Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Returning Player

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Scott

Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to help me out. I started out playing UO back in 1998 and left just around the Trammel implementation. However, I've always kept my eye on the game since and I think I am ready to get back into it.

I currently have an old-school 7x GM with:
Magery
Swordsmanship
Tactics
Eval Intel
Meditation
Res. Magic
Anatomy (i think, lol it's been so long)

First, how relevant is this nowadays as far as playability?

Second, I am also thinking about modifying this character to become a bard and pick up some of those skills (or whatever skills required to be useful).

I guess what I am looking for is some advice on my route to go and what I can actually accomplish. Or if it would just be better to make a new character and start over since I am so out of the loop.

Thanks again, for any help you all can offer!

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
I'm not really good at giving template advice so I'll leave that for those with more expertise. I will say welcome back and if you play Pacific, let me know!

mspossi

mspossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
I think it not to advise, but to help, if may I'll give opinion.
You have a very mixed character, like you said is in GM, I would choose to leave it like this with a little alterations; as mage, you can make small attacks the middle distance and eventuelly heal, since you quit close to the monsters or player can also teleport to almost everywhere. If you opt for the mage you do not need the swordman, tactics and anatomy they are used by warriors, and for close range attacks. You also said he wants to turn him into a bard, and bards are not refer to direct attacks, or for those wishing to explore alone, unless you decision to make him a warrior/bard.
I have a bard/archer, with four skill of the bard, and archer,chivary and tactics.:D

Scott

Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I think it not to advise, but to help, if may I'll give opinion.
You have a very mixed character, like you said is in GM, I would choose to leave it like this with a little alterations; as mage, you can make small attacks the middle distance and eventuelly heal, since you quit close to the monsters or player can also teleport to almost everywhere. If you opt for the mage you do not need the swordman, tactics and anatomy they are used by warriors, and for close range attacks. You also said he wants to turn him into a bard, and bards are not refer to direct attacks, or for those wishing to explore alone, unless you decision to make him a warrior/bard.
I have a bard/archer, with four skill of the bard, and archer,chivary and tactics.:D

Thanks for the response :)

So from what I am gathering, it might work to drop the warrior based skills and just pick up bard focused skills? Provocation, Peacemaking?

Actually the more I was thinking about it I might also want to try out taming... though I really have no idea what skills would be required for that other than 'taming.'

mspossi

mspossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Well, like say Jack's ripper, for let's share:D
for pure warrior, you're need besides the three that you have, also healing, so you can heal during the battle (with bandage) and chivary, which serves to heal, teleport and improve you1re performance in battle, see he has one skill right? well not use it until you have fully developed your char then you decide if you want to learm any profession or develop your char at most.Finally the tamer:
I use as a magician too, because the funcion of the tamer is not fight directly, but rather with their pets, I personaly prefer using the advancer character of EA (EA buy, or of any vendor on-line)over there start their tamer, otherwise you need plenty of patience to get your char from the beginning.have fun:cool

Scott

Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Well, like say Jack's ripper, for let's share:D
for pure warrior, you're need besides the three that you have, also healing, so you can heal during the battle (with bandage) and chivary, which serves to heal, teleport and improve you1re performance in battle, see he has one skill right? well not use it until you have fully developed your char then you decide if you want to learm any profession or develop your char at most.Finally the tamer:
I use as a magician too, because the funcion of the tamer is not fight directly, but rather with their pets, I personaly prefer using the advancer character of EA (EA buy, or of any vendor on-line)over there start their tamer, otherwise you need plenty of patience to get your char from the beginning.have fun:cool

I see what you're saying as far as healing goes. But doesn't Magery have the Greater Healing spell? That would serve the purpose of healing instead of Chivalry? Also I think Magery also has teleport as well?

mspossi

mspossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

I see what you're saying as far as healing goes. But doesn't Magery have the Greater Healing spell? That would serve the purpose of healing instead of Chivalry? Also I think Magery also has teleport as well?

:)ok, this is not I meant the mage has to stop gesturing to cast the spell, either deffesinve or offensive, there are some items that will decrease this time to cast the spell, but is very expensive in game and you create this objects would have to be trained in imbuing a char in gm level, which seems that you do not have yet,and believe his enemies are not waiting for you cast spells=)

mspossi

mspossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

:)ok, this is not I meant the mage has to stop gesturing to cast the spell, either deffesinve or offensive, there are some items that will decrease this time to cast the spell, but is very expensive in game and you create this objects would have to be trained in imbuing a char in gm level, which seems that you do not have yet,and believe his enemies are not waiting for you cast spells=)

yes, the mage can do all this and mark all the runes that you may need to travel:D
  • Scott likes this

Scott

Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

yes, the mage can do all this and mark all the runes that you may need to travel:D

Okay, I totally follow you now. Man, so much has changed since I last played! But it does seem like it would be better for me to stick with my current character, and retrain his skills; rather than starting a brand new character.

mspossi

mspossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
Hello! ok, good luck, and if you are playing in europe shard, you can visit me at my house on the south east of Ter Mur, house of a Matheo.:D

tayo

tayo

Badger Badger Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

I currently have an old-school 7x GM with:
Magery
Swordsmanship
Tactics
Eval Intel
Meditation
Res. Magic
Anatomy (i think, lol it's been so long)

First, how relevant is this nowadays as far as playability?

Hey welcome back! You're not alone in rejoining, many people are rejoining every day :P

You will find that having just 100 skill in certain areas will make it increasingly difficult to take on the new monsters and content in the newer expansion packs. If you are into PVP, you'll find that you will not be able to take anybody down.

First it depends on what you want your character to be, since you and others have observed your characters' diverse skill set. There are weapons now that have "Mage Weapon" ability on them, which basically converts your Magery into a melee skill with that weapon equipped, very useful. So if you have 120 Magery and you equip a Mage Weapon -20 weapon, your magery becomes 100, however, you now have 100 melee skill to fight with too!

Magic resist has changed dramatically since you've been in the game. It's most useful for PVP, and very high end PVM. Worth hanging onto, but very easy to gain nowadays.

Anatomy is purely for damage output, and healing with bandaids. Anatomy also provided a defense chance increase bonus in combination with wrestling in the past, but I'm unsure if that still exists.

You mentioned that you also wanted to get into some barding skills, I would recommend discordance as being the most powerful of the barding skills (especially if you typically like to solo monsters). Provocation and peacemaking are both fun, but arguably less useful.

I'm not a mage/bard template guru, since I typically play with a tamer or warrior. But I'll offer this template for a pure mage to you:

120 Magery
120 Eval Intel
120 Discordance
120 Musicianship
+ Meditation
It's a fine template, but lacks in diversity in my opinion. Another very very popular and complex template would be:

120 Magery
120 Int Eval
120 Necromancy
120 Spirit Speak
120 Spell Weaving (done last)
+ Meditation

This is a ton of skill points to attain, which is why you will need to find jewelry pieces with +15 skill to some of those, as well as armor items that have + skill.

If you were on Napa Valley, I'd imbue something for you as a welcome back present!

Scott

Scott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thank you so much for this reply! Tons of awesome information for me to get started with, here.

I finally, today, upgraded my account to Stygian and got to look at my character. He is actually:

Focus: 100
Tactics: 100
Wrestling: 96.6
Eval Intel: 100
Magery: 100
Resist Spells: 82
Meditation: 100

Then random skills that I was knocking down at the time:
Fencing: 20.5
Healing: 20.9

Taming is something I also knocked around the idea of because I missed out on that when I first started playing. Probably because I was really young when I started playing and the idea of 'taming' an animal was boring compared to blowing people up with magic lol. Same deal with bard skills as well.

Though I noticed you didn't mention Provocation and Peacemaking as important? Is there a reason for this? To me, it appeared that being able to have a monster fight your battles for you appeared to be quite useful (especially then using peacemaking to make it not fight you).

Any thoughts on that?

I really don't want to gimp myself with skills so any advice is appreciated!

I also noted that in your template it only listed four skills plus a fifth. I was under the assumption, last I played... lol, that the max was 700. This would allow for another 100 points? Is that open for whatever, or am I misunderstanding?

Sorry for the spam of questions lol.

aoaoo0

aoaoo0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I'm not really good at giving template advice so I'll leave that for those with more expertise. I will say welcome back and if you play Pacific, let me know!

i'm a newer too

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

i'm a newer too

WELCOME TO UOForums :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

i'm a newer too

Welcome, to both UO and UOForums. What shard are you playing?