds and a bunch of other barriers that may hinder my fun. But being a hard headed type and always on the look out for "something new" or something old relived in this case I got to thinking about a template!

Back on Europa many many (and i mean many) years ago I ran a disarm thief (this was before item insurance) so I had the standard skill set of the time. stealing, hiding, stealth, snooping wrestling, fencing and poisoning.... although I never achieved any real fame or became known as a "great thief" I stole loads of silver vanquising weps, rares, countless armour pieces and enough regs and bandages to supply a small army.

I had fun, lots of fun and while most people you encounter don't really appreciate you taking their belongings some people will have a laugh and congratulate you while others will tell you your going to get banned, your a low life scumbag ect... ect... Just take it on the chin and remain safe in the knowledge that whatever they say... it was theirs... its now yours :) thats kind of my driving force.. all throughout the lands people are carrying MY items, my mission (and I do choose to accpet it) is to reclaim them all!

Ok, so I babbled a bit again there, sorry... (you will get used to me going off on one) where was I?? oh yes, my template. In todays game there is still scope for the "standard thief" to do well but usually this will involve some form of ninjitsu / combat skill or mage eval to give an offensive / defensive elements... seems like a sound choice to me... but wait.. I don't want to be a standard thief... I want to be a super human, anger building, rage creating mega thief, a thief who can not only rob you blind but if the need arises leave you eating dirt (and of course take back all my things from the body).

Now I am not going to try take credit for this template as lets be honest, once a game has been around as long as UO has, someone, somewhere has ALWAYS done it first. but I am not going to let that bother me. I had an idea and I was please to read when i started my research that one or two others run a similar template and do well! so without further rambling i present you my new character.

Demuti, The Yoink Tamer!

Imagine the versitility of this character! (are you imagining?????)
My Idea is simple (i will manage to complicate thing though dont worry). A Thief with a twist... so I have gone for what I consider the 4 skills that define a Thief. Stealing, Snooping, Hiding and Stealth. To me these are the bread and butter of a thief class. I consider these 4 skills the thief template, anything else is down to the individual but these four essential skills are what make me a thief.... Ok so to add to them I decided on the following template.

100 stealing (120 with items)
100 Snooping
85 Stealth (120 with items)
100 Hiding
85 Taming (120 with items)
100 Animal lore (120 with Items)
100 magery (I may add something else in instead of this I will explain later)
50 tracking

That takes me to my 720 limit. bu as you can see... there is a lot of skill points that are going to rely on items to reach my goal.

The Items I will use are as follows.

Taming / Lore Mark of trav - The most gold heavy piece I will need, I have sold my Fel New mag house to buy this piece of kit!
Shadow Dancer Leggings - I got a pair on Great lakes for 3m, I thought that was an OK price.
Library Talisman - The taming / lore +5 bird slayer one!

On my ring or brace I will have +15 stealth and +15 taming - I will prob put them both on one jewel piece so the other is totally free but untill i get to road testing the char I am undecided on what other mods I will add on there.
And the rest of my suit will just be geared around getting to 70's in resists and as much HP inc as possible.. then for other mods, again will decide as I start playing him so I know what I need. I have an imbuer so the other pieces will all be home made.

OK, so thats the template and Items covered off so far.
With regards to my playstyle I am thinking that this character will be able to steal in most situations... So for example I tag along on a champion spawn hunt... My mega dragon is working the spawn... I am snooping packs getting ready for the scrolls to drop... get where I am going? or another angle of the same situation... they are working spawn.. I am steathing amongst them snooping packs waiting for scrolls or taking any nice items that take my fancy! they give chase expectiong to run down a humble thief when *Poof* a mega dragon or rune beetle and Nightmare come (via pet ball express) to stick up for their master! Failing that I will just ride a Cu and move amongst groups in the open... Who's going to suspect a character riding a megapuppy is a Thief?? How often do you see random groups of blues teaming up against a team of reds? another player in the mix with a powerful pet no less is going to be welcome right??

Now adding magery in at grandmaster is still feeling like its going to be a waste of skill points. from an offensive viewpoint magery without eval is lousy... unless you use mindblast as this isn't effected by eval, i suppose I could poison people and use earthquake to murder people in their homes and stuff but something just isnt sitting right with having magery in the template.... Defensive standing is a lot better.... I have heals, a way to escape I can block gates with fields and incognito/invis ... the list goes on... but on the other hand I could drop it to say 30 (use items to increase if needed) and i could still recall and heal and stuff but then I could add in another skill or take tracking higer. and leave the remainder in magery

Another thing I would like to add about this character is that I am going to be spending most time in Fel, I am not saying I will never visit tram or luna but I hope to be spending most of my time robbing players. although I will admit this now... There are a few of the "stealable" items that I will be picking up... I don't really consider this to be stealing though... I mean, they are just laying there on the ground for me to pick up using a skill??? no one will care if i take them and they will respawn so IMO its not stealing but each to theif own. I have a feeling this guy will be going red on and off too so unless i get a nice steady supply of pardons that will rule out the fluffy facets anyhow.
Right... So I have given as much background as I feel is needed to help you understand my reasons for going for this template.

Now for the training guides.

Between ALL skill training I am working magery, I just scale the spell circle to my skill i.e 30-40 lvl 3 spells 40-50 lvl 4 spells ect ect.

I will start with stealing...

I personally started with 50 stealing but the training methods are simple. to train this skill the way I am training you will need around 10k gold in your bank, a pack animal.. this can be a horse, llama, beetle ect.. i personally use llamas as I find them mildly amusing to look at.

Ok, so you have your "pack pocket dip" head to Felluca, I went to new magincia as I like the city but you can go where ever you like, I stood outside the bank... I had played my treasure hunter over the weekend and bought a couple too (stealing alacs that is)

Stealing is all about item weight, for every 10 skill points you can steal 1 stone. e.g at 50 skill I can steal 5 stone items... So I will be training on stacks of 700gp (6 stones) in my pack animal. I put 12 stacks in my llama and begin stealing. Each time i make a steal I restack the gold. e.g if i steal 400 out of the 700 gp I restack to 700gp and add back to the llama. I do this over and over increasing the weight of the stack as i get to arounf x8 skill. s0 at 68 i go to 7 stone stacks ect ect... Alacs for stealing are cheep! and they will speed up your training so much I can almost not bare to train without them lol.

I have just reached 70 stealing so far and I aim to be hitting GM as soon as possible.

Animal taming and Animal Lore.

What a giant pain in the boobs this skill really is, I mean come on! alright, i am being obtuse, its not that bad.. I just hate polar bears and walrus! not to mention those damned snow leopards!

I am still thanking my lucky stars that I had alacs for these skills (Normally i dont like using them but I wanted this guy ready quickly so I am breaking my own rules... there my rules, I can break them!)

ok, So my T-hunter had provided a bounty of 3 animal taming and 4 animal lore alac scrolls, bless his little treasure digging hands!

I had started with 50, I read that this skill is a major anal pain so I wanted to be as far ahead as i could be!

Ok, 50 to 60, timber wolves are my targets... A ton of these little critters spawn near "the Huntsman" its southwest of Wrong dungeon. What i suggest it that any time you are moving around looking for things to tame, do it in stealth mode for a little passive training. I ate an alac, trained hard and after each tame killed the wolf in a humane way (fireballs...). I read that repeat taming screws up numbers or something so i just did 1 tame per wolf before destroying them... they spawn fairly fast and i think it took me around 2 hours to get to 60 skill (i used one of my alacs which gave me a staggering 8 full skill points the remaining 2 skill points didn't take too long either really, I don't know what all this tamer training moaning is all about!

righty, righty, righty, grab a jumper, put on a warm coat and also get yourself a flask of some powerful spirits (i chose a mix of rum and whiskey... Yuck! but it works!) make sure its a big flask!

Right, either grab a rune or ak for a gate to the legendary dagger isle, known to some as Ice isle.... because of all the ice i guess....

60 - 75 Our targets this time are polar bears and Walrus. What i suggest it that any time you are moving around looking for things to tame, do it in stealth mode for a little passive training.

*You Start to Tame the creature...*
*Good*
*Nice fur*
*Drink this*
*I promis I won put my....*
You Fail to tame the ceature...

You get the idea, Kill them as you tame them again, I poisoned them this time with a fireball for good measure.... little beggers.

60 to 75 again I only used 1 alac, gains were fairly slow towards 75 but Hang in there... just make sure you have something to occupy you while training, Music, an attentive wife or girlfriend (or boyfriend) , drinks ect..
75 to 85 (Our goal! yeah!) Snop Leopards, you could use panthers also but you are already at Ice island so dust the snow off of your bits and get cracking..

*I always wanted a pet like you*
*Are those your Natural Teeth?*
*I can protect you against Cooties*
The animal seems to accept you as its master.

Release / murder over and over!

I used my final alac (and bought another) and again this wasn't bad really. all in all it took in the region of 7 hours to complete 50 to 85 but to be honest I could have trained better. I was goofing around stealthing inbetween using alacs and stuff so I think I could have done it faster.

By the time you reach 85 taming you should be GM lore , this raises so much faster .
anyway. I equip my gear (currently using Jewelry to hit 120 lore and 120 taming. I go tame me a bunch of rune beetles, (i walked in stealth using shadow legs all way from gate to the rune beetle forest) OK, i had UO Pet power calculator open, I ran a query on runebeetles without any stats or anything entered. This gives you the stats to look for! I would stalk a beetle in stealth, start the tame and then invis, i re invis each time i reveal an wait for that magic *... Master....* message. I lore it, rate it and for the first 13 beetles I set it on another to soften it up! by my 14th beetle I found one worth keeping. a respectable 3.8 on the uo crafter pet calculator, I force feed the beast and stuff it in the stables!

I then head for Umbra and run (well walk in stealth) towards the nightmare spawn. I am revealed on the way a few times by passing baddies but even with my no eval magery I put the poor souls to rest. Ok nightmare, lets have ya! My first nightmare tame is a keeper, a 3.6 again, i force feed it and shove it in the stables.... making me walk all that way... Pffft.

at this stage I go to New magincia in tram and buy a decent Cu as I am human! (only a pointy ear elf prancer can tame them) I hear you can ride them with those silly boots on (Pads of the cu sidhs or something) so I obtain a pair from a drunken wench and feed / stable my pets...

Now for the Big guy, I need me a mega dragon! ok... to cut a needlesly long story short, I died a bunch of times, I know now how it feels to be "taken under the wing of a dragon" and I needed a new tactic. I spray a bunch of female dragon pee all over my robes and begin to stealth, Peeping from the shadows I see a line of randy Dragons following my shedrag scent. One catches my, eye... I stealth over.. I begin taming first time!! I Tame first time! Nice, I pop a gate back to the door of the dungeon to lore him and find he only has 850 hitpoints but he is the best I have tamed so far... I don't really plan on having him hunt a great deal anyway.... his main function is as a death dealing meat shield for me!

Alrighty, my check list so far,
stealing? (well on the way, usable with items once i can join the thieves guild)
Snooping - 0.00 - This needs my attention!
Animal Taming - Check, goal reached.
Animal Lore, check , goal reached.
Hiding... oh hiding.... nope, still too low at 65
Stealth ... must have buggered off with hiding only 55 skill
Magery ... well under way! at 90
Tracking.... nope

My new found joy of a character is well on his way to awesomeness and untold glory.. just a few skills now lag behind. I will give them my full attention now though so stealing will take a back burner for a few hours.

Ok, so another night has passed and I have trained more. I now have 76 stealing and 75 snooping along with 72 hiding and 60 stealth.

With regards to stealth I will be doing it the old fasioned way... wearing just a robe and a cloak and stealthing around the landscape and spawn dungeons so I get to know them as well as I can. I will also observe my future marks to get a feel for tactics and how best to deal with them once I can steal. If you like to power game there is a trick for stealth... set up a hiding macro... go to your house and place 2 teleporters on the same floor... these bust be inline with each other and also you want them far enough from each other to get the stealth skill checks in as often as possible... right, now all you do is bluetack the hiding macro key down, right + left click to constant walk on the teleporter treadmill and there you go... you will now just keep walking that same line over and over... watch your character and each time the hiding macro goes off it will attempt stealth as well as the natural distance checks.. dont do this if you are not sat watching ... thats not cool and you could get banned! right... so for now all I have to do is finish off stealing/snooping/hiding and stealth! oh but what about tracking.... right, this is an easy skill. you can train on the same things from 0 right up to GM. I have decided to go 80 magery and 70 tracking. to get to 50 all i did was go to new heaven.. bought up the skill from the guy outside the ninja place and then accepted his "here is a free alac until 50 quest" then all you need to do is use the skill, as long as there is a creature or monster within 8 tiles of you you will get gains. its just boring hehe. i went to 50 in no time then it took me 2 further alac scrolls at 25k each to hit 70. another skill off the list. and as I have been working stealth I have practiced tracking the marks that the tracking skill provides. I can see why ninjitsu is a good skill now as in the llama form you will get running unmounted speed while stealthing but I will never have that hehe.

My character is still unable to join the NPC thieves guild as he is too young.. it requires either 48 hours of logged in time or 1 real week to be able to join, I am not sure which will come first but while I am waiting for my pets to bond to me I guess there is no rush!

I will come back and post how I am getting on once I start playing Demuti as he is meant to be played but for now, as always, Thank you for reading.
Happy hunting and have fun!

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Training is coming along well but my Character is still too young to join the thieves guild... I am going to have a snoop around the abyss to train stealth and perhaps grab some of the ground stealing items... I just wish that when you tried to take them that something would happen, a guardian or anything would be good... if no one is bothered that you took it... is it still stealing... ** Ponders **

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Tips for hiding training... Set your Spacebar for hiding. So anytime you communicate you hide then reveal when you speak. This way technically you are training without thinking or focusing on it...

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Also don't forgot the benefit of using a burglar's bandanna... It will free up your jewelry except for the taming part sir.

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Good call I can switch out for the mark of trav as needed. thanks for the tips!

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Also use an Oak Leaf Shroud[REPLICA] and Royal Investigator's Cloak[REPLICA], (you can get [Replica] not to expensive, but the Real Ones are pretty high priced) to get extra stealth so You have more room for optional skills on your template...

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Even the Cloak of Silence and the other low-end Stealth Cloak is available...

Quilnn

Quilnn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Careful... as a thief, you want to try to keep your item boost things hidden. For example, wearing a burglar's bandana might raise a red flag and people will steer clear of you. I always used to run with Tame/lore MoT, thief jewelry w/ steal and stealth, and shadow dancer legs. This lowers the suspicions.

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
The Oak Leaf Replica hides everything... just saying...

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
why waste jewlery slots for skills that can can have just wearing clothing...

I wear an Orny and my Ring is 15 HCI, 15 DCI, 3 FCR, 3 LMC, 11 Fire Resist

My 90 Stealing, 90 Snoop, 65 stealth. Which puts me at 100 snoop, 120, stealing, 120 stealth...

Some parts are a bit pricey but honestly this is the way to go to cram as many skill points on 1 template as possible...

BorikGL

BorikGL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I am liking your style Rusko, good call man, I am having issues getting in game atm, splitting with the mrs so on another PC 3-4 nights a week and UO isn't working so not had much chance to try anything! thanks for the suggestions though.

Rusko

Rusko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
if you need more help, PM me. I've shared all I am comfortable with sharing to the Public about my setup lol... but I'll deff help you out.

Reply to this topic