Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Archer PVP template, help plz!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Vandariel

Vandariel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello guys,

Im new on UO and Im just starting my first PVP template, I did some research and since I wanna play archer, thats what I was thinking so far:

Archery 100 ( +20 Hunter's Headdress - question, does this +20 counts on my skill cap??)
Tatics 120
Anatomy 100
Healing 90
Resist Spells 120
Chivalry - 70
Ninjutso 100

Total cap 700 -

Stats

Str 80
Dex 120
Int 25

Total cap 225

Well, the only thing that Im really concerned so far is about my mana, I'll try to guear up some stuff to help me with that, but still.

Any suggestions or coments?

I didn't try this yet, so any good suggestion about how to play pvp with this kind of character?

Thanks!

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
What do you expect to get out of chivalry in PvP?

Glad to see you did your research :) Not everyone does that.

And the +20 doesn't count toward your skill cap.
Posted Image

Vandariel

Vandariel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello man! Thx for the reply.

Well, I was doing some experiments with a friend and the buffs from chivalry made him do a lot more dmg when hiting me. So, I was thinking about using chivalry to protect against curses and also help on dmg with Consecrate Weapon and Divine Fury. I was also thinking about Enemy of One if I catch my self in some 1x1 pvp (but I dunno if the skill works with pvp or if is made only for pvm). I'll also use this char for some pvm, by changing gear and using slayer weapons, so... thats pretty much why chivalry.

Do you think isn't a good Idea? Should I replace it with something else?

I was thinking about hiding/stealth but I dont have any room for it and I also heard that isn't good for 1x1 fights. Not sure though.

Other thing that Im confuse about is my guear, there are some vital Itens that u would suggest me?

Thanks!

Bruno

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The thing about chivalry is that it pretty much requires that you get faster casting 3 or 4 on your suit, which comes at the cost of other modification. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but you do have to know what you plan on doing with it before you enter that area.

When I tried it, it didn't work for me, but I've seen people use it to great effects in the past.

The only spells you need to worry about in PvP are close wounds, remove curse and maybe divine fury... but you have to take into account that DF is a double edged sword. You do more damage and swing faster, but your opponent (if melee or archer) will hit you more often as well.

Enemy of one doesn't work in PvP at all.

For a PvP/PvM archer, I would highly suggest including chivalry. In PvM, Enemy of one is priceless, and divine fury isn't bad either.

A while back (oh, about two years ago now), a friend and I were playing with our archer templates. She had 120 archery, tactics, anatomy, healing, resist and bushido. I had 120 archery and bushido 100 tactics, anatomy, healing, meditation and 80 chivalry. Short story shorter... She killed me nearly 100% of the time. Since then, I've tuned my template to include ninjitsu instead of chivalry and mace fighting instead of bushido. I love my current template for PvP, but it really stinks for PvM... for monster bashing, I have chivalry instead of ninjitsu and bushido instead of mace fighting, and it's suddenly the one of the most effective monster hunter templates out there.

Anyway, gear... Factions?
If not, hunter's headdress, fey leggings, primer on arms damage removal and the rest imbued. If you have leggings of the insane tinker and the ranger's cloak, I can not recommend them enough... but they're expensive. (Swing speed increase is EVERYTHING to an archer, so they're in high demand)

Try to get DCI to 60-65, HCI to 45, DI to 100, LMC to 40, MR wherever it fits and the rest of your gear should be focused on stats (str, dex, int, stamina, HP, Mana)
Posted Image

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
You need to figure out what you want your archer to do. I play an odd ball stealth archer template that is primarily for group fighting, it disarms and dismounts so it is very valuable with other players around, but 1 v 1 it isn't a very strong character. Usually that is the role a stealth archer will play, scout and dismount support template.

A 6x120 archer would be most balanced in my opinion, you get the meditation (or perhaps ninja depends on what you are most worried about countering) along with solid healing and keeping resist spells for mages. You also end up with room to change skills around, if you want a little chiv for stamina refresh/concecrate. But this is very straight forward, "pure" archer you just blast specials with your bow.

Fencer/Archer is the popular one these days, it can perform multiple roles increasing its effectivness. Disarms and bleeds with a war fork then uses the composite bow to hit with AI's and moving shots. This temp is best in groups I think, while it can be very strong solo. You see more of these all the time.

Now for stats I see you do not have a 255 cap, which is raised with a stat scroll, this is kind of a big deal you need the points. Also look into using 50 enhance potions and using agility and str potions to raise your stats up even more. Even without ep you need to use these, it's free stat points.

Vandariel

Vandariel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks again guys! You're helping a lot! I was training ninja and I don't think it worth that much without stealth so I rather just create another char later to play ninja. For now my decision is going to this direction:

1#
Archery 120
Tatics 120
Anatomy 120
Healing 90
Resist 120
Bushido 100
Meditation/or Focus 50

2#
Archery 100 ( 20+ Hunter's Headdress)
Tatics 120
Anatomy 120
Healing 90
Resist 120
Bushido 100
Chivalry 70

3#
Archery 120
Tatics 120
Anatomy 120
Healing 120
Resist 120
Bushido 120

I think the seconde one might be better, since I don't really need healing and Bushido cap on 120. (At least, I think I don't....) And since is my first char, I'll need to use it to make money on PVE, so it must do some pVE also...

Which one should I go for?
I really one stand up for 1x1 also, not only for group pvp.

And for a second char, I want a really pure pvp.Is Ninj/Fenc/Stealth/Poison a good build for pvp also?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I would go with #2, except with 120 bushido and 100 anatomy.

My reason is, lightning strike and confidence (the only bushido spells you'll use) are a lot better at 120 than 100, and you'll likely not notice the difference between 120 and 100 anatomy (it's worth about 1-2 points per shot offensively)

Poison is hard to work with in PvP. Everyone should have cure potions, so you need to do a lot of poisoning to get a clear advantage. But it is a cheap special move which makes it easy to chain.
Posted Image

Jimmy Pop

Jimmy Pop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Best questions for a PvP template.

1. How will you deal with being dismounted?

2. How will you deal with para spam?

Vandariel

Vandariel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thx again Farsight! And good questions Jimmy!

Well, para spam I'll deal with trapboxes and high resist (120) but about dismmount I can't answer u and that's why Im afraid of and why I had ninjutso on my build before.

What should I do?

I know that with archer, if I felt from my horse, I'm pretty much done. The only thing that I can think about it is: dismmount my opponet first.. and pray to be fighting against only one...
But, well.... any suggestions?

Thanks again guys!

Should I lower heal to 80's, bushido to 100 and instead of 70 chivalry, go 100 100 ninjitsu??
That's the only way I can think right now...

liquidsmoke

liquidsmoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
The second option you have is what is called an ABC archer, it's decent in pvp and good pvm sorta of a hybrid in terms of pvp/pvm abilities. I do not care for it since the pvp aspect is so dependant on critical strikes from bushido. You need a super fast magical shortbow and you just lightning strike non stop, hoping for a few crits. I think bushido on an archer is a bit of a waste, but thats my opinion, it has perks for pvm, you can honor and momentum strike when grouped, but overall I think your wasting 120 points for pvp.

As for the poisoning ninja it's a cool temp but rather difficult to play. "Classic" assassin in my opinion, I have one but it is more for roleplay and fun. Hardest thing, aside from the 8 skill temp, is sneaking up on people.

The best poison temp for a warrior in the game is a 6x120 build with poison on it. Hard to do because of the skills, but with nice jewels it is a beast. Also the potions people carry are not such a big deal anymore, the increased weights mean people carry less and when you start chucking shatter potions they run out quickly. If you ask me there are only a few dexxer temps worth playing right now, and that is one of them. It has flaws but if you run into someone without potions they WILL die.

Anyway as for your archer build, I think a ninja fencer archer is the best overall pure pvp temp right now. ABC is a solid "hybrid" pvp/pvmer.

I don't worry an awful lot about dismounts, faction horses are amazing in that regard, but it is something to consider espeically if you pvp solo. 100% chance to get into llama form is 107.5 skill. So if you are going to use ninja for forms you want to consider that. 80-90 skill should be sufficient but I have killed guys who have failed a few times to form. But on a tight temp it could be worthwhile.

Vandariel

Vandariel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thx for the repply liquid. Im kind of confuse about the ninjitstu. Worth to have it without hid/stealth?? I was training it but really, 80% of the skills requires stealth mode, so without hid/stealth there is any othere use for Ninjutso for non hid/stealth players?

And why is a good Idea to have 2 combat skills (arch/fenc)?

Ty!

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Ninja is good for two things:
1. Using mirror images when dismounted to avoid the archer-ganks
2. Using animal forms when dismounted (specifically llama) to run away at mounted speeds

And 3. It gets your skills to 300 points for a hefty discount on mana costs for special moves. But you can do that with bushido or parry as well... so maybe not so much.

Fencing and archery:
1. Fencing has disarm and bleed on one weapon (the war fork). With an archer, you can do neither.
2. Archery has moving shot and hits from a distance, which fencing can't do.

A combination of that 1, 2 punch makes you a pretty powerful character, even if you don't know what the heck you're doing. And it's great in duels or groups.
Posted Image

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
i am working on this template

Archery
Healing
Tact
Anatomy
mystic
focus
chiv

i am just trying to figure out what levels to have them at, but put simply you can get alot of DI from it and also with close wounds, bandages and if the bow is balanced then healing stone will mean it will be quite hard to kill

and it should work very well in pvm with a RC roaming around

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

shinners

shinners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
When i came back a few weeks ago i wanted to test the pvm aspect, just cause i never did back in the..I was all pvp back then and when bushido came out i jumped up and did the archer bushido and going for it again cause i hate pvm lol..

this is the temp im working toward:

120 bushido
120 archery
100 anatomy
120 tactics
70-80 chiv
120 resist

and rest of point either med or focus or just throw it down on anatomy or chiv "shrugs"

what you think?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I think that, mathematically, bushido is more mana intensive than armor ignore for damage dealing (recent patch doubled the mana cost from lightning strike), close wounds is more reliable for healing than confidence, and as a PvP archer, perfection doesn't matter to you one bit.

In other words, if you want to PvP as an archer, bushido is more of a crutch than a benifit.

If you go ninjitsu, you get mirror images to make it tough for the melee/archer types to kill you. If you go with meditation, you have mana to use your specials, and if you go with mysticism/focus, you get a lot of extra tools to help you along your way. If you go with swords, you can disarm or use faster swings to interrupt mages. If you keep bushido and go swords, you also have bokuto.

In any case, you also want to have more chivalry as well. Another recent patch made more chivalry practical.
Posted Image

shinners

shinners

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
i ended up taking some of ur advice and soulstoned bushido, and now im working with

120 Ninjitsu
120 archery
120 fencing
120 resist
100 tactics
100 hiding

maybe ill throw tactics up to 120 and put the rest in tracking for the extra DS dmg

jan333

jan333

Thread An Corp Oscar Winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
archery:120
tacs:120
anatomy:120
focus:120
chivalry:120 but will be stopped at 115 since u dont fail any spells at that cap
resist:120

is this any good pvm or/and pvp ?
i dident play for years so so much changed that i had to ask :)

greetings

jan

Hinreissend

Hinreissend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

focus:120

is this any good pvm or/and pvp ?

I am not sure about resist, but in most circumstances I don't think you will benefit much from Focus. You will benefit more from Bushido and healing IMHO. For a lot of encounters in PvM you will be somewhat efficient enough, I guess. Are you planning to have lots of FC and FCR? So you can heal properly through Close Wounds? Apart from that you could probably go with lower anatomy and lower chivalry, no Focus so you can still stick with resist but also add Bushido and / or healing. Maybe with the help of skill jewelry.

You are very near the ABC that has been mentioned in several threads, like this recent one:
http://www.uoforums....html#post604806

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Without healing on this temp your dead in the water.

jan333

jan333

Thread An Corp Oscar Winner 2012

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Without healing on this temp your dead in the water.

ok i took focus out and went for healing i just go to luna bank lots of people
an do holy sacrifice or what is called then i can heal him up with bandies :)

bushidi i dont like i dont see what i can get out of that or maybe its because i ignore the advantages hehe

greetings

jan