Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Craft suits from plain or runic before imbuing?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Hi all -

I'm an imbuing n00b. I've finished training it, and now I'm trying to figure out the best way to use it!

So. In crafting leather armor pieces: what's the best approach?

- Craft with a normal sewing kit using horned or barbed leather, then PoF, then imbue?

or

- Craft with a low end runic (spined or horned) kit using horned or barbed leather, pick through for appropriate mods, then PoF, then imbue?

or

- Craft with normal sewing kit using regular leather, then PoF, then imbue, then enhance with barbed?

or

- Craft with a low end runic using regular leather, then PoF, then imbue, then enhance with barbed?

In my experience so far, it seems that the chance of destroying the piece with enhancing isn't worth the potential few extra resists. So that leaves the first two options. Of those two, it seems I waste a lot with the low end runics on properties I'm not seeking - so why bother? Why not just use a regular sewing kit and imbue what I want on there?

I'm guessing it's in hopes of scoring a runic made piece that has all or most of its assigned magic properties in resists, leaving the other mods open for imbuing (so you don't have to waste imbuing mods on resists).

Am I understanding correctly? And what's your preferred approach?

Thanks!

Zigglefriggit

Zigglefriggit

The Lost One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
as a non-crafter my head is now spinning

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
LOL as a crafter, mine is too, Zig!! :)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
My prefered sequence:

Weapons:
- Craft with low-end runic to get 100% elemental intensities.
- Enhance to bring any near-100% elemntal damage up to 100% (i.e. enhance an 80% fire damage weapon with bronze)
- Imbue

Armor:
- Craft exceptional pieces from horned leather using non-runic kits. I find horned gives the best distribution of resists, but you could always used barbed for a few more points
- Imbue
- Don't enhance

Exception:
The really best armor is exceptionally crafted non-runic woodland armor, imbued and then enhanced for the extra properties of the rare woods. You will burn several tens of millions of gold or gold-equivalent resources, though, because the enhance break rate after max imbue is ridiculously high.

I suppose a truly amazing bokuto could be created in this way, too. Really expensive for a weapon that's going to take a durability hit with each swing, though.

Note: If you have a bunch of spined kits taking up space, there is no reason NOT to make some horned leather pieces and hope for a max intensity property, like MR2. The difficulty to overcome, though, is the chance of undesireable properties screwing up your imbuing intensities...

Good crafting!

~M

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
Thanks muchly, Magister!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm starting to make sense of this imbuing thing :)

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
I guess Ill go ahead and throw in my $0.02.
I've imbued lots of stuff epecially suits. After making and learning from a lot of my own mistakes and can share this: I always spend LOTS of time planning s suit on paper before I try to imbue it. Of course this is pretty hard to do in terms of resistances but, once youve figured out what you want the suit for it is easy to start building it. I prefer the method of using plain leather and then imbuing and enhancing. This is quite costly in terms of both gold and resources but the end product is worth it. You can assure that what you put into it you will get out of it. I have built a suit for my mage char that has %100 LRC, 18MR, %40 LMC, 70 70 70 70 75 resists and I forget exactly how much spell damage increase there is but there is some. The suit is medable and also includes stat bonuses that take my total stats to 125 str, 16 dex, and 150 intel. I have a total of 184 mana which is a little excesive but its pretty cool to have. I can cast forever, even heavy spells.

My additional notes are as follows:
always PoF before you imbue as you can not afterward.
woodland armor suits are quite strong indeed, I have one on my archer, but.. woodland armor is not medable which is the only setback. The resists can get rediculously high though, and I actually spent the resources and endless cash just to craft a pair of gloves with the rare %5 hit chance increase that you can get from imbuing with heartwood.

if you are planning to use runics before imbuing which I sometimes do, consider making say weapons with damage types or abnormally high property levels which cannont imbued that high and then imbue them with other desired properties.

Well, thats all I could think of right at the moment I guess but I'll check back if I think of any other advice I might be able to give..

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Like McNudge, I spent a lot of time planning suits. I am a heavy arti user so I usually end up with only 2-4 imbued items. Sometimes I need more than I could imbue, like 50 fire resist on only 2 items. Then I carefully pick the right material (like horned leather in this case) and burn a spined runic or two, until I get two pieces with 25 fire each. Then I imbue the rest I want.

For weapons I usually use dull copper hammers until I get a weapon with 30 swing speed or another relic fragment property on max. dull copper hammers are cheaper than relic fragments ;)

Playing on Drachenfels? Speaking German? Tired of exploring Sosaria alone?

Check us out: www.semperfidelis.de or sent me a pm

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Planning suits out on paper is key. I have a spreadsheet I like to use, particularly when I'm including artifacts. I plug in the known resist values of the artifact pieces I intend to use, and my spreadsheet spits out the number of resistance points I need to assemble from the crafted pieces, and gives an estimate of the number of imbues it will take.

I encourage you to build your own and try it. I've saved several imbues for other mods through careful management of resist points. The downside is that you end up crafting dozens (or hundreds) of, say, gloves to get the exact resist distribution you need.

That's a lot more effort than I want to expend for a casual PvM suit, most days...

~M

GregorLassant

GregorLassant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Magister, where do you get the formulae for imbuing, stratics? I can make the sheet no prob but I don't know the math for imbue yet.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Just for the ones who don't know this yet:
Knuckleheads.dk • Imbuing Calculator

Quite helpful sometimes.

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Planning suits out on paper is key. I have a spreadsheet I like to use, particularly when I'm including artifacts. I plug in the known resist values of the artifact pieces I intend to use, and my spreadsheet spits out the number of resistance points I need to assemble from the crafted pieces, and gives an estimate of the number of imbues it will take.

I encourage you to build your own and try it. I've saved several imbues for other mods through careful management of resist points. The downside is that you end up crafting dozens (or hundreds) of, say, gloves to get the exact resist distribution you need.

That's a lot more effort than I want to expend for a casual PvM suit, most days...

~M

The spreadsheet is a great idea, thank you for that. I was doing the math out the ong way on paper before and it took up a lot of ink/lead sometimes, LOL. although I am also picky about having to switch back and fourth from windows, its easy to do but I like to look at my notes and the ultima screen at the same time sometimes, I guess Ill have to try it and get over it..

I too do careful distribution of resists when drafting the initial piece to imbue, and your right it does take tens and hundreds of tries sometimes to get the right pieces, then if you enhance and break them like I do it takes even longer to get a good suit made. But the extra mods you can get are worth it sometimes. Its a costly errand to have to run but once you have an awsome suit built it feels good wearing it. You know youve got as much as you can possibly get for whatever temp your using.

Just one more note on imbuing wieght and that is, you kind of get used to it after a while but one thing to keep in mind is the fact that if something is over the imbuing cap wieght like say %55 life leech, then the wieght is factored in for it and you sont be able to get your other properties as high as you could if it were only at %50. Just figure out what is more important for you when it comes to max and above max properties.

Also a sie note on this, on thing I figured out after some reseach is the fact that hit mana leech and swing speed increase are directly related in terms of max wieght. I have a bow with %40 SSI and the highest I can get the mana leech property to go is %37. Even if you leave room and set it to %50, once you enhance with ash, the mana leech drops automatically on its own.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
You are correct - there's even a table for this over at Hit Mana Leech - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia