Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Cooking?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Eslake

Eslake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Nothing new on cooking posted since 2009?

How many cooks are even left? I know there are some, I see those special pies and fish on vendors. :P

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
We are creative cooks - no need to discuss anything - our receipies are family secrets *Giggles*

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

Eslake

Eslake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
hehehe
I'll keep my secret recipe for Exceptionally crafted by Lord Knows Who +50 Everything Pies than. ;)

Actually I'm just wondering if there is a decent gains guide out there. I know they added difficulty so I doubt we can GM making bread like once upon a time.

Nice to see the new things.. useful pies, materials for piracy, fun fun fun. :)

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Well, I did GM last year with fish steaks ^-^
Should note that I HATE fish *chuckles*

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

EOGamer Network PR ManagerEOGamer Network Community ManagerGodde

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I'm still working towards GM. Such a painful skill to level up anymore.

Baruk_S

Baruk_S

UO YouTube Creator

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
I have several chefs on different shards... forgot which ones, but Europa I have 2.

Eslake

Eslake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Well I won't complain either way :)

My first day back I made a new character, and using materials I had banked, had a 4x GM crafter before server maintenance the next morning. (smith, carpentry, tinkering, armslore, mid 60s tailoring at that point)

They Really eased the gains system.

Oddly, Lumberjacking and Mining seem correspondingly Slower to gain after 95. Maybe an effort to slow trial-mule farming?

Etoh

Etoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
can we still GM cooking by cooking fish steaks only?

on uoguide.com they said that cooking a stack of raw meat will result in much faster gains than cooking one slab at a time... is this true? what if i have a stack of 10,000 fish steaks and try to cook this all at once... will my skill increase jump by, say, 20 points at once or something like that?

i'm asking because i thought the general strategy was to *not* do things in stacks, like for mining skill it is recommended to smelt one piece of ore at a time instead of the whole pile of ores.

elffyb

elffyb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
Stacks of food are supposed to net gains at the same rate as singly. I have done stacks and received multiple gains, but never analyzed it very closely.

Ore is best to do singly because of the 50% loss of ore on a fail. So if you fail on a stack of 1 you only lose 50% of 1. If fail on a stack of say 50 youll lose 25 ore.

Eslake

Eslake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
I remember something about cooking in stacks giving multiple gains, but I never trusted it really.
I just didn't see them making it come out the Same as doing singles, because you could just cook 100k fish steaks in 1 minute that way to GM.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Just checked test center.

You still cook stacks at one go, and you can only gain once on a success for the stack.

I started with 1000 fish steaks, 30 cooking... cooked 996 at once with no gain. (Had 4 fails)
Posted Image

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts
I've done it before with multiple gains, I just don't have that many raw fish unless I go fishing.

Etoh

Etoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

I've done it before with multiple gains, I just don't have that many raw fish unless I go fishing.

what is "multiple gains"?

do you mean you gain more than 0.1 points at a time (like when using an alacrity scroll)?

how large were your fish stacks when you were cooking?

thanks!

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

A good example is crafting Fukiya Darts with Bowcraft/Fletching. It consumes all the boards in your backpack and creates as many darts as it can at once. The gains from it is added as if you have crafted each dart separately. Unlike SoAs with 0.5 skill gain cap, there is no cap in this case.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

Baruk_S

Baruk_S

UO YouTube Creator

• Members
  • 1,219 posts
I always get my GM by making dough (Bag of Flour and water pitcher) because I never trusted the multiple gain system either.
For a fact I know I once cooked over 400 raw ribs and got just the 0.1 gain from them (and did this several times).
The dough and bread loafs are one item per try, but at least every try counts as 1, I GM'ed it in just under a week, but then I only play for 2 or 3 hours at a time.

Kayhynn

Kayhynn

• Administrators
  • 4,572 posts

do you mean you gain more than 0.1 points at a time (like when using an alacrity scroll)?

how large were your fish stacks when you were cooking?

thanks!

Kinda. Nimuag explains it below.

I honestly don't remember. I just fish fish fish, cook, fish fish fish cook.

Though, I will say, like Baruk, I have gained more from making dough and cooking bread or cookies in a short time than I have from cooking fishies.

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
when i trained it i did use stacks. I also used an alacrity scroll at the same time. I got astronomically high multiple gains, above the .5 mark on most of them, until the higher levels. But, I did use just fish in stacks and got to GM in about less than one hour from nothing. I've now got about 110k cooked fish steaks sitting in my kitchen. LOL!

Etoh

Etoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
that's a LOT of cooked fish steaks! wow...

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
It sure is LOL!

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I used the bread baking method. Wasn't incredbly fast, but you can even make a small profit by having a backpack full of flower sifters and standing in a bakers shop buying flour and selling bread.

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm