Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mining 101

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ragamoose

Ragamoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi I'm new to the forums and the game really.

Working on GM Mining and Blacksmithy and I have a question.

My mining skill is 95 and I still have not dug anything up besides iron ore.
Why is that?! I use to watch my brother play like 10 years ago and (In the same location) pull up colored ore.

I've been mining Minoc in Fel on Pacific.

Also, I'm on the 14 day free trial so I'm not sure if that's why?

Any help would be great!
Thanks!

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Well some veins only have iron ore, but if you've been moving around to different mining spots you should be hitting veins that can bring up other ore. If you use a prospectors tool, then you can make ore of one rank higher available. Which would mean that if you were indeed mining at a spot that only had iron ore, it would make dull copper available (but still bring up plain iron ore too).

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Yes, the trial account is why. Trial accounts can only harvest basic iron or regular wood. In the past scripters were using them to mine for resources with risking their main accounts. Thus you can blame them for this.

Welcome to UO and Pacific, by the way. Is there anything you need to help get you settled in?

Ragamoose

Ragamoose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Yes, the trial account is why. Trial accounts can only harvest basic iron or regular wood. In the past scripters were using them to mine for resources with risking their main accounts. Thus you can blame them for this.

Welcome to UO and Pacific, by the way. Is there anything you need to help get you settled in?

You're the man!
thanks for the great answer, i didn't even think about the whole scripters thing.
I don't have any questions at the moment, but I sure know where to come when i do!
Thanks so much!

tayo

tayo

Badger Badger Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
Since we're in the same vein as mining, it might also be of use to know that the way you get special color ore from mining has changed too! You mentioned that you were mining on a spot that used to give your friend color ore, that method of mining has since been removed.

When your trial has expired, you'll notice that special color ore will be random from vein to vein. You might also find that there are still some veins that hold that color for 1-2 days, yet others quickly change color.

Once you hit 100 mining or 100 lumberjacking, you then gain the ability to harvest rare ingredients-perfect emeralds and turquoise sell very well for example-so long as you have the Stygian Abyss expansion.

I mainly play crafters, and have enjoyed the introduction of imbuing. It's made mining and lumberjacking worthwhile again!

Etoh

Etoh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Since we're in the same vein as mining, it might also be of use to know that the way you get special color ore from mining has changed too! You mentioned that you were mining on a spot that used to give your friend color ore, that method of mining has since been removed.

When your trial has expired, you'll notice that special color ore will be random from vein to vein. You might also find that there are still some veins that hold that color for 1-2 days, yet others quickly change color.

Once you hit 100 mining or 100 lumberjacking, you then gain the ability to harvest rare ingredients-perfect emeralds and turquoise sell very well for example-so long as you have the Stygian Abyss expansion.

I mainly play crafters, and have enjoyed the introduction of imbuing. It's made mining and lumberjacking worthwhile again!

hi i'm new too! just playing also using 14-day SA trial client right now. i also like crafting in UO, and then selling things!

my question is, does that mean getting colored ore is much harder now, since the colored ore veins appears randomly and never stay in one location permanently like it used to?

Uriel

Uriel

Sanity is for the Weak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Not really the veins change every few days but respawn themselves every like 15 minutes after depletion so say you were to find a valorite vein you could just mark the spot and come back every about 15 minutes and deplete it again also note the mining works in areas and not targets so groupings of tiles are connected and will give the same ores/granite from the same pool.
Posted Image