Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Why UO will never be mainstream...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Nah, he could've said they'd rather UO's devteam work on Warhammer. Since this was before all the layoffs (including his own), they probably could've helped it a bunch :)

I don't like it, but thats how business works. They "invest" the salary of the developers. Now they can have them work on UO, or on some new project. If they really think some new project will be more profitable, they'd go for it.

However, a guaranteed profit now is better than potentially more in the future. Companies are more apt to take risks when the country isn't recovering from a recession as well.

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
if they want to push the EC client.. why havv'nt they boxed that?
new people wouldnt know the differnce...
i use 2d because EC is laggy... but im looking into switching to ec when i can get a better cpu

it isnt the EC fault i dont use it i would happily it has a lot of cool features

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
There seems to be a popular misconception about "boxing" releases. It costs a lot of money to produce said boxes, is a huge investment upfront(which they might not recoup) to market and deliver the boxes, and a lot of time they just sit on shelves.

When they do digitial distribution, they get almost *all* the sale price back as profit. In other words, when they sell High Seas and someone buys it for $15, they probably get $11-$14 of that back as profit(minus credit card processing and possibly whatever agreement they have with whoever has been farmed out to do the gamecodes store).

If they'd boxed High Seas and tried to sell it at Best Buy, they may have only gotten a few dollars back per box sold, and that's before any serious marketing.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
High seas was a booster, you couldnt of got that code and started a new account... but SA was a whole new thing... it could of been and they could of got a lot of interest from even putting up baners in other places other than on their own website... where your kinda preaching to the converted?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Stygian Abyss, same thing, I was just using High Seas as the most recent example of a new set of content outside the normal Publish cycle, altho certainly SA was a *lot* more stuff.

---

nukeman8

nukeman8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Felucca has the problem of being very cut throat.
EVE solved it better with varying degrees of danger without being totally safe anywhere.

It is hard to say what way a popularmmo game should have gone to keep all sort of players.

Shadowbane and darkfall both cater to the pvp mostly. They have hardly any murdering restrictions.
Mortal onlyine is too buggy to cater to anyone.
EVE I think has also no murdering restrictions or?

UO could learn alot from EVE, kinda ironic as UO use to be exactly how EVE is now (you could be killed just about anywhere.)
I think thou UO could never be mainstream without a graphical overhaul, to many people care about how a game looks.

Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos

UOForums Owner/EOGamer CEO

• Administrators
  • 3,225 posts
  • LocationDenmark
Honestly, they should never have made the EC. They should have enhanced the CC and then made UO2. No matter what improvements you make on the original, it just won't really fly. A whole new version might.

Learn from the mistakes from UO, make different rules servers, modern 3D game = good hit

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Just a note, was at the mall yesterday and stopped into GameStop, and was amazed at the changes (Haven't been in the store in a couple of years). There was exactly 1 display with 2 or 3 versions of WoW, and only about 2 of each. THAT WAS THE ONLY PC ITEM IN THE STORE! Everything else was XBox, PS3, WII or the DS. Yet go to thier website and you can see anything you want.

To me, at least, this really shows how the business has changed, not just for the developer, but also on the retail end.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Im pretty sure within a decade, or even less, GameStop, et al. will be in the same boat Blockbuster is now. Digitial distribution is so much cheaper and more profitable for the developers.

---

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Except that the boxed version of Cataclysm costs €30 and digitally download €35, which has me a bit baffled ...

So I will probably buy the box and download the english client from their website :P

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Question: am I the only one that gets motion sickness when playing the EC? Everything is so choppy and it makes it unplayable for me. I like all the nice stuff on the EC but if I move faster than walking I can't look at the screen.

Is this some graphics setting that is easily tweaked? I have a kickass computer, it definitely will handle anything this can throw at it. I really want to get the EC working because I can't get 2D to stop crashing, EC is more stable.

edit: playing with it some more, I found turning v-sync on made it a little less choppy, but not enough to make it playable... hmm I'll keep trying to mess with it

GregorLassant

GregorLassant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Question: am I the only one that gets motion sickness when playing the EC? Everything is so choppy and it makes it unplayable for me. I like all the nice stuff on the EC but if I move faster than walking I can't look at the screen.

Is this some graphics setting that is easily tweaked? I have a kickass computer, it definitely will handle anything this can throw at it. I really want to get the EC working because I can't get 2D to stop crashing, EC is more stable.

edit: playing with it some more, I found turning v-sync on made it a little less choppy, but not enough to make it playable... hmm I'll keep trying to mess with it

Do you have a large monitor? I set my game to 1080 and have a monitor that at my viewing distance takes up most if not all of my vision. In fact, to see something on the extremes of the screen, I have to cut my eyes over from one side to another. The movement is usually pretty smooth, and I consider it to be very immersive and enjoyable. It almost feels as if Im moving with my character and the terrain is moving. I find that to be very cool, but I have never had motion sickness, and I've been drinking beer and eating a sandwich on a small fishing boat in ten foot seas. I could imagine it could cause you to feel odd if you're susceptible to that.

muscle_n_flow

muscle_n_flow

Everything Hits At Once

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
yeah I use a 24" tv as a monitor and I do sit pretty close, but I don't see why it would be an issue with just UO and not other games. I actually just recently came back to UO and now the 2D is kinda giving me the same effect, just not to the same degree the EC does. It must be me and not the client. Thanks for the advice anyway!

and great, now I am craving a beer :P

Guido

Guido

Ultima Franchise Managing Editor and Site Moderator

• Administrators
  • 2,005 posts

Just a note, was at the mall yesterday and stopped into GameStop, and was amazed at the changes (Haven't been in the store in a couple of years). There was exactly 1 display with 2 or 3 versions of WoW, and only about 2 of each. THAT WAS THE ONLY PC ITEM IN THE STORE! Everything else was XBox, PS3, WII or the DS. Yet go to thier website and you can see anything you want.

To me, at least, this really shows how the business has changed, not just for the developer, but also on the retail end.

I think a lot of it has to do with location - the local GameStop here has 2-3 racks of PC games/apps/minor hardware things, and, of course, the tons of console items.

Stores in malls tend to cater to a slightly different consumer base than do the stand-alone or strip mall versions. If you pay attention to such things, you can notice it with other types of shops as well. A lot of it probably has to do with basic overhead costs (mall space is much higher than strip mall or stand alone, for example) and it usually offers a much smaller overall area to do business out of.

Now, I'm not going to drive to Spartanburg to make a direct comparison tomorrow, but the next time I'm down there, I'll make a note to check out the theory (Spartanburg, SC is probably the closest location to me with a 'major' shopping mall - the majority of the others are all, sadly, on the verge of death from a bad local economy)

Esse Quam Videri
Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

fs_pc.png

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
I wonder how a level based UO a la wow would look like.
maybe with some decisions/forks in quests for good/bad Karma?

Paladin and Necromaner would be easy classes.
Ninjas and Samurais? brrrr
Tamer should work as tank class, Bards as buff/debuff
One healer class?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Maybe we'll find out on Facebook in a few months, lol

---

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
I do think their "3D" clients have been a waste of time/resources although apparently the new one does have some nice features. I honestly believe if they kept "true" to the classic client's view style and upgraded the graphics along with UI to have more useful features they would attract a lot of past players and new ones. 2D or 3D UO is an ugly game and why I do not believe graphics make the game they certainly do not hurt either.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
My local GameStop has one 3'x5' rack of shelves with PC games, about the same as the local Walmart. On the other hand, the local Best Buy has an entire 40' aisle dedicated to PC games.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

My local GameStop has one 3'x5' rack of shelves with PC games, about the same as the local Walmart. On the other hand, the local Best Buy has an entire 40' aisle dedicated to PC games.

I think it really depends on where you live. For example my nearest Gamestop has one of those revolving stands with PC games everything else is console. My local Walmart has one enitre aisle of PC games and My Best Buy has only about a half aisle for PC games with the other half of other PC non-game programs.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment