Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Old School Shard

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

swords79

swords79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
How About a old school shard on UO? There Could be 2 of them. 1 old school test shard. Another old school real shard. I know many pvpers these days want to go back to the 1990's days. Also if this where to happen it should be able to run with UOassist? just my thoughts :)

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
There are numerous threads on all aspects of this here and over on Stratics. Last I heard, Cal was going to address some portion of this in there next Dev Video, due out....sometime soon :-P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

swords79

swords79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I personally think this would bring alot of people back to UO. Bring back some of the old pvpers and UO would be 1 of the top again. [and pass WoW :D]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I doubt anyone will pass WoW for the next 3-5 years. Also, what is not old school about Siege Perilous shard?

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Also, what is not old school about Siege Perilous shard?

take cover everyone :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
These posts pop up frequently, my recurring question tends to draw them to conclusion.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

GregorLassant

GregorLassant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

How About a old school shard on UO? There Could be 2 of them. 1 old school test shard. Another old school real shard. I know many pvpers these days want to go back to the 1990's days. Also if this where to happen it should be able to run with UOassist? just my thoughts :)

As a long time UO player, since 98 in fact, I just don't see the appeal of a "classic" shard. For one thing, how do you define what you want it to be? I would be willing to bet that everyone has some differences in opinion as to what they want. Do you mean pre-AoS? Pre UOR? If you were to have, say, a pre-UOR server, would it just be the pre-UOR ruleset or would you only have the pre-UOR facets ( In other words, Fel and Lost Lands ). What about skills? Do you want to change the skills back to where they were, or leave it the same with just a Fel ruleset? To give a good example, in my ideal world, the game would be just as it is now, except without quests and some other ML stuff. I frankly think that defined quests that aren't live events have no place in UO. However, I can't expect EA to open a shard just for my preferences. I'm sure some people enjoy those quests very much.

I wonder, and I'm not accusing the OP of this, if some of the desire for a classic shard comes not from an actual preference to how it really was, but rather a nostalgia for an experience that was as much a product of the time as it was the game. I'm willing to bet that most of the clamoring for a classic shard is nostalgia driven.

For those who don't PvP, really think about it. Do you really want a Fel only shard? I hear a surprising number of people claim that, but I think it is pretty clear on even a cursory examination that the players as a whole voted with their feet when UOR came out, and moved to Tram. The UO team has apparently stated that the majority of players don't go to Fel, ever. Factions never was immensely popular, probably because UO is just not designed like DAoC.

For PvP, do you really want to go back to a game as one dimensional as UO was at one time? Back in "the day", were there really any options if you wanted a powerful character? Who wasn't a 4xGM with magery and tactics? Sure, you could pick a bunch of assorted skills that matched a character you had in mind, but you'd have to be entirely motivated by roleplaying. Sure, you could be whatever you wanted to be in UO, if you wanted to suck. At least until meditation came out and eval int. was changed, I *always* felt like I was making a compromise between being effective and creating the character I wanted.

Using "the 90's" as a marker for our "classic" cut off, is there really nothing that was added that was worthwhile? Lets see; There will be no house lockdowns, so anyone can come in and rearrange your stuff or just take it, unless you're fortunate enough to get "blessed" by a GM. Obviously you can be ganked pretty much anywhere you go by someone who is more powerful than you because they chose to maximize their ability to cause grief rather than play something interesting. No challenge to finding the best combination of equipment for your playstyle, because only a few types of equipment are useful outside of RP purposes. There will be few trade skills that are useful, unless you like banging out lock boxes which half of the players in the game can pick in a minute at most. They can also pick the lock of your house too. Boats will just be for storage. Fishing will be relegated to an RP skill, as it turns out that catching fish in UO instead of treasure and crap just isn't that fun or profitable.

Cartography? Why do you need a map, there is one in the game already.

No skill management. If you walk past someone fishing, you're going to lose that .1 magery and be 99.9. Learning by watching in a game sounded like such a good idea at the time.

Really, is there *nothing* that was changed or added to the game in the past decade that the classic enthusiasts like?

starshooter10

starshooter10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
there are TONS of things that I like, I would still prefer a classic server.

why?

because the reason UO was such a hit in its day was the community!

when is the last time you have to goto the bank and buy a pet to ride because he was cheaper/vendor was sold out?

when is the last time you had ask a mage to gate you to minoc so you could find a smithy to repair your mighty sword?

YES you will be "stuck in fel" but ya know what? with no FC/FCR and little/no DI

PVP is much more balanced... its almsot 100% skill of the PLAYER

NOT skill/gear of the toon.

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
It was stated in a video with Cal and Mesana that they have no plan to do this in the future as yet but doesn't mean it won't ever happen.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Cal said it was dead. The main reason he said was there was no clear idea of what classic was. There are so many options as to what it could be. I think at this point its beating a dead horse.

HollywoodB

HollywoodB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I posted this right before I realized there was already one that existed and was newer. So for what it's worth:

that's the only UO I know of. I stopped playing after about 3 months after the introduction of Trammel stones and all that. I remember loving my pk character!!! he had Hiding, Stealth, Theivery, Alchemy, Poisoning, lockpicking and something else that were all fairly high. I remember waiting outside of town for people and snagin there stuff or deadly poisoning them.

I haven't played UO since. I heard of some T2A free shard or something like that. I was actually thinking about getting the game again just for that. I don't know much about it but I wanna play like the old days again for sure!!!

I remember bairly having enough animal taming to ride a nightmare and then going to a dungeon and hopping off and hiding so he could tare gazers up LOL.

Anyone know about that shard or anything?

And on the "no clear idea of what classic was" my opinion of that was everything up to the addition of Trammel and on. Just for the simple fact that was why I stopped playing...

HollywoodB

HollywoodB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
sorry just read not to talk about free shards. my bad. PM me :)

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I loved the old days but there are few simple facts why this would never work out as seen by some folks who seem to look through their pink googles.

"Old Style" uo would mean:
- a game dominated by griefers and pkers (seriously, that is no fun at all)
- lack of tons of nice stuff which has been added, including but not limited to custom housing
- would be limited to the basic skill system. This for most would make the game boring by todays standards as there will be no competition anymore and everything will depend on the players connection because it would be the only difference in the end

UO today is not perfect at all but offers much more than any other mmo out there today.

Community? I think uo has great communities. Be it roleplayers or others. Making a classic shard will NEVER magically bring back any kind of community.
Furthermore be said that uo is anything you want to make out of it. Europa Roleplay for example does not allow magical properties on weapons and armor which basically turns back time to some more classic playstyle and it is fun and fair for everyone. Of course you need people who are commiting to these rules. But I say if you want it in a specific way, you can just do it anytime and suprise!! You don't need a "classic" uo for that :P

Personally I think it's only the pkers and griefers who want a classic uo. It is just annoying that they want to force everyone that way (yes this can be read on stratics).

For "3rd party" shards. Well there are thousands out there, mostly populated by pkers and griefers and other people I'd rather like to avoid ;)

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

HollywoodB

HollywoodB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I understand what you mean, but that's why I loved old school UO. Not because there was "griefers and pkers" but because it felt more real. You had to CYA even from other people. Honestly I don't play UO now so I can't compair it to what I used to play. I still hated the additions after trammel and all that.

I don't believe that making an official shard would just harbor griefers a pkers because if people didn't want to play it, hey they have all the shards they have now to go back to or whatever. At least the people that want the old style (even if they are griefers and pkers) would have the option...

Also, I could care less about community. Humans are humans lol. Some good some bad anywhere you go inside or outside of a game. So I definitly agree with you there.

Mirt

Mirt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
The issue is more that the Griefers and to a large extent most of the PKs would not stay. What many really long for is the opportunity to get something with little risk and little time invested. In other words they want easy prey. The odds of folks ever agreeing to that is slim to none. If you look at siege you can see its not all that popular. If you figure tons of folks will be coming back for that they might for a short period of time but I doubt you could keep people with that. Also people now know how to play that was something that was very difficult to understand back when UO launched. It broke ground but now that the ground is broken there is only so much that can be done to bring it back. It would not make the money necessary to justify all the work that would have to be done making it.

mdmgalactica

mdmgalactica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i'm waiting to osi 1990 rules old school shard too, for the moment play old school shard impy2

WolFie

WolFie

PvM only

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I think people need to just drop the fact of the whole "old school" shard bc like gregor said there is no "right" type, there are soo many different "old school" thought people have that would quote "make it better" in reality it wouldn't it would just bring more for somoene to complain about! And trammel was implied bc well not EVERYONE wants to pvp, honestly like the other person said seige is dead! If it wasn't for the PvMer's there wouldn't be a UO anymore look at most the people who still play this game and play it strong most of them are 100% PvM, so again this is just beating a dead horse!! And just like someone else said there are thousands of free shards that offer this type of play you just need to look them up to find them, and you can find your "perfect" world, there filled with what the others will call griefers or PvPer's, to me there all about the same! Also the whole "old school" wouldn't work also due to all the hacks people have to make the game easier for them to play and to kill, so how much fun do you really think it would be?.. Honestly UO is doing just great they need to worry more about the future of UO and how they can fix some of these flaws they have, and not look for going back into time, hence again there are plenty of free shards out there to play that you can find your "perfect" little world! Just think IF they didn't move on from just fel this game would have been dead and gone and extinct a LONG time ago!!!