Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

What makes a good weapon?

- - - - - good makes weapon

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Hi all -

I've been out of the game for a while, and now that I'm back, I've got some loot to dig through! What attributes make a weapon worth keeping?

For example - the Life Leech property. Sounds like a good thing. What's the lowest value that makes it worth keeping? 20%? 30%

How about DCI and HCI?

What are your most preferred attributes on a weapon, and what values do you look for?

Is there a chart anywhere that lists the minimum values for various attributes that make them valuable?

Thanks! :)

Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Wycorp--Dwarf Hunter

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
I usually only keep DI Slayers for my Fencer. Other properties are nice, but not neccessary.

If you were in the market to sell items or keep for use in PvP, Id look for good combos. Like DI, HCI, and Hit Spell Effect all on one wep for instance.

You can find a list of all properties and their caps here. It is a bit out of date as they scaled Hit Leeches to weapon speed. Not exactly sure how it works, but the slower the wep the higher the possible % of Hit XXXX Leech.

Posted Image

Arjuna

Arjuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
In my opinion don't worry so much about "end game" style weapons. Each weapon you come across, compare it to what you have and decide if this is an upgrade or not.

If in doubt, keep your old one(s), try the new one, and see which you prefer.

There are many qualities all of which will make a good weapons.

Swing speed is important.
Damage is important.
Leeches are very helpful.
Hit Chance increase can be helpful.
Special moves can be helpful (and having the right special move for your template).
Some people like spell effects (i'm torn on those, since they also clobber your auto-defense in a group of monsters).
Super slayer qualities are helpful (undead slayer, repond slayer, etc.)

Just go through a long process of upgrading :)
Posted Image

Mercenary

Mercenary

i refuse to flex!!

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
Honestly, it all depends on what type of weapon it is, and if the properties would work with it. If it's a slow weapon, you want swing speed increase. If it's a weapon that doesn't do much damage, you would want damage increase. The few variables that are paramount to any weapon would be Hit chance increase, hit lower defense, any type of % for hit harm, fireball, lightning, spell channeling(for mages), and slayer types if you hunt certain monsters.

I personally am looking for hatchets that have high damage increase, hit chance increase, fast casting, and any type of % for harm, fireball, or lightning. Also apply this statement to hammerpicks as well.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Thanks everybody! This is very helpful!

I've been shopping around just to see what sorts of weapons are high priced (and semi-presumably, then, valuable) and looking for patterns in their attributes, but that has been fairly useless since gold on Atlantic seems to be worthless.

My main character is an archer, but I also have a fencer/peacer and a swords/mage that need dusting off. I've been training on dragons, and ironically found a dragon slayer bow for 50gp that I can do 110 points of damage in one hit with (with EoO and consecrate wep). It's a regular bow with DI of 19% and some stamina leech. I would have thought it was junk, but it does quite well! (Made of frostwood)

I will get the hang of these weapon attributes one of these days!! Thanks :)

Arjuna

Arjuna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Nice! Congrats and good luck, kitiara.
Posted Image

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
If you use 2 handed weapons DCI can be very helpful too.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Wow just noticed the age of this post.

teach me to walk away from the computer.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
lol I thought Adam put into effect some thing that didn't allow new replies to posts older than a year old. Oh well :)

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.
You definitely want at least 30s or 40s ssi and di. The mods depend a great deal on your template.

I run a swords/bush char w/ 0 focus, 0 meditation. He's a tank and he needs mana for lighting strike. Thus, I always need at least 30s hit leech life and 30s hit mana leech.

I have an archer/weaver who has 60 med, but who uses WOD a lot, which is a mana hog. I always aim for 40s mana leech on his bows.

If you have a pvp char - either dexxer or warrior/thief - you want hit lower defense and hit lighting, for spell interruption.

Again, just depends on your respective needs.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

lol I thought Adam put into effect some thing that didn't allow new replies to posts older than a year old. Oh well :)

Now I know what they mean by kick a man when he's down lol=)

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Nice rezzing of a two plus year old thread lol.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Nice rezzing of a two plus year old thread lol.

well it fizzeled several times but I finally Made that Noble Sacrifice now if any one has a bandage I think I have a bloody nose. lol

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
lol, oops. Didn't see look at the age of the original post.

No charge for the advice, in that case. This one's on the house.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Maybe we should keep this thread going anyway Times change and so do weapon needs.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Since we're already in *An Corp Thread* mode:

SSI
HML
Hit Spell Effect
DI

The above are in my personal order-of-preference. SSI is king.

~M

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
Partially I'll go with Magister...
first of all SSI. Then in the following order
HLL
HML
DI
slayer option
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Depends on the purpose. The good weapons have a combination of (but not necessarily everything from... that would be impossible)
PvM melee: SSI, HLD (if not covered by mace and shield glasses), HML, HSL, HLA
PvP melee: SSI, HLD, HLA, HCI, DCI, spell effect

Archery:
Add in balanced to the above.

My favorite weapon: Crossbow, HLD, HLA, HLL, SSI, DI (exceptional crafted). It either ends fights quickly or gets people to gang up on me. That crossbow with the balanced property (in place of HLL) is my holy grail in UO.

waico

waico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I wouldnt mind good discussion on this topic, however old the thread is.

I think i play the game in the same light as the OP.

I love loot. I go on hunting trips, gather up tons of loot, then sit in my house going through it all.... So i have the same sort of questions about loot. What makes for a good weapon.

I wish there were like a sliding scale, weighted values susytem to sort of rank weapon properties against one another.

When i go shopping in mlas, ill see weapons that seem mediocre but sell for A LOT, and then i find, what appear to be AWESOME weapons to me, selling for pennies.

So i often wonder what im missing.

Like Fast casting, mage weapon, etc etc. And on shields, if you can cast spells while equipting it, but it also DOESNT give a penalty to casting time, those seem valuable....

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
I sense that weapon looting has become somewhat extinct since the introduction of imbuing. Granted, looted weapon can have unique intensities and can occasionally lend themselves imbuing, but it has become extremely easy to make a one-in-a-thousand weapon with imbuing. To me, the effort is no longer worthwhile.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: good, makes, weapon