Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Worst loss of a rare ever?

- - - - - loss rare worst

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Terrance

Terrance

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
This is always a "fun" topic. *chuckles*
What has been your worst loss or blunder as far as rares go? Did you feed that bunch of dates to your packy during a move? Did you eat that fruitbasket? Did you have everything on display in your home the day lockdowns were put into the game?

For me, it would have to be the two original house placement deeds I bought last year...

For some time now, I've been collecting the old house placement deeds. I managed to buy both a castle and a keep deed early on, but lacked the large tower to complete the "big three" set. I finally found one for sale along with a villa placement deed which I also needed. Paid 1.4 or 1.7 million for the pair, I think.

Was taking them back to my tower after just purchasing them...and lost connection with them in my pack. Logged back in to see "Your deed for a large stone tower has been converted into a house placement tool, the value of the deed is now in your bankbox." They both turned into house placement tools, and the current placement value for each was added to my bank box.

So anymore, the deeds never go into my pack anymore. I lock the doors and drag them on the floor, or I use a packy. *sighs*

"It isn't over. Your footprints will never fade from Britannia. You shaped
a world of rich treasures and virtuous character. Children who idolized
you have grown into men and women who seek to walk your path.
That's your legacy, Lord British. It's a marvelous thing."

Snowy

Snowy

Pretty Nice Disguise, isn't it?

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
The only one that comes to mind for me right off the bat is a bottle of Pink Champagne. I had it in a secure container and my youngest son was looking around my house while I was visiting the 'facilities'. He doesn't play UO, so was a complete illiterate so to speak. He found it and drank it... just as I got back, he finished it off.... :embarasse I didn't shoot him, but I did explain that it was a tiny bit costly to just up and drink. His response was pretty much, well you shouldn't leave it laying around. Yeah... like I usually have newbies wandering around my house looking in my secures. At least he didn't eat the cheese slice and donuts too, but they might have been next on his list. :laugh:

~

"It's definitely a Bubble Bath Day.". ~ Dove Promise

~

Minotaur2k

Minotaur2k

Meow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
Can't think of a single thing.......I am normally extremely careful with my rares.
There are no stupid questions......only stupid people!

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
You'd think having them in a secure would be 'pretty careful' though, wouldn't you? Now I log out if some newbie type family member is near the computer when I wander away!

~

~

Gwenyth

Gwenyth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
Ah yes, the eaten fruitbasket got me not once, but twice! It was many years ago and I guess I hung out with too many newbs cause they kept eating the fruit I had sitting out on the table! The other one that comes to mind is a bottle of eggnog and a bunch of dates that were eaten out of an old Christmas bag. Again, a friend saw them in one of my secures and thought nothing about helping himself to alittle holiday cheer :(
Posted Image

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
The worst for me was a pair of sandals I had. They were the old school silver sandals, blessed before personal bless deeds were added. I was taking them off to show them to someone in a trade window, and lost connection as I was dragging them. They dropped to the ground, and needless to say, by the time I could log back in, they were gone. :(

Ama

Ama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I accidently deleted a char with dyeable AoS sandies on ;]
Stripped her bank, and her backpack, and even took her lrc suit off. Alass, missed the most expenive thing on her!
Posted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
I know it isnt necessarily a rare, but I bought a breath of the dead one day. It was my first doom arty I ever owned, well I went into fel to play around, and saw that it was insured, well a bud of mine had a pack of bears, and wanted to see how they fought together, when I was fighting them, some assclown came in and ganked me cause I was grey. He killed me, and when I died, he said, "hey its like doom, I just got an arty for killing you" I realized that the insurance from the previous owner did not hold, and I had just lost a 1m sword.. I have tried for months to get it back, but he says he lost it. That was by far my most expensive death..

SoccerMom

SoccerMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Same thing happened to me that happened to Adri. When I first started I had a special dye tub and went to show one of my friends that I finally got one. I lost connection and he couldn't grab it for me in time. Some other guy got it and laughed at me when I logged back in.

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
:laugh: :laugh: Love the idiots who think they are gaining status by not returning what they KNOW belongs to someone else. It wasn't a rare, only my runebook, but it was dyed and named for my character. Some moron decided it was worth keeping even though it was plain old runebook with towns in it, because I was trusting enough to set it down for him to use. Green and gullible... lost me that one. I was heartbroken at the way they teased me over it and was ready to stop playing altogether. I figured I play for relaxation and that sure as heck wasn't relaxing. Fortunately, I got over it. The desire to quit.. not the runebook thing...
I am still mad about that. >:( :laugh:

~

~

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Bet I can top everyone:'(
Well I had a 18 x 18 that I had let the account go inactive and thought I would activate it before the 90 days was up but I forgot to activate it and somehow missed that the house was condemned. This house was full of rares. Roses, tubs, all my good bods, quite an extensivecollection of the mystic and vanq swords from the brit invasion. God only knows what else. But needless to say I was sick for a week and cried the first night I found out the house fell. We bought the plot back but didnt get any of the stuff back:(
I am still looking for some of the mystic and vanq weps but u know I never see any for sale anywhere

Kreegan

Kreegan

Proud Member Of...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
Worst I've lost was a full Ossian Grimoire...an expensive lesson to say the least.

Snowy

Snowy

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
OUCH Kevin. :'( I think maybe you do win the 'booby prize'. That was a rough one! Bet you pay attention to that stuff now!

~

~

Keven1

Keven1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

OUCH Kevin. :'( I think maybe you do win the 'booby prize'. That was a rough one! Bet you pay attention to that stuff now!

Yep
As we call it in our guild the Goober prize:shocked:

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

I am still looking for some of the mystic and vanq weps but u know I never see any for sale anywhere

S9ome one may have them just sat in their own homes you never know .

Worst two things I ever lost,were the usual fruit basket.
I was in a hurry ,rushed to my house,was frantically looking through chests.
I was double clicking some baskets and before I could stop my self,yes . i ate the fruit.That was the most expensive fruit I have eaten :)

The second was even worse.I purchased a gift for an IG freind.It was 2 mill but it was so appropriate for that person, i just HAD to have it for them.

I purchased it from a rares dealer,though I must say I was dissapointed in its overall appearance.
It was very small. but at least I had it .

I giulded a crafter who was going to make all our armour etc and friended him so he coulkd access the chests.It was a good friend of mine so I was not concerned anytthing would be taken .

He asked if I minded he had a look through my chests to see what I had.I said no of course not.knowing how nosey he was ,*grins*

To my horror he messaged me some time later to say he had eaten some thing in error but didnt realise what it was.He didnt even know it was an item of food.Being Finnish he hadnt heard of the item before.

He had clicked on and eaten a piece of 'Spam' wich had cost me 2 mill. although he did insist I took the gold to buy another gift :grin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

S9ome one may have them just sat in their own homes you never know .

Worst two things I ever lost,were the usual fruit basket.
I was in a hurry ,rushed to my house,was frantically looking through chests.
I was double clicking some baskets and before I could stop my self,yes . i ate the fruit.That was the most expensive fruit I have eaten :)

The second was even worse.I purchased a gift for an IG freind.It was 2 mill but it was so appropriate for that person, i just HAD to have it for them.

I purchased it from a rares dealer,though I must say I was dissapointed in its overall appearance.
It was very small. but at least I had it .

I giulded a crafter who was going to make all our armour etc and friended him so he coulkd access the chests.It was a good friend of mine so I was not concerned anytthing would be taken .

He asked if I minded he had a look through my chests to see what I had.I said no of course not.knowing how nosey he was ,*grins*

To my horror he messaged me some time later to say he had eaten some thing in error but didnt realise what it was.He didnt even know it was an item of food.Being Finnish he hadnt heard of the item before.

He had clicked on and eaten a piece of 'Spam' wich had cost me 2 mill. although he did insist I took the gold to buy another gift :grin:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

killdigdiecat

killdigdiecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Bet I can top everyone:'(

I'm trying to sell a couple power and vanquishing weps on my vendor right now for 7k and 11k but noone wants them. And I have a chest of close to 100, if your on Napa i'll give you afew.

Tukaram

Tukaram

Old & grouchy

• Members
  • 1,025 posts
Mine was during the week of AOS launch. I got a bigger house in Malas and was moving fom my 7x7 Tram. The server went down and my son and I, and both our beetles full of stuff, were out there somewhere. Who knows how long the server was down but the next day when I finally got back in we were all dead and gone.

The beetles had a couple chest of rares on them. I really don't know what all we lost but the main things to me were the Large Tree and the Stack of Hay. I had them in my backpack. The hay was easily replaced (and cheap) but the large tree took me forever to find an affordable replacement. (with everyone I know quitting I have at least 3 now :) )

Tuka :cool:

Posted Image

Kinsmen are born. Friendship is a gift of the gods.

Kreegan

Kreegan

Proud Member Of...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm looking for a few event items right now and the prices are outrageous.

HarvestGod

HarvestGod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
Losing rares seems to be what i'm good at! heres a list of just SOME of the things i've lost.

serpants fang - got killed and then drobed.. guess what no auto renew.
serpants fang #2 - got scammed with some weird thing that made my fang drop to the ground and the guy picked it up lol..
gloves of the pugilist - partied someone and well i died.. and i had looting on.
My vendor filled with rares - this one is recent, i took money off my vendor and forgot to put some back and it decayed... lost probaly a good 7-8 mil worth in artys, rares, vet rewards, and loot.

i know theres a lot more but unfortunatly those are locked in a dark place in my mind but despite all the loss i've also had some very good luck in my adventures.

A house dropped next to my house.. when it droped it allowed me to place a stone keep AND one bag droped to the ground containing.
Jackals collar
hunters head dress
rune beetle carpice
gloves of the sun
gloves of the pugilist
leggings of ember
and i think a heart of the lion

that was probably the best UO day of my life!

but yeah i used to get scammed a lot.. i was a stupid newbie but ya know you learn from your mistakes and even though it took a lot of mistakes i am very careful with my stuff now. except my vendor... doh! ohh well. stuff happens.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: loss, rare, worst