Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

120 taming?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

adamx

adamx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
just wondering if there are any creatures that require 120 taming and lore to control? or whats the advantage of going 120 taming/lore over say 110 or 115?

toplessphoenix

toplessphoenix

Holding on to My Soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Well, from my point of view, the only advantages I can see are the extra stable slots you get for 120 but I have been 115 taming and have every pet I need. Now, they don't always listen every time (but most of the time they do). But maybe someone who actually has 120 may be able to tell something diff.
I don't have issues......I have volumes!!:o

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I have 120s. Mine listen. I usually get the monster to focus on my pet and then call the pet back to me with the monster following. That way I can get the monster to a better kill spot. That requires a good bit of listening.

When I was 110ish, I noticed less listening and tended towards riding pets like CUs. It kept some of the wandering down. Since I am 120, I still tend to using CUs or Dreads, but I have a GD in the stable. I'll have to get him out and see about the listening.

As to the points saving from 120 down to 110-115, I run Mage/Tamers. Basically, six skills in 720 points. If I tried to get seven skills in, the character would be trying to hard to do to much. I just don't see a reason to be chintzy about the template as it is.

Clex

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I typically go in the 110-115 range, depending on my suit-of-the-day.

I have swallowed a 120 taming scroll, and have tried running with 120 for a while, but I didn't notice any significant improvement in pet performance apart from my dread war horse.

So my opinion (not so humble) is, you don't need more than 110 taming unless you have fire steeds, dread war horses or bane dragons in your arsenal.
Posted Image

adamx

adamx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
so pets actually have varying degrees of obedience? i didnt know that.

so does that mean sometimes you will give a pet a command and it will just ignore you? do they tend to wander off and do thier own thing? or do they up and leave with that message "your pet has decided it is better off without you" (or something like that)?

whats the most stable slots you can have on one character and which skills exactly give you how many?

thanks for answering :)

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Aye - when a pet ignores your command, it'll usually make a snarling sound of some kind and won't do what you told it to do. And yes, sometimes they just wander off and you have to command them to follow to get them to come back. The frequency of these things is greatly tied to their loyalty status, which can be revived by feeding the pet - but even a wonderfully happy pet can ignore a command. It doesn't happen often to me on my 120 tamer, but happens more frequently at lower skills.

There's a calculator you can use to figure out your pet control chance. It basically equates to the percentage of times the pet will respond favorably to your command. The max possible control chance is 99%, so even if you're at 120 taming and lore, there's still a 1% chance the pet will not obey you.

Pet Control Chance Calculator | UOCraft.com

If you get the message that your pet has decided it's better off without you, you've lost your pet. It is no longer tame, and is wild. You can attempt to re-tame it, but for all intents and purposes it is now wild otherwise.

Taming, lore, and vet are added up to determine your stable slots. If you're 120 in all 3 skills, you get 14 stable slots (+2 more if you have Stygian Abyss).

Basically, you get 5 slots for having 80 skill in each of taming, lore, and vet (or 240+ points combined), then +1 bonus slot for each skill that is at 100, 110, or 120. So, GM in all three skills = 5 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 8. Go up to 110 in all 3 and you have 8 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 11. Go to 120 on all 3 and you've got 11 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 14.

Here's a stable slot calculator if you don't want to fuss with the math:
Pet Stable Slot Calculator | UOCraft.com
(note that it doesn't include the +2 if you have Stygian Abyss).

Also note that stable slots are calculated by what jewels you're wearing at the time, so if you have yourself jeweled up to 120 on all skills, you'll get all of the 14 slots. Then, after you stable your pet, you can remove those jewels. Your pets will remain fine, and you can still retrieve them even if your non-jeweled skill isn't high enough for max slots, but you'll need to put those jewels back on in order to stable them again if your stables are full. If you try to stable the pet and your skills don't give you enough stable slots, you'll get the message that your stables are full.