Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

old school tank mage (Hally mage)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Does anyone ever still play the old school tank mage. AKA Hally Tank Mage.
It has been 10-12 years since I have played. (before Tram). I just remember having a blast doing the tank mage. I had 7xgm mage with swords and tactics. I remember doing the explosion/hally/ebolt all day long. Even with PVM it was fun t play and seemed rather powerful.
So I have been back for about a week now, trying to soak in all the new stuff. (A LOT).I have read around and I seem to notice the idea of this build in PVP or PVE seems to be dead. What happen? They nerf it bad? I tired the idea on Pacific and the idea seems to work but I’m guessing there is a good reason why no one plays it anymore.
So I guess moving forward I need to figure out a fun build. I was thinking pure mage with scribe and poison?
Anyways, any info on my missed build would be great. Either way I am happy to be back and look forward to learning the ropes. May UO live on forever..
Waldo
P.S. The new 3d client looks like crap but the features are nice. Any hybrid mods out there? 2d client graphics with 3d features? :cool

Ramadash

Ramadash

Dreaming of 1999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Too much other !!!!!!!! now to run such an epicly simple build.

What does poison do for a mage build?

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

So I guess moving forward I need to figure out a fun build. I was thinking pure mage with scribe and poison? :cool

Are you aiming for PvP, PvM or both?

Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Simple is not always a bad thing. It's how you play it. I enjoyed the simple yet complex way you played your combos with wep/spells. Alot of tactics in interupting other mages in pvp and so on. Plus it was simple in the since of you needed regs and a hally. The reast was not needed. granted with all the +propties of today's items i wouldn;t know where to begain. It was be intresting to get a rare hally with some killer stats. Maybe one that weakens opps magic resist with hit. if that even exsits..

I thought poision gave you chance to cast higher lvl poison. Just a thought.

Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
well i will stick to pvm for a while but it would be nice to have a char that could make the switch. I guess pvp. I find that most classes that can pvp, can pvm too just it takes more effort. I'm ok with that..

Ramadash

Ramadash

Dreaming of 1999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
I think you're remembering the glory days of precast mage halbred/katana pvp.

Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
aye i am. You can still precast though. I tired it last night. That's is why i am wondering why it isn't tired still. I'm sure there is a major reason i just can't put my finger on it. I just need to learn all the new stuff and then see if it is still worth it.

Just man the fun!

Ramadash

Ramadash

Dreaming of 1999

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
well no need to precast now since there is spell channeling weapons.

You and I should duel on test center sometime with pure mages/swords.. everyone there ganks ganks ganks runs guards ganks ganks dex dex etc.. i know its a good form to use i just cant use it. Every once and a while ill find a pure mage and we'll have an epic battle, which of course I still lose.

Waldo

Waldo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I forgot about spell channeling. Although i bet you could get a better wep if you still just disarmed/armed when needed. not be limted to spell channeling onces. Ya i need to get on test just to get back into it before i decide on a build i guess.

Maybe this weekend.

archite666

archite666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
These templates are pretty much retired. There are very few hybrid templates that are viable now.

I would look into mage/nox/fencer if your interested in doing this.

Otherwise if you just into gimp tactics (Nothing wrong with that) You could try a Mystic/Necro/Mage to pull off huge chains such as...

Explo, Spellplague, Bombard ( on spell trigger), Pain spike, fireball.
That can do 100 damage in like 3-4 seconds.