Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

A topic for discussion at tonights meeting.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
A topic for discussion at tonights meeting.

I propose to replace guild titles with a system of badges.

The idea is to help define the role you are playing to other players. And to revive some groups that many enjoyed.

This is a system not to limit your character but to foster role playing in the alliance by further defining the role that you wish to play. Almost all of us play multiples of these roles on multiple characters. Also in order to take a break from your role simply turn off your title.

The concept I propose would allow anyone to have as many or as few badges as would fit on the guild title screen. And the ones that dont would go on your character profile.

This list does not by any stretch cover all the roles we play as a group. I would like to encourage all of you to submit your own symbol (so long as it is able to be replicated in both clients of UO). And any of these I mention here feel free to add your own comments or suggestions.

Disclaimer: I really have no idea what some of these symbols are really used for they just looked cool.

Outrider – Ø (Alt+0216) Scouts and protectors especially in champion spawns. Be on the look out for raiders and protect the others as best you can. Outriders benefit most by being able to strike swiftly and with utmost lethality.

Knight Protectors – Æ (Alt+146) To protect people from monsters and other players when applicable. A sturdy suit of armour is most beneficial.

Sailors/Travelers - § (Alt+0167) The role of the travelers is to move large groups of alliance members from one location to another. Be it by boat or by moongate travel.

Healers – ð (Alt+0240) To revive your fellow alliance members. Even in times of great danger. A knowledge of resurrection methods are a plus.

Magus – µ (Alt+0181) To add magic to the steel and swiftness of the outriders and protectors. Whether is be through necromancy, mysticism, or magery. A good complete set of spells is a must

• Craftsman/Merchant. - £ (Alt+0163) Any citizen that wishes to make their living through the means of the hand

Beast Master – ç (Alt+135) People with a knowledge of the animals and monsters of the world fall into this group.

Bard/Story Teller – ì (Alt+141) Tavern keepers, minstrels, and storytellers.

Guild Leader - G+ (G+) Guild leaders

Guild Counciler - ++ (++) A guildmasters councilers and emissaries. (Further description of the counciler can be added to the profile for example SAGE's council of six.

People that wish to be attackable at any time can use »(Alt+175) as one of their badges.

People that are willing to fight but wish to be asked first may use ^ as a badge.

Also a special badge for Capricorns montly event can be worn for a month. **

People that never wish to be involved in guild player verses player combat can use Ñ. New recruits will fall under this banner.

And again please feel free to send me suggestions or items you would like added to the list.

Please feel free to debate the merits as well.

Palin

Palin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Did you get this idea from Chesapeake? They do something very similar.. =)

Seems to work well for them though.. By the way, that is all old English alphabet, it includes Danish, Faroese, Norwegian and Icelandic..

Kahlan

Kahlan

Legendary ScribblerUO News Manager

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
I don't know if I would change guild titles per say but adding the symbol after the title might work as well as perhaps in the profile.

For Instance: Akasha's would be something like this: Blood Lust £

Her choosen guild title and her badge for Alliance Identification. Interesting idea nevertheless.

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
No Palin I don't keep up on any other shard besides Pacific. Even then I slough off.

Kahlan I think it is very much open to using a mix of the two. Completely replacing it is just my preference.

Also I wont be fully engaged in the discussion tonight for the first half hour. My step daughter and I watch Power Puff Girls every night at 8 mountain time. I have to do that first before I can engage the discussion.

Kahlan

Kahlan

Legendary ScribblerUO News Manager

• Members
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
Hehe thats cool As... I am eagerly awaiting the season premier of The Walking Dead myself!

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Someone mentioned at the meeting they had ideas for more groups. ???

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
In some of the old RP guilds they had reward and earned badges that were given on the website.

I am thinking instead of a picture on a website a mark or symbol on your character profile with the date given next to it. Is this something that people would be interested in as well? Should these ones be alliance wide or guild specific?

Capricorn

Capricorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
A reward system is nice idea keep in mind is limit on what we can do titles wise may have to be put in paper doll to fit it all.

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I am thinking for those that would like to keep their current title. Just use what they consider their primary badge. Anything else can be put on the character description in the paper doll.

Palin

Palin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So like if I wanted to roleplay my character as a barmaid or barkeeper, then that is the title and the role I would take up.. "barmaid" ?

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I think it is even simpler than that. If you are a person that throws tavern events and would like that to be public knowledge then you would put the barkeep symbol in your title or profile. This isn't to force people into a role but a tool to further role play. If you don't want the badge in your title don't get it.
If you want the badge in your title and you would like to roleplay a barmaid then go for it.

Capricorn

Capricorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Aye is not a forced thing and as you have stated repeatedly palin you don't have any in the rp alliance right now so I would not worry to much about it much we won't make you do any thing you don't like

Palin

Palin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Aye is not a forced thing and as you have stated repeatedly palin you don't have any in the rp alliance right now so I would not worry to much about it much we won't make you do any thing you don't like

I've been trying to get back into the RP alliance.

Palin

Palin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

I think it is even simpler than that. If you are a person that throws tavern events and would like that to be public knowledge then you would put the barkeep symbol in your title or profile. This isn't to force people into a role but a tool to further role play. If you don't want the badge in your title don't get it.
If you want the badge in d... your title and you would like to roleplay a barmaid then go for it.

Well.. I don't do the "badges thing" as I have no need for it.. My members are granted titles that I use as ranks and those who are not part of the military/army style of RP of the guild are either "commoners" or somewhere along the lines of whatever role they wish to roleplay if it be an orc, succubus, beggars, criminals or (some kind of other creature) even a holy character, etc.. Combatant characters I generally recruit right away into the "army" structure of my guild..

But.. If any guild had a army/military type of structure on Pacific then I would dissolve mine right away and join that guild..

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
I've been meaning to reply to this thread for quite some time, but I've been busy with lots of different things, UO and RL wise. The first thing I wanted to address was the RP PVP badge. Make the default be no badge which indicates no attacking them. If you see a character with no badge, they are off limits. It's easier that way, I think, especially as badge use should be optional for all alliance members.

I'd also like the pvp badge to be something very bold and noticeable. Perhaps a ● or a ☻. I'm using copy and paste from website characters so I'm not sure if these two will display in titles. It's something I'll have to test.

Finally, one of the big merits I see for the badge system is to allow association with groups outside one's guild. For instance, the groups I was thinking of were the following:

Royal Investigators - This group was devised by the EMs and some players even earned in-game titles they can display. Obviously, members of the Royal Investigators hail from many different guilds and I imagine the organization to be sort of like a Britannian FBI.

Britannian Nobility - The nobility are pledged to protect their lands in the name of the crown and also to provide troops and aid to the country in times of war. KayCee, Baroness of Whistling Hollow, is a good example of someone who is a member of T.F but also a member of the nobility.

Order of Criers - This order founded by the Britannian government is comprised mostly of scribes and bards, although they are not limited to those professions. Their purpose is to document and share news throughout the realm. The are represented by the Town Criers in-game, but also the reporters such as you find here at UOForums and at Stratics. Lyconis of OEV and River Meer would be good candidates for this badge.

Wandering Healers

Druids of Yew

Druids of Skara Brae

Druids of Sharloth

Holy Orders of Virtue

Incidentally, I haven't been able to get the characters to show up in my guild titles. You said you've been able to Asbjorn?

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
I did I tested them in both my classic client and enhanced client before I proposed the system.

Are you using the ten key number pad on the right side of your keyboard? That is what you need to use.

Perhaps some different symbols are in order then?

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
I was using it, but I was using it for cut and paste symbols I found like the black smiley face. Normally that would be Alt+2. It seems UO fonts only recognize the language letters, that being letters you find in other languages. At any rate, I propose using the boldest of those letters for the rp pvp flag and make that the very first badge that would show up in a player's title. I'll look through the available characters for badges that would suit the organizations I recommended.

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Another thing to remember is that inside UO are long stretches of nothing when it comes to these.

Katherine Meale

Katherine Meale

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I like this idea and i agree with Sable ... i think this will provide alot of help and assistance

Asbjorn

Asbjorn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
My personal opinion is that the ask to pvp and all the time pvp be as distinctly different as possible. I would like there to be as little room for confusion as possible.