Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mythic hates Chivarly skills

23 replies to this topic

Emmeric the mage

Emmeric the mage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
How do you spell nerf these days .....Chivarly, I miss the old days before they nerf necromancy, nerf it, yeah thats the answer just nerf it .....nerf me bro nevermind the electro taser thingy!

Standing in the super market I really wish I could nerf the meat prices! Six months payed in advance to come back to nerf city! , ,,Yuppers once again they zapped me with the ole nerf a skill project, because someone made a char to solo suff!

Go figure, if people are going throught the trouble to build builds to solo stuff and a really lot of people are building builds to solo stuff ....duh here's your sign, there 's a huge demand for solo content, pissed off in nerf ville. NERF SKILLS AND GIVE MOBS 20000 HIT POINTS YUP that's the way you do it get your money for nothing on the EA ....that keep people interested in our game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
I think its more that they got sick of everyone only using 80 chivalry.

As someone who uses a 120 paladin anyway, I have to say I support all the Chivalry changes
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Seriously?

You think that adding a damage bonus to consecrate weapon is a nerf?

Or lowering the DCI penalty for divine fury, maybe? Is that a nerf?

Sure, if you're a min-maxer who has only used 60 chivalry on your sampire, you may feel a little sting, but at 80 chivalry, the only pain you'll feel is that divine fury won't refresh all of your stamina. OH NO! I have to drink a 50 gold red potion when I want to swing faster! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD, YOU HATE ME UO DEVELOPERS!

I will now give you a quest.

Go out with your newly nerfed samurai or ABC archer or whatever. Find the biggest thing you can kill before you got so mercilessly hacked to pieces by the new buff... er... nerf. Try to kill it again.

If that doesn't work, then do what UO players have been doing for 14 years now when their favorite skills change. Adapt.
Posted Image

WatFATnight

WatFATnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
What I dislike about the changes is that it drives people into "classes" of characters. One thing I like about UO is that there are no predefined classes, you can mix and match your skills to do what you want. Why not make this a level based game and get it over with?

I will adapt as I have for 12 years now.
Fat

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

What I dislike about the changes is that it drives people into "classes" of characters. One thing I like about UO is that there is no classes, you can mix and match your skills to do what you want. Why not make this a level based game and get it over with?

How does this prevent you from mixing and matching? You need more skill points in Chivalry now? Well, isn't that on part with other skills, not to mention those skills which have support skills?

A guildmate of mine posted a thread here asking why does anyone play anything besides a Sampire. This change was a balancing change to make other players who use other templates not feel quite so outstripped. If anything, I'd say the change encourages a greater variety than everyone having the standard sampire template.

WatFATnight

WatFATnight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

How does this prevent you from mixing and matching? You need more skill points in Chivalry now? Well, isn't that on part with other skills, not to mention those skills which have support skills?

A guildmate of mine posted a thread here asking why does anyone play anything besides a Sampire. This change was a balancing change to make other players who use other templates not feel quite so outstripped. If anything, I'd say the change encourages a greater variety than everyone having the standard sampire template.

I can see what you are saying, but I do not agree.

I don`t use a Sampire BTW

Posting and fighting in the abyss is not working out too well, il reply a little better later.

I would have liked to see Chiv beefed up with new moves/spells that would required higher skill and karma.
Fat

Emmeric the mage

Emmeric the mage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
You guys are right I should shut up and learn to adapt UO rocks.

wouldn't have hurt to reward a 120 chivarly with full stamia recharge but hey who really needs to make that last kill shot on the run in PvP anyways !
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
to me id stop the use of Necro and Chiv together its an oxymoron!

they are not meant to be on the same character

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Emmeric the mage

Emmeric the mage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

That's so true my quess is people feel that the skills are to weak to use just one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

They aren't, but that's the beauty of UO. Me, I love to play quirky templates so when AoS was first released, one of the first characters I made was a necro-paladin. RP-Wise, I made him a death knight and he was a blast to play.

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
i can see it working from that point of view il give you that :)

*proven wrong*

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

Sure they can be used together. It's called anti-paladin :)

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Would have called such a 'anti paladin' a hypocrite :P

Dargrimm

Dargrimm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
It doesnt seem like so much of a nerf, but a slight rebalance for Chiv dabblers. It just tightens up the template options for min/maxing.

Overall, I still think Chiv will be too powerful compared to other skills.

Jagarr

Jagarr

Seller Supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
i always liked the ability to only use a skill partially in a template, but not necessarily for full effect. i wish there were more of it actually! UO is not a class based MMO and i hope to the lawd jeesusth that it never becomes one. weird min/maxed skill combos are what make it great!

as general rules, i think that:

1. buffs to opposing skills should arrive in a patch before nerfs to one skill for the sake of others, especially when only one playstyle (PvP or PvE) is really affected.

2. new abilities should be continuously added for variety rather than trying to balance to the letter a smattering of old ones. i mean new ABILITIES for existing SKILLS not necessary new skills. too many new skills with six abilities each is really annoying and murders templates.

3. 'pure' classes should always be the most powerful but also the weakest defensively ie. they should have the most counters. but left to stand there and freely use abilities, they should be able to mess up a whole screen of people. reward creativity with utility and likewise reward players who use the skills as they were meant to in a 'pure' class setting with higher percentage bonuses to their main skill.
Buying, selling, and wasting time since 1997!
Contact me via web site methods or PM only!!

Mixels

Mixels

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

It's not a bloody oxymoron. From day one, the devs have encouraged the use of Chivalry and Necromancy together. The karma-related effects of using each ability are not and never were meant to prevent you from using both skills together. They were introduced to add a more dynamic element to using these skills. You could always use both skills together, and it should continue that way.

Emmeric the mage

Emmeric the mage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

It doesnt seem like so much of a nerf, but a slight rebalance for Chiv dabblers. It just tightens up the template options for min/maxing.

Overall, I still think Chiv will be too powerful compared to other skills.

Here is a better idea lets all just make the same character skill for skill ,item for item and everything will be a neatly balance and we'll have the funest game online.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dargrimm

Dargrimm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Here is a better idea lets all just make the same character skill for skill ,item for item and everything will be a neatly balance and we'll have the funest game online.

Avoiding that situation, while still striving to balance different character templates is at least part of what led to what you are complaining about.

I think most companies consider balance + diversity to be good game design. Unfortunately, affected players tend to not like being balanced "down".

They could balance everything else up to chiv, but that costs a lot and can cause other major problems.

Emmeric the mage

Emmeric the mage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Avoiding that situation, while still striving to balance different character templates is at least part of what led to what you are complaining about.

I think most companies consider balance + diversity to be good game design. Unfortunately, affected players tend to not like being balanced "down".

They could balance everything else up to chiv, but that costs a lot and can cause other major problems.

So then, we should do away with tamed greater dragons then and balance the tamer down a notch also!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dargrimm

Dargrimm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

So then, we should do away with tamed greater dragons then and balance the tamer down a notch also!

Sure, put that on the table for investigation.
Major pet classes in every MMO are historically looked at with a critical eye anyway.

Reply to this topic