Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

sampire throwing question

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

adamx

adamx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
i dont know if i should have posted this in the sampire thread in the template section but this is kind of a more specific question about the throwing skill so sorry if its in the wrong place.

i am just wondering if anyone else runs a successfull throwing sampire?

i wanted to try it out after reading about the template in the other thread, but i am having some issues with him being quite weak and not sure what i'm doing wrong.

currently my skills are as follows

100.8 throwing
100 necro
~81 anatomy
~90 tactics
~94 bushido
100 resisting spells
~63 chivalry

110 STR 90 DEX 25 INT

my gear is getting to be decent, i have a couple good pieces like resilient bracer, wardens armor of augmentation, and dragon jade earrings. the rest is a temporary set crafted with valorite and verite runic hammers, and while not imbued to the most optimum setup, most of the bonuses that came out are good for the build with lots of mana regen, lower mana cost, stats, and mostly maxed resists (max physical and fire even in vamp form)

The problem i am having is with throwing, i can do pretty decent damage, especially after perfection builds up, but it really doesnt seem to keep my health up. I have a very hard time against anything that has strong damaging spells. and of course anything that gets in melee range i have trouble hitting because of the way throwing works. if i try and go toe to toe with something, or a paragon, for example, i have to run away several times to heal usually because i cant hit it.

i've experimented with a variety of weapons, fast, slow, in between, most of the ones i use have high percentages of mana leech, life leech, and then usually lower defense, lower attack, or swing speed. I never have a problem with mana, only with keeping my health up.

as an example, i have a basic paladin warrior with macing, tactics, anatomy, healing, parry, chivalry, and focus. He has a good weapon but mediocre armor and can beat down a dragon in destard pretty easily, while my sampire has an incredibly difficult time with them.

I read in the other thread that chivalry should be mainly used as an emergency heal or healing after the fight is over, however i am finding that too often it is my primary means of healing.

my tactics are usually honor, fury, consecrate, lightning strike, chiv heal as needed, all while kiting around and trying not to get in melee range of anything.

does anyone else have similar problems, or does anyone see something that i'm doing blatantly wrong? any suggestions would be appreciated, because right now i'm strongly considering switching to a melee skill and giving up on throwing.

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
Well ill go into a larger reply later but i use a wraith form thrower that does great using healing. Am able to solo quite a few Abyss bosses like Sty dragon. Id stick to a Soul glaive for the armor ignore for the huge damage from that.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
My goal:
120 throwing
100 tactics
100 anatomy
120 bushido
100 spirit speak
100 necromancy
80 chivalry

I haven't finished yet, but with an exceptional (non imbued, non runic) suit of armor and a valkyrie's glaive, I've managed to solo every one of the Abyss mini-spawns with no trouble at all (except the rat-spawn. That's just dull. I'll hit that with my lumberjack-non sampire when I feel the need for those ingredients).

Once I'm done farming spawns, I'll get an imbued suit and a few imbued weapons and hit the peerless circuit to see how I do.

The armor ignore and wraith form with the soul glaive are incredible! Couple that with 50% life leech from curse weapon and you have a nearly invulnerable killing machine.
Posted Image

adamx

adamx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
so i should be using wraith form and curse weapon instead of vamp form then?

i could try that i guess, spirit speak is not all that hard to raise.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
And you don't even have to raise it very high.

Try buying it at first and seeing if 40 points makes a difference... That'll at least tell you if its worth training.
Posted Image

adamx

adamx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
so question then, if you use wraith form instead of vampire, why do you bother having necro at 100? just to be able to use the other spells like wither?

i appreciate your input farsight it was your threads that inspired me to try this out

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I actually use both wraith and vamp form. You can't kill Putrefier (or other baddies with "running" speed) with a wraith, and sometimes I just want to stand and throw rather than cast curse weapon over and over again.

90% of the time, wraith form is satisfactory though, and you could easily just go without so much necromancy.
Posted Image

adamx

adamx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
i bought 40 spirit speak last night to try it out and it made a world of difference

i'm not sure if i was just doing something wrong with vamp form but while in vamp i would usually not even be able to notice my health bar going up after a hit.

with curse weapon running my health bar jumps up in big chunks. i was able to pretty much go toe to toe with regular dragons one after the other in destard last night without going much below full health, where in vamp form previously i had to spend 3-5 minutes per dragon because i would constantly be running away to heal up.