I was never able to recover KT from the past intern-problems that were created, with several other competing knights guild (OSS, S^D, KoV, KH, DoTs paladins) on the "guild market" the recruitment never got back on track. Now I believe there's only a few remaining active knight guilds left of above mentioned.

I used to have the energy to continue the process eitherway, both regarding recruiting and guild management, but after this:

http://www.uoforums.com/knights-templar/81709-ooc-notice-all-brethren.html

I just can't find the motivation anymore. My father is as healthy as ever now though. Yet my motivation for continuing KT have not improved.

The merge with Trinsic was an attempt to get more activity and offer more activity to the players in both KT and DoT. But I can't say the result have been what I hoped for.

Beaufort still stands and will continue to stand, but parts of Templewood have fallen. Jesaya/Jalai is still very active and keeping herself busy within the Wild Mare tavern of Templewood.

Talking with Falcon (who's currently more focused on RL) we both agreed to put KT on ice untill someone else comes along with the motivation and energy to reboot it.

All the documents and guild material is saved on a backup of mine, and anyone who would want to try and restart it would be given mine and Falcons full support/blessings to do so.

The Township of Templewood is still open to people that wishes to roleplay simple citizens. Yet the fight for making Templewood independant from Yew is pretty much non-existant, as there's none to fight for it. The plague have also taken a few casualties, more on this will be added in one last story entry from Gendin.

To those KTers returning or thinking about returning I can only say this:

There won't be many of us left. And we're not an active guild. Unless you wish to put effort into KT to see it rise again, I'd advice to join other knightly guilds. Atm I believe it's S^D that's most active. But they share a bit different idelogy than us. Then there's the DoT Paladins as well.

All in all I personally believe that there's little space in the RP-community for knightly RP, much because (as been discussed before) the "good vs. evil" rp have significantly been reduced due to a lack of evil guilds, along with any bigger conflicts. Knights also have little to do on ships, which seems to be the main focus for many guilds nowdays. But that's my own personal view, and also a reason I've moved on to guilds where RP more fitting to todays community can be created. Which is something I'd advice others to do as well.

My short update to your request Feren would be: "Reiver's right."

But I think I owe you and others a bit more than that :)

This truly rests heavy on my heart. The Templars were the first guild to ask me to join thier fold since I started to play back at the start of the AOS. It was truly an honor to play this game with each and every one of you and God willing I will get myself back on my feet and usher in a new age of the Templars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ferenhelm,nice to see you around on the forums again.KT was also my first guild and I was never been in as good a guild again. I met some of the best people [ and some of the worst] during my time with KT.

I mentioned in another thread to Katrina Evablade,we should meet up during a free week.

I reckon we should get as many old time UO'ers back in during a free week, make a guild called The Retrobates and go cause some havoc around Vesper and trinsic,and show these young pups what UO was like back in the day,lol.

:wave: to Gendin and Markus xx

• 3 weeks later...
I am crashing this thread to agree with Tabbs. I would love to see what this game has been upto for the last few years, particularly its players.

The Fireside Table involves many things thats happened in the community :) if you can be arsed to read through all of it.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have to admit I am too lazy to read everything there though. I can recall that, around the time that I left, the first "According to Vierna" had only just reached its second page. The knowledge that, somewhere in the archives, is probably a whole babble thread filled with Drow stories with a second thread well on its way.. *shudders* Just not my taste, regardless of how good the rp is. Besides, I was always more of a Morning Poste reader, and it seems they stopped with that years ago :( Suppose that was simply due to a lack of authors, as I can recall that particularly Seriya did tons for it, along with Sally, Cal, Muldran, Tabbs and Irvyn (in no particular order) and that Seriya left shortly after the Cloaks collapsed. Damn shame. She was always a blast to roleplay with.

There is nothing being reported on because there is nothing being done worthy of reporting. The community is almost dead.

I've logged on at prime time numerous times lately and been able to go to every, single hotspot on the server and see nobody online.

This isn't a criticism of anyone or their guilds and I'm sorry if this is considered a bad advert for the community but I'm just being honest. UO has suffered a natural decline and the current, predictable, pre-summer slump has almost rendered us incapacitated.

All it takes is people like Bladius or Rebecca to go "AFK" for a week or two with IRL issues and their respective portions of the community literally drop off the face of the Earth. (Again, by no means a criticism of those individuals - they're entitled to a life - just illustrating how dependent the ENTIRE community has become on purely one or two people. Way more than ever before.)

theres allways trinsic on a tuesday, the battle market usually draws a fair few in, an not all from one place. but i will admit day to day activity isn't what it once was, but thats how things tend to go.

you've just gotta go out there and make things happen.

Not really possible when there's literally nobody to be found to make things happen with.

I'm a big, big advocate of "don't moan about it, go and do it!" But even I have to admit that, to be fair, the game is on it's last legs.

We should all be amazingly impressed and fairly thankful that it's lasted as long as it has, but you'd have to be hugely in denial to think that in it's current state it's really that appealing to any but the most hardcore of committed roleplayers.

In fact I'd go so far as to say that the longer people remain in denial about the need for a drastic shake-up, the more potential damage is done in the long term.

i don't think the game is on its last legs at all... as i am always bumping into people no matter in what enviroment i happen to be playing in at the time, and Reann can back me up on that :P

This evening, during prime time, there were about four members of the Guardsmen Militia online (who went offline almost immediately following a pre-arranged event that ran about an hour,) one Orc (apparently) and a small handful of DoT who also slowly trickled offline after their pre-arranged event had ended.

Cove and Vesper were empty.

Any other time of the day I can take the same route around major hotspots and find, literally, nobody.

I think some people feel the need to defend what's left of our community out of principal because they think I'm making an attack of some sort, I'm not, I'm still "active," my account is still paid for and I'm still interested in playing the game. I'm just being honest about what I see, which isn't a great deal.

As I say, there's really no point being delusional about it because ultimately just sticking our heads in the sand is counter-productive.

well i when i mention bumping into people i don't tend to stick with like the small small small portion that rp, when the duke went offline i promptly logged my chara to log in another in which me and one other friend then went and raided coon in dsp against a guild that had 7 people doing it, needless to say me and my friend won the spawn, then got raided ourselves by what seemed to be an allince of other guilds, and you know what there was 26 people in that one area, and that was like it is like in spawn areas, unlike most rp'ers i don't restrict myself just to trammel and rp, i actually do everything i can in the game, be it on my own 93% of the time

Ive been following this thread since Sheila crashed it a dozen posts ago. Ive wanted to say something on the forums but wasnt sure where yet, and the last few replies here make this as good a place as any.

I think the amount of bad/evil players and guilds have always been less numerous than their good counterparts. While this hasnt been a problem in the past, I think in the current climate the seriously low number of players makes this more of an issue. I have been playing every evening, and theres quite a few things going on in the community. But roleplaying an orc these are then obviously off limits to me. Other non-good players probrably have this problem too, some more than others. Even most EM events are off limits.

Im gonna stick with it and just hope we get a few more new orcs in the coming weeks/months. I made a post somewhere else about interaction with other guilds. I have been talking with a few other GMS and hopefully Orc will be getting involved with a few things soon :)

I think this will be a vital key in whether we succeed or not. I think this probably applies to the bigger picture as well. We all need to make sure we all interact as much as possible. There are still enough of us, just spread out a bit.

There are still enough of us, just spread out a bit.

Which I believe is where the problem comes from. When the community started to diminish, the area of RP should have gotten smaller to fit the amount of RPers. Instead people kept on to what they've been doing for years (rightly so I guess) and stuck to the places they started off in.

I know I know... "centralize RP" whatever, will never work. And we've had enough discussions about it. We all know what needs to be done but people are too stubborn, have too much history tied to their places. Or simply despite eachother OOC in order for it to work.

Hence why I find it easier to play single player games thesedays, as you just have to click "New game".

As Shali mentions if nothing is done this IS going to be the the end of it in the long run. Just with people would be more realisitic.

I meant RP and RP alone, yes. A lot of people - myself included - have gone a decade not knowing their HCI from their LRC. I don't play UO, I don't care about UO, I play Europa RP.

As for the two of you (Harbag and Nathaniel) I've made posts relating to both your points numerous times before and made my views are fairly well known.

To Harbag, I'll quote myself from elsewhere to save me the effort - pardon my laziness:

That's the correct answer' date=' really, and it's the flaw with everything that exists in UO at present. I am willing to go on record and say that there will, very likely, never be a major evil force in Europa RP ever, ever again.

That's not to say that Sineal is wrong and that the likes of UD and Tgl didn't have qualities beyond that that made them more successful than some modern era "bad guys" (qualities that could be imitated by the right sort of leader) but ultimately it's the size of the player base that sees you make it or not.

The biggest problem I had running Thf (in every incarnation, from 2004 to 2010) was entertaining ourselves when nobody else wants to be involved. That's key. The major difference between an evil guild and a good guild is that an evil guild, generally speaking, can't just roll into Stonekeep or Trinsic and enjoy some casual roleplay without a pretty hefty disguise and even then there tends to be someone about to ruin it.

To be successful, an evil guild [i']must[/i] be self-sustaining. And to be self-sustaining you either need a small, core collection of very dedicated players (which I was lucky to have at Thf's peak, at the dawn of collaboration between Grd & Thf, as ex-CoY, and CoRE) who are happy to roleplay privately amongst themselves or you're going to need to be big.

Vierna is another lucky enough to have that small and dedicated group of players, happy to be isolated and individualist and that's how she's managed to keep herself entertained as long as she has - which is to her credit. But unfortunately the lack of size that's them symptomatic of that prevents her being a major player unless she gets good co-opperation from other people with story lines and the like, people willing to overlook her lack of PvP capacity and just RP along to a proposed threat.

To Nathaniel, centralization will work and is inevitable, when there's only two or three players left on the server do you think they're going to stay put in three corners of the world, roleplaying alone?

Centralization will happen, it's the natural conclusion of our community and I've said this in every, single one of the million and five debates we've had on the issue. What I've also said, and the reason I'm dismissive of these debates now'days, is that realistically everything that is going to be said in the public domain HAS been said. What either needs to happen is a mass outcry from the playerbase for reform, or for the GM community to take the issue up properly on the private GM forums and actually run with it, instead of thread no' 3802538 turning in to "it'll work," "but we don't want to move!" "But it'll work!" "BUT WE DON'T WANT TO MOVE!"

There are still enough of us, just spread out a bit.

When I said that I wasn't referring to that in a bad way. What I was trying to stress was us all interacting together even though we are smaller and spread out more at the moment.

I don't mind the long journeys as much now. I have myself a nice new Chikun now :doggy: Im getting too old to run everywhere now.

Agreed on the mounts thing. Even my serf had an ethy because, tbh, if you really want to go somewhere quickly OOCly, running just isn't an option. *hopes Sally doesn't read this* But Shali, you have me intrigued about your ideas of centralizing RP. What would you have in mind? A sort of Deepwater to unite all roleplayers in? Or a natural disaster striking the odd ones out (such as DOT) and forcing them more northwards to make interactions easier?

Shali, you have me intrigued about your ideas of centralizing RP. What would you have in mind? A sort of Deepwater to unite all roleplayers in? Or a natural disaster striking the odd ones out (such as DOT) and forcing them more northwards to make interactions easier?

I'm not ultimately saying I do have ideas or that the concept of centralization is anything like my own. As I said, I'm not even actively in favour of discussing it any more in the public domain all that much because it's all rather redundant without the participation of the people who ultimately get the buck passed to them by the wider community (essentially, the GMs.)

What I do feel though is that the pros and cons are almost entirely OOC and that anyone that claims IC realism or believability are genuine stumbling blocks is stalling because they feel silly for admitting that they're just too attached to their current guild's "natural" home to ever consider moving.

The context is largely irrelevant at the end of the day, any contrived or seemingly cliché event (and global doomsday is, as you say, certainly an easy one) would suffice. We're deluding ourselves if we really believe that we're a never-emptying font of creative inspiration. Most of what we roleplay is contrived on some level, imitated from popular culture or fiction and largely stolen from elsewhere. What's important is whether or not we're willing to get behind it and let it stimulate good roleplay.

Where there's an OOC willingness there's flexibility. All I'm saying is that eventually there will come a time when the desire to simply have someone to roleplay with will outweigh any allegiances to tradition or our benign little guild and character histories. Ultimately, a lesser, more subtle form of centralization has been happening permanently for years; guild hopping. People already gravitate towards the most populated and active roleplaying hotspots, moving their characters (or themselves with new toons) from guild to guild to find the roleplay - a perfect example being the fact Cove and Vesper have ultimately had about a 70% shared playerbase for about four years, drifting back and forth from one settlement to the other dependent on whether the Swaggers or the Goblin more frequently offers service and entertainment.

Eventually there'll come a time when the remaining guildmasters join in this strong desire to play more regularly with the wider community (because those they're content playing with now quit and move away) but will lack the desire to actually join another guild. That's how it'll start.

At the end of the day we pay our subscriptions to roleplay - not to sit around waiting for people we like to log on.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey mate, Gendin here. Just wanna say that KT have pretty much dissolved. I'm also afraid to say that I think most of Templewood have fallen. I doubt I'll be returning to UO. However, I might try the concept of KT in another game. Once I find a game to be Roleplayer friendly enough.

• 3 years later...