Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Auction Houses

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones

Aqcuirer of the Rare and Obscure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
I hate to say it... I really do, but I would love to see an Auction House similar to the one that *cringe* World of Warcraft has. If you're unfamiliar with it, basically you go to the auction house in the city, put what you have for sale up, set a buyout price if you'd like, a time for it to end, and let people bid away or buyout. Lots of fun, and a game in itself.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
It would destroy player vendoring, and the geographic importance of vendor houses. This may not be a bad thing. *All* players could bring their goods to market in an efficient, equitable and even slightly more secure system.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Calis M^N

Calis M^N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
but as you said would destroy vending... which is what is very good about UO the fact that you can interact with the other players...

its just another way WoW makes life simple

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
I've read quite a few downsides to an auction house system. It killing off player vendors and vendor malls is one. It could also kill off player Auction Houses too which would be a bad thing (why take it to a player auction when you can just throw it up on the Luna Auction House?).
I've heard some people suggest scriptors would be able to game the system by automatically buying up items which are less than a certain value to resell at a higher price, thus artificially inflating prices.

I think some sort of global search system would be better, set up as a building with a Master Merchant in it and his mage friend who will hand you a temporary rune (lasts 600 seconds?) you can use to get there. It'd mesh better with the game world than a faceless auction house system too.

I hated the auction houses in WoW even if I did make quite a bit of money there. You never actually ever met or talked to anyone. At least if you have to go to a vendor mall, you might run into the owner or other customers.
Typesetter and Reporter for the PaxLair Times.

retiredmj

retiredmj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
I'd hate to see AH. UO wouldn't be UO if WBB and Luna weren't always littered with Vending house runes. Besides, then I'd have to actually buy my own runes.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I agree with you Ashlarr on the player auctions. While there are only a few active ones, they are also in-game social hubs. However, they benefit a few players and not the playerbase as a whole. Perhaps a compromise would be to offer the auction house system with high cuts, like 15-20% so that player-run ones could continue to operate at the 10-15% rate.

Also, if someone is gaming the system and buying up resources to resell, the house cut takes this into account. Also, those trying to sell, the initial item or resource gatherers, would still make some gold, the onus would be on the resellers to figure a price that still sells and they make a profit with the aforementioned 15-20% cut. Over time, it's the people out there mining, chopping and doing the actual work that would make the real gold and not just those shuffling things around with a big balance to back them up. As it stands now, between the search sites and Luna malls, only the big money people can even compete in vendoring.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

GregorLassant

GregorLassant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Compared to many old players I've met, I think I'm pretty tolerant of change. I'm particularly enthusiastic about EC. However, I believe AH is the one thing that I would fight tooth and nail. One of the unique things that is possible with UO is that you can actually go in a building, have an auctioneer up front, and hold an auction. I don't mean a global chat channel where people spam WTS and WTB, but rather real auctions. I spent two years pretty much just participating in those.

I think a good compromise ( because there is a problem now, unlike when UO came out) would be some sort of vendor listing, or perhaps better a public board where auctions could be advertised and rated. Perhaps an EM moderated type of deal.

Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones

Aqcuirer of the Rare and Obscure

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Wow, didn't expect a vehement response like that. The only reason I like the idea of Auction House is for example, I've spent countless hours, gold, and days trying to find SOS's at vendor houses, and have even resorted to yelling out at the bank to no avail. Alongside with bulk ingots, regs, and various other things that there are hundreds of vendors for, but never stocked.

AH you search, you find, you buy. Not so much an actual request to get one in the game, as a barb to spur people to stock their vendors :P

Ashlarrr

Ashlarrr

Myconid Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
Aye, I cannot dispute the utility of an Auction House system, they would be very useful and convenient. But I feel it comes at a cost ingame which I think is too high. I'd rather try and find a compromise if possible!
Typesetter and Reporter for the PaxLair Times.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
I would be opposed to the auction house system, for the destruction of player vending.

I'm all for player-run auctions, however. I wish there were more of them!

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Just a thought.... (I haven't read all comments, so if this has been mentioned, I apologize).
On a server I played on (in WoW), we had some filthy rich (assuming gold seller) start buying out almost every real useful mat. (Crafting materials) (This is back in Vanilla wow [before any expansions]) They would put the Mats back in for a long period, with a pretty high buyout price. People that really needed those mats at the time would do the buyout price.

Think of what people with literally 100's of millions could do to a shard in UO with that type of system.

What If an auction house was in addition to the vendor system? Although honestly, I dunno if they could do that. How often have the AH servers in WoW (back then) gone down, and how often have the UO Housing, vet reward, etc. systems been down (Can UO even afford AH servers for each shard?)
Anyways, if both existed, and somebody decided to "run the AH" - there would be alternatives...

Just some random thoughts...