Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Meta-gaming in RP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Palin

Palin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
This will be my last post on this thread so I will say this, my experience on pacific has been pretty bland. While on the rp alliance, I argued that none of the guilds hosting hunts left amd right didn't give anyone a incentive to roleplay. I showed up for hunts here and there that have been hosted but there was no actual rp events. It is very possible to have hunts with the incentive to roleplay, instead there wasnt. I was told to host my own that I had no resources for I tried hard to stay in character and rp at such hunts but it just wasnt possible. If there were rp events hosted by the rp alliance that actually required some form of rp then my mouth would have been zipped and there would be no discussion. Currently I run my own rp guild on pacific, I don't want to, i hope one day a guild or group will come along that I can join up with that will have all my interests.

Chaosrook

Chaosrook

Krumm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I want to clarify my comments in the last post to clear up any confusion there may be out there.

First and foremost I stated that it was Unrealistic to expect people to be in character 100% of the time. This is from over 20 years of real role-play experience. I did not at any time state that it was impossible, however it is extremely hard not to have side talk regarding game mechanics, rules and knowledge based inquiries. Most of this can be handled via the term (ooc) or out of character to let people know that this is in fact not "in character".

Stating that there is some Rule that he guilds on Europa have agreed to does not change the fact that there will be miss-steps and idle chatter. The implied principle here is that players will, in all due diligence, attempt to remain in character. There is nothing wrong in stating it such.

In regards to my statement about Palin’s crafting of a doctrine, and the fact that I seem to be contradicting myself I refer to the fact that you are miss quoting me…

I state that Palin had made an error of youth in believing that he could craft a doctrine based upon his opinion of what is acceptable or not in RP. This was focusing on the fact that it’s a mistake that the young make in thinking that they can dictate their world view onto others regarding their opinion. Everyone has a somewhat different view on life and that must be remembered. Now I did not say however that Palin could not make said doctrine, I did however warn him that in perusing it he would alienate others.

It is dangerous to think in terms of wholes, as in everyone should do it this way or if you don’t do it this way you are wrong. All or nothing…

As such it is not a good example to state that it has been done of Europa because you cannot prove that every person has always been in character 100% of the time. No matter what agreements the guild-masters may have taken.

That said however the level of adherence to being in character is a solely community feature. Weather there are rules or not dictating that you will be in character are not, does not in my opinion really effect the number of individuals in character or the amount of time they are in character.

As to the statement regarding me stating that Palin is role-playing in the wrong way. Nowhere in my post did I state Palin was role-playing wrong. In fact I have repeatedly stated that you cannot tell people they are doing it “wrong” or “right”. I did however warn him not to hold the reigns too tightly. In stating that he has seen people meta-gaming which in his opinion is a no-no in RP and that he doesn’t do it. He is trying to impart the fact that he feels they are going it wrong. He goes further into explaining his view of what meta-gaming is and that people should do this and that. He additionally states that when he logs in he’s in character and so forth. That is all well and good; in fact it can help the community’s atmosphere. However it is again, telling someone that by not following his example that they are doing it wrong.

I want to emphasize that I did not call Palin childish. It is interesting that you compute the error of youth with that of childish behavior. Youth is a relative term which is based upon one’s own self awareness of age. So I must apologize for using it in that way. My meaning is that for those under the age of 25, mostly under 21 in fact; the idealism that age group has is quite opinionated in a passionate way. That passion often times leaves them to not look at the other angles and that as people age they begin to see things differently.

That of course does not mean to encompass all or nothing for everyone of course is different.

So what I had meant in short summary in past post and in this post is that we all view RP a little differently and while I believe that we should all try and be in character as much as possible. I will not state that it is wrong to be out of character. I will not judge a person as being flawed in their character concept and ability to RP because their character has blue hair…or the fact that they don’t act like an orc if the say they are an orc and so on. In fact I feel that in a game such as UO you must have some sort of out of character communications and experiences on occation. Additionally you cannot go around telling people that their form of RP is wrong. You can come to agreements of what is acceptable as that gives people the right to choice. However if a person strays from the holy number of 100% in character don’t be critical of them. We get enough critical views from the Non RP community. Let us leave the bad blood to those whom would min max, template, and power game in effort to be the best. Let us go and RP and be a real community.

"Any of you...including you Palin, On around 8-11pm Central Time."
"Sir Henri Krumm...
wasting arrows sense the Battle for Trinsic."

Belshazzar

Belshazzar

UOForums Content Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
I am sorry I have onlly witnessed a few roleplayers from time to time but there is a term here that i am not sure its correct meaning. Meta Gaming - i want ot assume it means you are using real life termanology in a RP enviroment of some sort? I am not trying to offend anyone i am just inquiring to understand some of the terms used. Also do players still do OT before they talk to let everyone know they are talking out of text and not in a role player enviroment or was that just specific to the group we had on our shard?

V/r
Lord B

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I took Meta-Gaming to mean, pardon the term, God Moding.

For example: You haven't been introduced to a character, but because you see their name over their head, you know their name and greet them as such. Because you see their tag you know what guild they're in, so you ask them questions related to other characters in the guild. Or you see their title as "thief" so you know they're a thief and treat them as such.

These are things you, as a player know, but your character wouldn't know. In a roleplay game, just like in real life, your character normally can't "see a person's name over their head, their guild title over their head, etc.". It's a game mechanic to make things easier for the player, but if you're playing your character you shouldn't use it.

I get what Palin is saying and I think a few people jumped down his throat a bit too quickly over his "style" of RP. He has a valid point if you think about it.

Is there a Wal-mart in game? Well there might be if someone had a vendor shop named that....but otherwise, how would your character, if you are IC, know what Walmart is? That was what he was trying to get across.

Belshazzar

Belshazzar

UOForums Content Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Okay thanks for explaining it to me. I can understand how that might ruin a RP type of enviroment or at least upset some members who truly RP their characters, I wouldnt call it obscene but in same token i would think players would allow some latitude with it?

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
For me, it depends on the situation i'm in.

I roleplay my auction house manager differently than my other characters because it would be silly for me to not use characters names over their heads and go by clothing descriptions for the auction...and a pain in the arse as well. So in theory, she just "knows' everyone.

Now my drow or my vampire...totally different story. If they don't know you from Lloth or Caine...then they don't know your name.

Belshazzar

Belshazzar

UOForums Content Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
You know to be perfectly honest with you Kayhynn i have great difficulty reading your posts cause all the time my eyes are wandering off to the left at a certain bouncing up and down avatar. You are wrong on so many levels :)

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
*bows* It's part of the deception. No one realizes I make intelligent posts because of the bouncing avvie.

Baruk_S

Baruk_S

UO YouTube Creator

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
Speaking of that Avatar, I find a Drow or Vampire hard to imagine with that..LOL

Chaosrook

Chaosrook

Krumm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I have to agree that it is quite...umm, distracting
"Sir Henri Krumm...
wasting arrows sense the Battle for Trinsic."

Capricorn

Capricorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
In truth she has the best avatar I've seen in here one bounce and you know who it is right away .

Kahlan

Kahlan

Legendary ScribblerUO News Manager

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
*grins* Ya know leave it to a bunch of men to make this thread into a perverted conversation! *sigh* Gotta love it though.

Palin

Palin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Speaking of an avatar, I should get a new one.. I have the best one in mind as well! Without breaking the TOS! =)

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

In truth she has the best avatar I've seen in here one bounce and you know who it is right away .

That made me LOL

I have a couple different colored ones. I think i have a red dress and black hair somewhere.

Capricorn

Capricorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Grins well glad to provide chuckle in this post it needed a bit of happy in it

Nathaniel Hawk

Nathaniel Hawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
@Chaos
I won't beat around the bush, as in the end of the day we have quite similiar opinions regarding RP. And it could all be summarised in two words: "Mutual respect". As long as communities have mutual respect towards other communities, and players also have mutual respect towards other players and the way they like to play, there really shouldn't be a problem.

I apoligise for misunderstanding your meaning of "youth". It's hard to see through what is a flame, insult, troll or burn in things said to Palin. When you mentioned it as errors of the youth (or how you now put it) it felt more like a patronizing comment (as a result of the previous past comments to him) towards him than anything else, if it wasn't, I'll just excuse myself. :9

I like boobs. Sadly not cartoon-boobs. I'll leave that to the hentai lovers.