Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

wow close their mag down!!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
World of Warcraft Official Magazine Shuts Down

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
Not surprising really. It costs a lot to pay staff and print the magazine. If they had little outside advertising it prolly couldn't break even.

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
I aint really a fan of WoW.. but I found this info on another gaming website.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Most Mags are going down anymore. The cost of printing is just so much higher then the revenue that advertisement is bringing in. Plus the internet is killing them driving that revenue down more as well as taking away their subscription.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
Game Informer is a very unique magazine in that it has a large amount of ads and a high subscription base.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
They are not all going down but they need to have a large niche market that is not being already highly served. I myself get tons of magazines and trade letters and more then a few scholarly journals and they are all still going strong. But I doubt that WoW has enough of a player base and advertiser allure to stay in business. Its just a sad fact. Not to mention I would imagine that, dare I say, all its customers can get information from faster online sources. Its just the sad fact that its a tough market for print today and I doubt WoW is big enough to make it work.

Snugglebunny

Snugglebunny

indisputably more awesome

• Members
  • 5,665 posts
I think WOW has a huge player base, I just don't think their magazines or books are entertaining enough to follow. I know a lot of people are into WOW lore, but I'm not one of them. Plus I imagine it is a very slow story line. I'm not sure how often its published, but I don't think its on par with most comics. I do have to admit that the artwork is A+, I do own a book or two, and they are quiet lovely, but they don't grab my attention enough to want to buy all of them.

Well rub butter on my beautiful butt and call me a croissant!

Posted Image

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
This is their magazine that came out, I think, bi-monthly.

Seeing as I'm in print media, i really do understand why they shut it down. You don't really want to sell advertising to any competing game, so that would be out. You wouldn't want to sell advertising that would conflict with Activision products. You are limited to whatever contracts with companies (like Razer) to not promote/advertise other products.

Chances are, they didn't break even in subscription + advertising which is the end result of shutting down.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I was trying to say that while WoW does have a huge player base, the amount of players that buy the magazine is probably not huge. Additionally plenty of news magazines have found that they do not have enough of a base and are either shutting down or changing format. So its less about players then about how expensive publishing is. In fact MAD magazine is getting closer and closer to shutting down each week.