Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mythic hates Chivarly skills

23 replies to this topic

Mixels

Mixels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Avoiding that situation, while still striving to balance different character templates is at least part of what led to what you are complaining about.

I think most companies consider balance + diversity to be good game design. Unfortunately, affected players tend to not like being balanced "down".

They could balance everything else up to chiv, but that costs a lot and can cause other major problems.

In a skill-based game, you have a problem that's not present in leveling games that allow respecs. Specifically, "respeccing" in a skill-based game isn't a simple one-click adventure. It takes time and in-game capital to change templates and to update suits to match those templates. While the gear bit is an issue in other games, inflation of UO's currency along with the fact that most gear in UO is bought from other players (or acquired from hunting if you spend loads of time trying to get specific pieces) exacerbates the problem profoundly. In level-based games, when the devs decide to balance a specific character class or skill, I can "adapt" faster and more easily than I can do in UO. And the argument that players should adapt like other UO players have been for over twelve years is a pretty stupid one. It can be done, sure. Trouble is, it can take a lot of effort to make it happen, depending how tight a template is to begin with, and not all affected players have setbacks to their progress up there in the realm of things they consider fun.

Dargrimm

Dargrimm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

In a skill-based game, you have a problem that's not present in leveling games that allow respecs. Specifically, "respeccing" in a skill-based game isn't a simple one-click adventure. It takes time and in-game capital to change templates and to update suits to match those templates. While the gear bit is an issue in other games, inflation of UO's currency along with the fact that most gear in UO is bought from other players (or acquired from hunting if you spend loads of time trying to get specific pieces) exacerbates the problem profoundly. In level-based games, when the devs decide to balance a specific character class or skill, I can "adapt" faster and more easily than I can do in UO. And the argument that players should adapt like other UO players have been for over twelve years is a pretty stupid one. It can be done, sure. Trouble is, it can take a lot of effort to make it happen, depending how tight a template is to begin with, and not all affected players have setbacks to their progress up there in the realm of things they consider fun.

Sure. I get the impact of having a skill based game.
Have you considered this from a dev/test perspective?

Making sure a skill-based game is balanced from the first release? Not an easy task. Making sure you have proper telemetry from beta testing to make a decision? Not necessarily trivial either. And that completely ignores dev room corporate politics.

Balancing in such a way that you will never impact players would unnecessarily impact dev turnaround time. I do not think the community really wants to wait for it.

Seems like you are in favor of balancing up. That also has its own costs. At some point, it really comes down to which evil do you want to live with?

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
*coughs* soulstones ....
Some people can adapt in seconds :)

And it is harder to grind items again in wow for a different spec than soulstone skills in uo :P

So see it positive, no one gets nerfed, some skills just take a rest

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Test Center! You can adapt very quickly on Test Center. :D

Reply to this topic