Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Crafter's Template

5 replies to this topic

Buffy

Buffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
I have recently returned to Ultima and want to make a crafter, but I have no clue where to start. Could someone help me? :huh

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Unless you want to spend a lot of gold buying materials for working up skillgain in actual crafting skills(Blacksmithing, Carpentry, Bowcraft/Fletching, etc.) you'll likely need to first get a significant level of skill in gathering skills(Mining, Lumberjacking, etc.) so I would start there.

The other way is work on a character who can make you gold killing things and then using that gold to buy materials.

Fishing can get you fishsteaks for Cooking and, at 100, messages in a bottle which you can fish up treasure chests full of items that can be unraveled to work up Imbuing as well as tons of gold to spend as you like. Prior to High Seas, not many people did Fishing, but now it's wildly popular.

Carpentry and Tinkering are probably the least profitable crafting skills. Alchemy, Inscription and to some extent Cooking can make decent livings. Smithing and Tailoring(and to a lesser extent Bowcraft) can be pretty good, esp if you have Imbuing.

Plant growing, while not specifically a skill, benefits hugely from Alchemy to make the potions to help grow plants and can be profitable.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Buffy

Buffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Okay thanks so much, but what about Arms Lore? Should I include that?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Arms Lore gives you a 5% bonus to any weapon you create so you might want to have it if you want to make weapons. It's easy to work up and costs nothing to do so.

Since there are many, many possible crafting skills, some people work them up and then soulstone the skills off their character til they need them so they can work on other skills. I almost never use Alchemy or Inscription, but when I need to make some potions or runebooks I will put them temporarily on my crafter and them put them back on the soulstone when I'm done.

Depending on the crafting skill, see if there are quests in Heartwood. For example, instead of just making bows to work up your Bowcraft skill and throw them all away, stand next to the bowcraft questgiver in Heartwood and keep turning in the quest as you make bows. If youre lucky, you get some nice items such as totems or runic fletching kits. If youre at the point in your skillgain where you need to make bows but get quests for heavy crossbows, just refuse the quest and ask the elf again until you get one for bows. Same with carpentry and tinkering.

Check out UOGuide.com for info on skill gaining if you want to read up a bit.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

Tanivar

Tanivar

Craftaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

I have recently returned to Ultima and want to make a crafter, but I have no clue where to start. Could someone help me? :huh

Crafting is definitely the fun part of the sandbox we play in. :)

I'd say to start three characters, then later on, use a soulstone to move the skills among your accounts characters to where you want them once the training is done. You will want each one to have a pack animal that is bonded to the character so that if it is killed, it will become a ghost so it can be restored to life. Bonding is achieved by feeding the pack animal and then keeping it alive for a week, then feeding it again, at which point the(tame) below it's name should change to (Bonded). Pack animals will charge monsters and attack them, so the best one to have is a giant beetle which any non -gargoyle character can mount and restrain. If it's carrying over 500 stones weight, it can't move while being rode and your character may have to defend himself. I went with magery when I did it, but that was back before bonding and giant beetles were in the game, and being able to cast Gate was *really* handy. :)

I'd say to start out with Mining, Blacksmithing, Tinkering, and Arms lore on one. That way he can make the ingots to supply his smithing and tinkering training. You can sell what he makes to NPCs in town or use a salvage bag to retrieve some of the smithing item's ingots to use again. Arm's Lore will climb while you train the smithing.

On a second character put Lumberjacking, Carpentry, Bowcrafting, and Tailoring. He can log wood and use it to train Carpentry and Bowcrafting as he lumberjacks. While wandering through the woods he can hunt hide-bearing animals for leather and shear sheep for wool to make cloth from. The early Tailoring training is all cloth, then later on goes to leather. Use your axe on the logs to make boards which are lighter than logs, and use shears to make the heavy hides into lighter leather.

On a third, have Alchemy, Inscription, and Cooking. You can get wheat from the fields between Britain and the mountains to make flour for cooking. The Alchemy and Inscription will require a lot of regeants which means you have to play the Regeant Vendor Game and buy them out of each regeant you want and wait for them to restock, which will be double the last amount. The timeout between restocks seems to vary so you will have to experiment a bit. If the regeant item isn't bought completely out when the next restock happens, the quantity will drop by half until it gets back to 20, the max being 999.

The Imbuing skill is a very expenbive one to train and is best on a garoyle due to a 10% racial bonus they get. It lets you add magic to armor and weapons that can make them almost as good as articacts.

There are some things that require two skills to make, so I wemt with this final combination on my Crafters.

Crafter #1

120 Blacksmithing
120 Tailoring
100 Carpentry
100 Tinkering
100 Bowcrafting
100 Arms Lore
20 Music (45 with two jewelry items)
60 Magery (100 with two jewelry items & a book)

Landreu can craft all the house add-ons, music instruments with one set of jewelry, and Abbatoirs & Pentagrams with the usually worn set of jewelry. With a +magery spellbook he can hunt dragons using Elemental Vortexes and Mind Blast spells and carries the Illustrious title. A crafter needs to be able to thump rump sometimes. :)

Crafter #2

100 Alchemy
100 Cooking
120 Imbuing
100 Inscription
100 Item I.D.
103 Magery (120 with jewelry)
97 Meditation (110 with same jewelry)

Valana is my Gardener since she makes the potions. She also does the enhancing of her Father's work using the imbuing skill. The two of them can turn out near artifact quality gear.

These two can make pretty much anything craftable in the game. A third character has the Mining and Lumberjacking skills in addition to his spellslinging skills.

Some mining and logging requires you to go where Bad Things play. Make sure he can take care of himself when something nasty decides he looks tasty.

Have fun. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moving forward is a Good Thing, but EA needs to consider they've made a wrong turn somewhere and are not going the right way. The route they are taking is shedding Customers and not picking up many new ones.

What that one or more wrong turns were is something they have to dig into their records, look at the competition, and figure out to get back to moving forward on the path to more Customers coming in than are leaving. Can they do it, or is our destiny to be playing on free-shards?

Buffy

Buffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Wow alright, thank you both for the detailed explanations!! :)

Reply to this topic