Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Skill Questions from a relative newbie

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Noble_Einherjar

Noble_Einherjar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings. Like a few others from topics I've seen on this board, I am an old player returning to UO after many, many years.

To make a long story short, though I recognize many of the game's elements I know a lot has changed, and I'm wondering what is viable nowadays.

I'm starting completely fresh; new character, new server (Atlantic). I have just a couple questions about my intended build.

Melee is my main focus, so I've taken Swordsmanship, Parrying, and Tactics. I know that much. But ..
1. Is it really important for me to take Anatomy for the extra damage?
2. If I take Chivalry, do I need Healing? (And vice versa. I'm going to guess no.)
3. I'd like to have enough Magery to be able to mark my own runes for Recall/Sacred Journey. Would that be doable and still leave me with enough skillpoints to be effective in my main combat areas?
4. Is Focus worth it? And if so, is it worth taking to 100%?

Bonus Question: If I wanted to go for a warrior-mage hybrid, what skills should I invest in? Or would that exclude me from end-game stuff? (This is honestly what I would love to do but figuring out what skills I would need is a bit daunting.)

Basically, the reason I'm asking some of these questions is because I'd like to take some skills (like Spirit Speak) that don't have any real application for my intended build but I love anyway. I think being able to talk to ghosts when the occasion arises is very cool. *le sigh* Sometimes 700 skillpoints just doesn't seem like enough. I'd love to make a detective character if I thought I'd ever have a chance to use those skills~ .. but now I'm rambling.

Anyway, I'm going to continue researching these answers for myself but I appreciate any information you can provide me with. Thank you muchly for your time.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

1. Is it really important for me to take Anatomy for the extra damage?

Yes, and double yes if you also take healing.

2. If I take Chivalry, do I need Healing? (And vice versa. I'm going to guess no.)

You don't strictly -need- it if you maintain 4/6 casting, but chiv alone won't always be enough. Healing is highly recommended, especially if you pvp.

3. I'd like to have enough Magery to be able to mark my own runes for Recall/Sacred Journey. Would that be doable and still leave me with enough skillpoints to be effective in my main combat areas?

only if you go with some kind of mage/warrior hybrid. A better idea would be to keep some +magery items around and equip them when you want to mark a location (might have to cast from scrolls to do this).

4. Is Focus worth it? And if so, is it worth taking to 100%?

focus is nice but only at 120, and it isn't as useful for a warrior as other skills would be. Mystics are typically the only ones who need it at max.

Bonus Question: If I wanted to go for a warrior-mage hybrid, what skills should I invest in? Or would that exclude me from end-game stuff? (This is honestly what I would love to do but figuring out what skills I would need is a bit daunting.)

I'm not going to try to answer this one because I've been out of game for too long. But if you want end-game PVE stuff, you'll probably want to stick to one area or another to be as effective as possible. The hybrid styles are usually better for PVP.

edit: Welcome to UOForums!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Noble_Einherjar

Noble_Einherjar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for your answers. I'm not looking forward to slowly raising my Healing skill, but being able to revive a ghost with a bandage is a pretty awesome payoff.

And thank you for the warm welcome. It feels good to be back.

But now I have one more question. What is 4/6 casting? I've been looking around and it seems to have something to do with equipment but I can't find a solid answer.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
it means faster casting 4, faster cast recovery 6, which is the fastest FC and FCR that chivalry can use. You can spam the chiv healing spell pretty easily with it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
If you just want to mark your own runes and want to save the skill points on your character. I would suggest you get a ring and braclet with 15 magery imbued on them but then you need some mark scrolls to mark runes for this character. It is how I marked runes for one of my crafting characters. Though if you are going to mark runes in Trammel dungeons this might be somewhat dangerous since most people suits are built with ring/brac in mind.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
1. Yes. Especially as you will also want to have at least 90 healing. Without anatomy, you won't heal enough hp.

2. Yes. Chivalry is mostly used to deal more damage in pvm and to remove curses. Chiv heals are nice but most only use them in emergencies on top of bandage heals.

3. Don't waste skillpoints only to mark. Get jewelry with +15 magery each and a tome of lost knowlegde with another 15 magery. Then you should be able to cast mark most of the time (from scrolls). And effective warrior is a tight template, you don't want to spent more skillpoints than necessary.

4. Focus is great - not only at 120. Only mystics need 120, for warriors any amount of focus helps. For every ten points in focus you'll get 1 Mana Reg and 1 Stamina Reg.

Proposed template:
120 Sword
120 tactics
120 Parrying
120 Anatomy
120 Chivalry
100 Healing

This is a very straightforward warrior template. Good to get back in the game. Later on you can get fancy with other skills like bushido, mystic, necro or such.

As for your liking of Spirit Speak. this is usually only used by necromancers (necro/mage being the most popular template). there is a melee template that works with Spirit speak - going by the nickname of 'whammy' - but it's not the easiest template to play and I wouldn't advise it as a first char for a returning player.

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

shinners

shinners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
on the topic of anatomy should i take it straight to 120?

this is my goal:
120 bush
120 archery
120 resist
100 or 120 tactics
100or 120 anatomy
100 healing
and rest in chiv

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I would raise it to 120 and rather go down to 90 healing. You will have only very little chivalry skill, maybe you should think about sacrificing resisting spells. But that really depends on playstyle.

shinners

shinners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Well this guy is going to be my pvp, still debating on factions or not but factions seem to be popular on pacific atm.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Factions are fun, I can only advise it :)

I run exactly this template - without the resist. works fine for me.

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I don't like the singular reliance on chivalry for healing since I would have to have a higher intel/mana. For a warrior (melee fighter), most of my points are in str/dex. I keep my mana at about 30-35 so that I can use Enemy of One, etc. Healing with bandies do the rest.

Hope helps,
Clex