Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Why UO will never be mainstream...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
There are a lot of things I do love about UO. Unfortunately there are a lot of things I don't as well.
For example : Spending 30 min "working" a spawn only to get ganked by 5 people when the boss pops. Yes that is part of the game... "working as intended". However when you notice 3 out of 5 are skipping across your screen speed cheating well past the ban hammer runs of Mythic it's disappointing to say the least.
UO's biggest problem is in fact the players still playing the game. Your *never* safe in the game... ever. There are so many exploits/cheats/scams etc that any new players doesn't stand a chance. Once again a lot of it is *great* when working as intended until you add in the players whom an unfortunately large amount seem to be pretty devious.
PVPers:
1st off I used to love UO pvp. Now I think it's pathetic. Why? You almost have to cheat to be a high tier player. People can say no you don't all you want but fact of the matter is people are running 3rd party programs aside from UOA in order to achieve PVP dominance. I do think it's odd with PVPers how I always see the same ones normally fighting in Yew or a champ spawn yet many seem to have endless supplies of any item they want. Now they are either buying it, duping it or both.
UO appears to be a game built upon good intentions and expectations that people are not jerks when hiding behind a computer. This is a lesson well learned by games such as WoW that don't even let you speak with the opposing faction.
UO's updates are not well thought out:
I'm not going to touch the difficulties of using a new ship to it's fullest capabilities especially when the add-on was first released.. but did they forget they added garg's to the game? Maybe I missed a piece but it doesn't appear they got any new gear.
Why are they continuing to add new lands when the player base is so far spread apart as it is? Most of UO (on apparently anything other than Atl) is a ghost town. Cities are completely empty, the only place to see people is Luna or at a focus at WBB it appears. Why not revamp places that are largely unused to make more use out of them?
Giant turkeys? Awesome thanks got it.. it's Thanksgiving errrr was. Yet there are turkeys running around the entire world. Champions are Turkeys? Good idea. However not enabling bird slayers at the very least since you wiped out the use of their respective slayer seems to be a bonehead move to me. I wonder sometimes what goes on at their meetings... and if they have any sort of afterthought process at all.
Why is EVERYONE a mystic mage? You think that'd be some sort of hint that maybe they need to tweak the skill?
Why can I go to 120 chiv? I mean there is no point what-so-ever. I get a tittle I may want.. that's the only benefit. Chiv is how many years old? Why not look more to the Ultima series of games instead of just making crap up? Maybe its some sort of legal problems with that I don't know but I personally find that more appearling that Todd McFarlene robots running Sosaria.
Why can I solo the Stygian Dragon? Is it fun sure... do I do it? Absolutely. However there isn't anything in the game from what I've seen that would require more than 2-3 players.
UO's economy... well it's a joke. People have over a billion gold and I honestly don't see it ever getting fixed so a million gold isn't a joke.
This has been a long rant for me but it's beyond simply annoying the circle of mistakes made by revolving dev teams. Yes I understand they don't have the support of WoW however I think if they'd think things through a little more and maybe just maybe test things? Well that'd make the game a lot smoother.
As for the griefers, scammers, etc. That comes with any deal that's on the internet I understand. I understand and do enjoy the risk vs reward. However when you look at whats going on in the actual state of the game it's just far to easy to be an !!! and accomplish things than it is to be *nice*. That's not going to change. Especially with the Fel/Tram split. That's why players hate Fel because if your a jerk thats pretty much where your going to be. Before the split there was more of a balance because everyone was there but not anymore.
To summarize Ultima Online can be a great game its a shame too much of the player base are worthless degenerates and actually drove quite a few people out of the game they play.

Nimuaq

Nimuaq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
There are a lot of things in the game that dont make any sense including the ones you've pointed out about chivalry and the giant turkeys. However, 3rd party programs are seen as the main problem of UO. Not only the ones being used in pvp but also the script programs that allow players to gather resources and train skills while they're away.

This has not been fixed by the developer team yet. They should do us all a favor and finally confess that they're incompetent on this very subject for fixing it on the server side, yet they will keep banning players that GMs caught which they believe will be a warning for others (I know, it is not). Because if they're competent enough but dont fix it, it means they dont just care, and I dont want to believe this to be true.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
..I, like you, once desired my freedom from the limits placed on me. I watched in disgust as this world became engrossed with the preaching of virtue and none of the practice..

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Concerning the PvP and cheating stuff: just use the EC!

I don't know maybe people stopped cheating on my shard, but since i switched to EC I don't have any problems in pvp anymore. There's noone who can outrun me or who can't be killed using the right technique.

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I doubt all problems origin from incompetence. It sure is most likely an issue of low budget for the development team. Shards seem dead? Well, comes with the time if you don't advertise. They should give it a shot and do an advertisement campaign for uo. Maybe even targetting older players instead of doing mainstream spots like I see for WoW. On the other side, a good product does not need advertisement. By that thought it would mean WoW is crap. Well it is but that's another story ;)

Oh and about Felucca, yes, I don't go there anymore because I don't find any fun in getting beating by red moron. This sounds harsh, but most times it's just like that. I met nice reds too but I learned that this is an exception.

Come visit Europa. It's not dead, it just doesn't consist of a lot of bank sitters ;)

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
its true this game has a certain erm... cant thinkof the word... but it isnt the right type of game to be mainstream.... it doesnt have what is considered a beginning, middle and end... most people like to know they have "completed" something to show off.... Ultima is something most people shout for but in the wrong format for the masses.... let me explane

How many times have you seen people screaming i wish "blah" game was longer or OH MY GOD how could they end "zigs" this way?
we all scream for longer games
but UO isnt what they ment unfortunatly

I had a little talk with someone on icq about how as stated in other threads that UO doesnt give you a path like other games and some people just cannot grasp that....
I myself love that you make your own game.... Fable (the game) promised something like that.. but alas it didnt give me what UO gives me...

im sorry if all that seams a baddly typed and makes no sence but i just wrote out as the words came into my head

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oriana

Oriana

Guildmistress, Gentle Rest Inn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
*is grateful that it's OK to mention PK-PvPers in less than favorable ways on UOForums*

Followers of that play style have taken over certain other boards that shall be nameless.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

*is grateful that it's OK to mention PK-PvPers in less than favorable ways on UOForums*

Followers of that play style have taken over certain other boards that shall be nameless.

In my opinion, there is, in fact, honor on the field. There are two kinds of PKs. Those who do it for the fight, and those who do it for the smacktalk.

The ones doing it for the fight, are the ones who truly enjoy the challenge of fighting a human opponent. They want that feeling of competition, yet are just as likely to res their opponent, and thank them for a good fight. The kind of people who will return a lost insurance item, if it happens to bug out and drop.

The ones doing it for the smacktalk, are the kids. They're the people that slander others on the forums, theyre the vocal minority that we often lump all PvPers into, because these are the ones we see in public. They'll often use any advantage, including cheating, to simply "ruin someone's day". They want to defeat someone with no chance, then tell everyone they see that they did it.

Personally, I like to respect the former, and ignore the latter.

Raiding spawns? I don't like it, but it happens. it's the design of the game. I don't like rush hour traffic either, but I deal with it.

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
Only MMO that is mainstream is WOW, so UO is not so bad.
And WOW took all the 'best' aspects of mmo and built a pretty bugfree version of it. So UO is excused from having 'old' features as then no one knew how MMO's would develop.

PvP is highly competitive and like everywhere some people will do anything to gain an advantage - not a lot we can do - ea would need to step up

As for new lands .. simple how else do you convince your players to buy a new box? You have to add something substantial.

And yes almost all of UO's aspects would need a rehaul, as they are often outdated, buggy or useless.

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

...And WOW took all the 'best' aspects of mmo...

Definitly not.

And yes almost all of UO's aspects would need a rehaul, as they are often outdated, buggy or useless.

That ain't true as well.

Besides, you cannot compare uo and wow directly because they are two completely different kinds of games. I love the sandbox uo provides. Any other so called mmo is just leading a single layers through instances where they meet people they never see again. Just does not match my expectation of a mmo ;)

Citizen Office of Vesper
Europa Roleplay

Oriana

Oriana

Guildmistress, Gentle Rest Inn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

In my opinion, there is, in fact, honor on the field. There are two kinds of PKs. Those who do it for the fight, and those who do it for the smacktalk.
The ones doing it for the smacktalk, are the kids. They're the people that slander others on the forums, theyre the vocal minority that we often lump all PvPers into, because these are the ones we see in public. They'll often use any advantage, including cheating, to simply "ruin someone's day". They want to defeat someone with no chance, then tell everyone they see that they did it.

As far as I'm able to tell (since PvPers don't show us photo IDs with birth dates), adults fall into the smack talk category just as much as kids do. On my shard, more adults than kids are involved.

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

I had a little talk with someone on icq about how as stated in other threads that UO doesnt give you a path like other games and some people just cannot grasp that....

Funny you said that its this flexibility i absolutely adore... though the few loop holes bug me.. like a necro paladin.. but never mind that....

and as for never being mainstream.. it already was relatively mainstream... 13 years ago... the main reason it won't get that now is it just doesn't have the beauty that modern games have...

and the majority of the players aren't worthless degenerates .. its just the majority of the ones to impose themselves on you are worthless degenerates
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
with the pvper's aspect of uo i pvp not for the kill or for the smack talk, i sinply do it for the challenge!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

As far as I'm able to tell (since PvPers don't show us photo IDs with birth dates), adults fall into the smack talk category just as much as kids do. On my shard, more adults than kids are involved.

I meant kids in terms of the age they act, not the age they are ;)

And WoW took the best aspects of EQ, largely. Though i've heard stories of some of the old EQ people that worked on WoW. None of them are very nice, and they used to crash servers, simply because they're pissed off about something Sony did to the game. I believe they had a comeuppance when they were on the recieving end of the irate players, and they realized that balancing a game isn't easy.

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
Well 3rd party programs are a problem for PVP still even if they're not huge speed cheats it's still there. Also as pointed out resource gathering and what not is being done automatically by a lot of these people to amass huge amounts of resources giving them a huge edge. Now I do believe a person that plays a lot should get an advantage for doing so because hey they put the time in. However when someone setups up a 3rd party program that just mines a crap ton of ore all day or anything like that is crazy.
Balancing a game like UO is pretty much impossible however I still believe they can make a better effort to do so.
Also you don't need new land to get players to buy and add-on. Look at the booster for example. It has new things yes but uses existing territory.
I love how much of a sandbox UO is. I know I've come off harsh and am not blaming what appears to be 6 people working on the this game by themselves but I do believe if through a pipe dream of mine they were able to convince EA to dump more money into the game they'd see a lot more profits.
I don't see very many PVPers these days that really have any honor. From what I've seen many like to do the old wait till the boss pops... swarm the spawners and then enjoy the benefits. Yes that is the price to pay for going to a Fel Champ and yes they do not have to do that in order to get scrolls however I find a lot of these players not doing it because they want the scrolls, profit or anything other than to feel superior because their pixels killed someone else's and showed them they wasted time attempting to achieve something. That's why WoW is so successful even on the PVP servers things are instanced. Now don't get me wrong I do NOT believe they should move or change the champ spawns. I just think UO's biggest problem is actually the players in many cases.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
UO will never be mainstream because it was the first and is now 15 years behind the times in terms of MMO design.

UO is the Model T of MMOs, who is going to drive one when you can be playing with a WOW F-150.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
WoW isn't even that new.

Lotro and Warhammer, and then Aion and Final Fantasy 14 have vastly superior graphics engines.

However, much like buying a Mustang, deep down the core workings are just like that old Model T. WoW may have better designed quests, and lots of group dungeons, but in the end it's still about spending time improving your character and playing out a story.

The major selling point of UO remains that in UO you can decide what that story should be.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Unless you want to be a Legendary Fisherman, lol

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
UO will never be mainstream for quite a few reasons, in my opinion

1) They wasted so much time and money on THREE 2.5D clients and even now, the last one remains unfinished.

2) They also take way to long to fix outstanding and very old bugs

3) They treat non-stratics fansites like....(beep), which is no way to reward their efforts at helping keep your game alive.

4) If you lose your account due to hacking, they couldn't care less, which is a terrible way to treat customers, especially vets.

5) They increased the fees years ago, promising much more for our money, including better customer support etc, but as a result, we seemed to get much poorer customer support, a cancelled fansite program, cancelled scenario team and other negative things.

(I could go on, but I'll stop there :P)

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

WoW isn't even that new.

World of Warcraft is days away from releasing an expansion which is revamping the entire existing world. It isn't barely the same game it was 6 years ago. They have been constantly revamping, adding and tweaking stuff. In contrast many aspects of UO remain the same after 10 years.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Kaelyn

Kaelyn

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
And sadly MMO'S are advancing very slowly so that even the new games are not really that much ahead of wow in gameplay
:(