Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

The Ultimate defensive warrior

18 replies to this topic

bhale7

bhale7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the game after about 6 years off. I really want to build a melee character that is really tough to kill in melee battles.

I was thinking of the following:

120 Parry
120 Tactics
120 Swords
120 Anatomy
120 Healing
120 Resist

I was also wondering, how should I build my suit, besides maxing out DCI? And, what about stats?

If you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate them. It's been awhile!

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Are you looking for PvP or PvM or both?

aricz

aricz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Both. :)

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
Excuse me, now I am confused. aricz, bhale7, are you one of the same person?

aricz

aricz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nopes :)

bhale7

bhale7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
We're not the same person, but I am looking for both!

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
The only thing I can think of are the TBC and ABC (Throwing Bushido Chivalry and Archery Bushido Chivalry). They should both be very capable in PvM. I read that they can also defend themselves in PvP. It's not my area of expertise, though.

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
Hin pretty much gave you the 2 builds that would be good in pvp and pvm. Throwers are far more powerful than archers though. But niether of them are going to be a tank.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Throwing could easily replace the archery in an ABC archer, but if your really looking for defense. Your best bet is going to be something like this.
120 throwing
120 tactics
100 anatomy
100 healing
120 foucs
120 Mystic
I would put the rest in chiv although that isn't going to help you much here. Its a bit light on resist so your going to need to use apples and a trap box but if you chug you have a great damage potential, can use the RC to tank and you have healing that can be bumped with cleansing winds to remove everything else. FC is important but your going to be able to get some on your weapon. It will be scroll dependent for travel but thats less of an issue. This in stone form would be very very hard to kill and would deal out a ton of damage.

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

(mysterious throwing template)

I have two questions and I hope you have the time to answer, Mirt:

• Does it work with Archery, too? (maybe not quite as powerful)
  • Does it work for both PvP and PvM?

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
pvp probably wont work because you will not be able to fit the SSI and FC and MR and stam and mana all to make that work but is very strong in pvm

Bruce Mcduff

Bruce Mcduff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the game after about 6 years off. I really want to build a melee character that is really tough to kill in melee battles.

I was thinking of the following:

120 Parry
120 Tactics
120 Swords
120 Anatomy
120 Healing
120 Resist

I was also wondering, how should I build my suit, besides maxing out DCI? And, what about stats?

If you have any other suggestions I'd appreciate them. It's been awhile!

This is the build I run around the most with for pvm. Nothing much hurts me with all 70 resists, but make sure you macro your bandages. Its a good all over build for decent pvm. At this time I am working on a Mace/chiv build and tinkering with it some and a archer/chiv/alchy who throws GE...I like to goof around alot on builds.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

pvp probably wont work because you will not be able to fit the SSI and FC and MR and stam and mana all to make that work but is very strong in pvm

No it will still work for pvp in a big bad way. Your not going to be doing most of your damage from spells and as long as you cast enhance a mystic spell you get spell channeling for free on your weapon. That combined with a hit special gives you a world of options in adding on swing speed. For archery well.... archery is no longer the pvp bastion it once was or even for pvm. Yes you could use it with archery but it will be nowhere near as effective becuase archers are nowhere near as effective as throwers. You can fit in the MR and he isn't looking offensive he wants defensive. Therefore once your in stone form your already slow but your going to be doing so much damage and being able to heal so fast with pots, bandages and cleansing winds that your likely to take down one or two. The focus will help with mana and stamina and if you temp it out right it should be doable. It will certainly be hard to kill and thats primarily what the op said he wanted. I don't think it would be the most fun temp to play (its not for me) but it is hard to kill.

WolFie

WolFie

PvM only

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
i rock with a thrower with bush,necro (for life leech)tac, anat, healing,chiv and of course throwing i find it not only to be great for pvm but i can at least as long as there isn't like 5 ppl coming after me able to hold my own and get out with pvp actually personally a better temp than a mystic/thrower i can work like a samp and take massive hit and use momentum strike to hit more than one and leech life back from mobs, i have retired the whole samp thing due to thing temp and i barely find myself playing my favorite temp of a mage, if you want a good mage temp for pvm id go with a mystic/mage/spellweaver one of the best hybrid mage temps i have used (and i have been doing magery since tram has been introduced in the game and i first started thats where my expertise lie!!)

bhale7

bhale7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't really want to go with a thrower build. Is it even possible to PvP with the basic warrior template if you have the right gear?

BorikGL

BorikGL

UOForums Content EditorLover of all things UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I have added spellweaving to my archer bard and Woah!! it kicks butt! 15hp heals every few seconds, an 80+damage absorbing shield, summons, direct damage and area damage spells! not to mention auto res and the all powerful word of death spell, IMO spellweaving is one of the best skills in game... can go on any class and be effective.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

I don't really want to go with a thrower build. Is it even possible to PvP with the basic warrior template if you have the right gear?

Yes. But no. It is viable but only in a group with really strong team work. Vent would be mandatory as would running a map server. Also your going to run in to folks that will 3 hit at max kill you that your not going to be able to damage with 3 or 4. Archery will be a better bet if your looking for a straight pvp temp but its going to be limited. The reason is that your going to be slow. If you want to add in stealth or nox to a temp then things become more viable but still things are going to be iffy. Also most pvp temps don't really work in pvm. Pve chars tend to be tolerable at best in everything but if your hoping to stand your ground and fight your going to need to have massive numbers and a ton of luck.

I am a huge fan of weaving but not when it comes to temps that are looking to pvp because your already so cramped and mana is already going to be an issue with archery for pvp.

bhale7

bhale7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yes. But no. It is viable but only in a group with really strong team work. Vent would be mandatory as would running a map server. Also your going to run in to folks that will 3 hit at max kill you that your not going to be able to damage with 3 or 4. Archery will be a better bet if your looking for a straight pvp temp but its going to be limited. The reason is that your going to be slow. If you want to add in stealth or nox to a temp then things become more viable but still things are going to be iffy. Also most pvp temps don't really work in pvm. Pve chars tend to be tolerable at best in everything but if your hoping to stand your ground and fight your going to need to have massive numbers and a ton of luck.

I am a huge fan of weaving but not when it comes to temps that are looking to pvp because your already so cramped and mana is already going to be an issue with archery for pvp.

I see. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do!

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

I see. It looks like I have a lot of learning to do!

Its rough coming back but you also have the advantages of not having to break old habits of thinking what works. I know someone trying to play a stealth archer that doesn't carry smoke bombs so your over that hump its just an issue of figuring out what works best and then running with it.

Reply to this topic